• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Changing eye color help

almightycutie

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently working on edits of Harry Potter and something I've wanted to change has been Lily and Harry's eye color since they are different in the final movie. During the flashback sequence the young Lily clearly has brown eyes. I thought I could do a quick color shift but most of the shots her eyes are so dark that I couldn't just change the iris color. It's not the biggest deal, but it would have been nice if they were the same. Any thoughts on changing this, or should this be something to just leave alone?

Not the best quality, but starting around minute 1 -

I've done masks to change eye colour before. If you only want to change a few shots it wouldn't take that much time to do.

How would you suggest going about this one? Do you think changing her really dark eyes would look good still?

I'm unclear from your 1st post what exactly you want to do, to what shots, to which character, at what age, from what colour, to what colour etc?

Here is a quick example of masking I've just done in Vegas Pro 14.0:

52050516066_0b8fc51680_o.jpg

Just two basic circle shapes drawn round the pupils. So you've got them on a separate layer, which you can then change the hue or brightness of to whatever you want, without changing the rest of the shot. The mask can then be fairly quickly animated/motion-tracked in the Event/Pan/Crop window.

That looks great with that footage, but I have a feeling it won't work as well with eyes this dark. I want the young Lily's eyes to go from a dark brown to a lighter blue, much like the color of Ewan's eyes in your post. That way it would match Harry's. Here is a shot of her, and there are several like this, all just as dark. Do you think I could get something natural looking still?
EtoQ-SvWYAAUsLL.jpg

That looks great with that footage, but I have a feeling it won't work as well with eyes this dark.
Yeah, I doubt you'd have much luck adjusting hue/brightness on that. I'd suggest getting a nice clean image of Harry's irises, and try experimenting with overlaying those over hers. Ideally in a way that preserves the reflected highlights from her eyes, eg "lighten only".

That looks great with that footage, but I have a feeling it won't work as well with eyes this dark. I want the young Lily's eyes to go from a dark brown to a lighter blue, much like the color of Ewan's eyes in your post. That way it would match Harry's. Here is a shot of her, and there are several like this, all just as dark. Do you think I could get something natural looking still?
EtoQ-SvWYAAUsLL.jpg
Is that a screenshot from a 1080p source or lower quality?

Hv9zOlo.png

Done in After Effects with the following color settings for the mask:

mFABWOq.png

Last edited:
Wow that looks good! I was trying color replace before, but masking and changing the hue is obviously the right way to go. I pulled that screenshot just from a youtube video so it's low quality. I have my high quality files on my home computer. I'll test it when I'm off work.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the help! I ended up fixing up the whole sequence. I tried to make it a more natural blue/grey color that Harry has. I think it looks pretty great :)

Back
Top Bottom