• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Cats: The Better Edit

fiftyeighthens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

This is an edited version of the feature film Cats (2019). It removes 14 minutes and 26 seconds from the film, or about 14% of its pre-credits running time. This version of the edit is complete.

Many of the songs in Cats are structured with redundant or ill-fitting elements. By removing segments with these qualities, the film can be more consistently enjoyed. Various smaller issues are also corrected, as noted below. My editing goal is to improve what the film aims to achieve, not to impose my own vision upon it.

Problem: The end of the overture stalls before the beginning of "Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats."
Solution: Shorten overhead gib shot to sustain the overture’s energy. Shorten glimpses of cats to amplify Victoria’s reveal, with the final note occurring as Victoria stands alone in the middle of the stage. Shorten the delay between this shot and the beginning of the next song.

Problem: “Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats” contains repetitive and meandering elements.
Solution: Cut a short segment as they arrive at the city fountain. After Macavity looks down on them, cut to the key change at the end to finish the song more quickly.

Problem: Cats scatter too slowly when Macavity approaches after "Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats."
Solution: Slightly trim the shots to hasten their fleeing.

Problem: “The Naming of Cats” introduces confusing narrative elements and lacks musicality.
Solution: Cut the first spoken word segment of Munkustrap’s dialogue. This allows us to get right to the surreal parts of this scene and avoids misleading the audience with the idea that any part of the film’s plot will involve cat names.

Problem: Shots of Jenny scratching herself go on for too long.
Solution: Remove first shot.

Problem: “The Rum Tum Tugger” stalls in the middle of the song.
Solution: Cut the third verse, which is lyrically redundant and includes a number of ill-fitting jokes. Cut Jenny's line “Stop milking it” from Tugger’s crooning towards Victoria.

Problem: Grizabella’s introduction is ponderously slow, and the song she sings is difficult to follow narratively.
Solution: Condense the progression of cats leaving the bar to approach Grizabella. Remove half of her exposition before being interrupted. The line explaining her fate (“Then, she went with Macavity”) is followed by another character saying “No, she lives on the wasteland” which confuses the narrative. The point of the scene is that we understand she lived a bad life in the past and wants to move past it, so we cut this second line.

Problem: "Bustopher Jones" is too long and is thrown off-track by the launch sequence.
Solution: Cut from before the launch sequence to the following sequence. The moment where Jones first glimpses Macavity undercuts the later reveal of Macavity's presence and should be removed, but no practical editing solution presents itself at this time.

Problem: “Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer” has no plot relevance and makes the continuous cat introductions begin to feel tiresome.
Solution: Remove song.

Problem: “Old Deuteronomy” begins in a slow manner with redundant lyrics.
Solution: Remove first verse.

Problem: Uncomfortably long transition between “Memory” and “Beautiful Ghosts.”
Solution: Slightly reduce the delay between songs.

Problem: Old Deuteronomy’s spoken word segment after “Beautiful Ghosts” is indecipherable and confusing.
Solution: Remove segment. Cover up part of the missing music with a reprise of the understated overture as Victoria returns to the theater.

Problem: The tap-dance segment of “Skimbleshanks” stops the momentum of the song dead in its tracks.
Solution: Remove slow tap-dance segment. Remove extra verse on the bridge to maintain momentum.

Problem: "Macavity" is slow, overlong, and the song loses its momentum midway through.
Solution: Cut intro in half, remove two verses.

Problem: The cats waking up after being dazed with catnip is too slow.
Solution: Remove Munkustrap's asking "Where is Old Deuteronomy?"

I'm interested to hear any feedback or suggestions, either in this thread, DM, or emailed to [email protected]. If significant revisions seem they could improve the edit, a new version will be created.

You're seriously tackling the infamous Cats?
That's correct!

When I first saw the film, I found it rather amusing. However, the bizarre energy in the film sags at certain points: I watched it with a couple of friends and noticed they'd be looking at their phones halfway through most of the songs. By tightening it in this manner, I think it retains its momentum much better than the original.

Of course, I can't fix the poor cinematography that plagues a good part of the film or its other curious creative choices, but I think these changes make it much less boring, and therefore more enjoyable to a wide audience.

That's correct!

When I first saw the film, I found it rather amusing. However, the bizarre energy in the film sags at certain points: I watched it with a couple of friends and noticed they'd be looking at their phones halfway through most of the songs. By tightening it in this manner, I think it retains its momentum much better than the original.

Of course, I can't fix the poor cinematography that plagues a good part of the film or its other curious creative choices, but I think these changes make it much less boring, and therefore more enjoyable to a wide audience.
My goodness! Well, better you than I, I salute your bravery and fortitude!
(Also hello! I'm new.)

What a trip! It's a strange journey. This edit is flawless. It's also approved, even without the "buttholes". Congratulations! @fiftyeighthens! Sorry, it took years to get approved.

Last edited:
Thank you! I appreciate your assistance - and thanks for the great cover art! I'll be interested to provide some feedback for other folks' edits and submit some of my other edits in the future.

Back
Top Bottom