• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Casablanca Widescreen Project

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m working on an edit of Casablanca that is a widescreen aspect ratio instead of the original 4:3. I’ve always felt like the movie didn’t feel very theatrical because of the 4:3 ratio and I’m curious how it will look. I intend to crop the film to 16:9 (could change) and reposition each scene so it fits the space.

Anyone worked on a similar project to change the aspect ratio of a film from full screen to widescreen? Any advice before I tackle this would be appreciated.

How will you approach shots like this?
5775_8_large.jpg

That shot wouldn't be too bad. You could most likely crop from bottom.

I’m working on an edit of Casablanca that is a widescreen aspect ratio instead of the original 4:3. I’ve always felt like the movie didn’t feel very theatrical because of the 4:3 ratio and I’m curious how it will look. I intend to crop the film to 16:9 (could change) and reposition each scene so it fits the space.

Anyone worked on a similar project to change the aspect ratio of a film from full screen to widescreen? Any advice before I tackle this would be appreciated.
Spence cropped every single frame of their Dune edit. I previewed their edit extensively multiple times. I can't begin to imagine the time it took. It's a remarkable achievement. You might reach out to them.

That shot wouldn't be too bad. You could most likely crop from bottom.
Agreed. That shot would be a relatively simple one. If it was a close up, it would present a bit more of a challenge. Even still, you could maintain most of their faces.

Well, I've reframed whole 4 hours of ZSJL from 4:3 to 2.31:1 before re-editing it for Remixed edit (and first Avengers from 1.78:1 to 2.35:1) and it took a huge amount of time.
It's not always only cropping, sometimes there's also a need for panning during the shot to keep what's important in the frame, but when there's not many dynamic shots and no action scenes, I suppose there won't be a need to do much of this type of tweaking. Anyway, Sony Vegas has all the tools needed for it.

Also, remember that sometimes it is better to put upper end of the frame across someone's forehead instead of just cutting out the tip of his/her head.

This shot here doesn't look hard to do. There's nothing important at the bottom of the frame.

Last edited:
In close-ups where you want to keep the full height, you can try to stretch the image and overlay the same shot in the original 1.37:1. Then smooth the edge of the top layer until the transition between layers is seamless. Success will depend on what's in the background though.

In close-ups where you want to keep the full height, you can try to stretch the image and overlay the same shot in the original 1.37:1. Then smooth the edge of the top layer until the transition between layers is seamless. Success will depend on what's in the background though.
...and if it's locked or panning etc....OUCH!

Honestly the thing I think is going to be the most daunting is the opening credits. It fills up the entire frame top to bottom and there's really no way to crop it. I think I might add in a similar design background to the sides to fill the space.

Honestly the thing I think is going to be the most daunting is the opening credits. It fills up the entire frame top to bottom and there's really no way to crop it. I think I might add in a similar design background to the sides to fill the space.
You could remake the credits?

You know I didn’t even think about that. Do think it would be hard to make it match the same amount of (is grit the word?) So that it blends and doesn’t look like something that is clearly made from modern times?

You can add film grain, but it might not have the exact same look.

Sorry I'm new to the forums, I'm trying to figure out how to upload an image. Any help anyone? It's here but it won't let me insert it:
If this is how you're going to do it, try going with frame adjustment as well. Most softwares will let you do this; where you can set the timeline to 1920x817 (typical 2.35:1 ratio), set it to "full frame with crop," and use the X/Y adiustment tool to raise it up or down.

That way at least you're not... ya know... chopping off Paul Henreid's head.

If you're cropping the film, I'd recommend turning on a "Rule of Thirds" guide and following that to the best of your abilities. When framing an image, the subject should only take up one third of the image and the background two thirds. If the subject is too small they seem distant, too close they seem overwhelming. The image you showed evenly cropped the top and bottom instead of shifting the image to follow the rule of thirds. I'd recommend something more like this...
casablanca_orig.png

As you can see, the shoulders of the character on the left line up almost perfectly with the "Rule of Thirds", thus signifying HE is the main subject of the shot and also cutting off less of his head. Although you see less of the female character, this image still follows the rule of thirds and doesn't cut off any of their faces, which is the most important part of a closeup. If you're doing anything with cropping, you MUST learn the "Rule of Thirds" or your edit will have no more value than if I were to rip the disc and crop it with Handbrake.
Most editing software has a "Rule of Thirds" option built in but if worst comes to worst, you can overlay a transparent image while lining up each shot.

Back
Top Bottom