• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Captain Scarlet: The Lunar Trilogy Re-Cut

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3A63WjU.jpg

Starting out as a re-cut of Attack on Cloudbase, incorporating Dangerous Rendezvous as its starting point, this edit now includes all three of the Lunar Trilogy episodes for continuity: Lunarville 7, Crater 101, Dangerous Rendezvous, and ending with Attack on Cloudbase.

The trilogy flow into each other, and as per the 80s compilation film, the first two instalments' Mysteron threats don't impact on the plot, and are thus removed. The cross-fade from Lunarville 7 to Crater 101 is included in my edit, but I improve on the transition between Crater 101 and Dangerous Rendezvous with an earlier cut and a 'One month later' caption.

Initially I included the Dangerous Rendezvous Mysteron threat of destroying Cloudbase as per its original position, however this jars and stands out in my edit, as the threat appears out of nowhere. Added to this, I clearly couldn't use the original title sequence with the threat two thirds into the edit! The compliation's cut to a starfield, again would appear to be too noticeable an edit.

Instead, when White contacts the Mysterons, their reply is that they have not forgotten or forgiven the Earthmen and that they intend to destroy Cloudbase. This becomes the lead into Attack on Cloudbase. (The original lead-in on the compliation VHS is Seek and Destroy's ending, with Symphony - suddenly entering the story - returning to Cloudbase. Not only was this a weak lead-in, but the desert sequences are removed from my edit, thus Symphony is not stranded and the attack is no longer a dream.)

I have been fortunate to acquire the Fanderson CD soundtrack collection. Some - not all - of the original compilation music added atmosphere to the original episodes. I've added a few cues in a few places, largely the space music from Shadow of Fear. I've also included a few Star Trek: Original Series cues - literally only two.

Attack on Cloudbase Re-Cut

A re-cut of my favourite Captain Scarlet episode, I re-structure the episode so that the attack is not Symphony's dream, as per the old compilation VHS (albeit using my own ending instead of the cheap effects and reversal of time we were given, and removing some cringe-worthy out-of-character moments!). This was the penultimate episode; a clip show ended the series. Now my new cut presents an alternate ending to this classic '60s series.

Significant changes:

Two alternate title sequences are available on the DVD. A different opening narration, and Donald Gray warning not to imitate Captain Scarlet. I use the former.

I have removed as many moments as possible that indicate suspicion that the Lunarville Commander and Fraser are Mysteron agents until they both admit they are. This is to add more mystery and not give the game away quite so soon.

The sequences regarding Linda Nolan's attraction to Captain Scarlet have been cut, thus providing a slicker move into Dangerous Rendezvous.

Once the Mysterons reply in Dangerous Rendezvous the rest of that episode is cut and we move into Attack on Cloudbase. A few sequences between White and Blue regarding preparations for an attack, are retained from Dangerous Rendezvous, and used here, but otherwise the story moves onto Attack on Cloudbase. As such, the original plot of the crystal being a ticking bomb is cut, but since there is no suggestion or interference of this earlier on, this does not matter.

All of Symphony's scenes have been cut. She is no longer stuck out in the desert.

The majority of out-of-character moments, including, where possible, Captain Magenta's overly keen dialogue, and Lieutenant Green's bitter sarcasm at Scarlet being indestructible.

I have kept White's 'haircut' line to Scarlet, but removed Scarlet's OTT response with Blue.

Destiny's exaggerated exasperation at being ordered out of the Angel, has been trimmed down.

Only the back of Black is seen now, disguising who he really is. The close up and reaction of Blue have been cut.

The Ending

As White is spinning I cross fade to the Mysteron base giving the impression they have been observing events.

A short sequence of the Mysteron base and planet, and space shots end the edit, incorporating the threat from Shadow of Fear, before we move into a shot of the Earth.

It was really difficult to know how to end the edit, and that Mysteron threat was the only suitable one.

I include a small verse immediately after this talking about how the fight goes on, before moving into new end credits.

Special thanks to Malthus for creating new end credits, as with such a bleak ending the originals didn't seem appropriate.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Terrific idea. Always loved the 'doomsday nightmare' episodes of Anderson productions. I recall Terrahawks had one as well but it was fairly shorter, and the compilation's ending was a bold risk to inflict on an innocent five year old at the time. War is hell.

I think you should go for it.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes! More Anderson is a good thing.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Yes! More Anderson is a good thing.

Agreed. I look forward to following your progress with this @"the warlord". I've been toying with the idea of doing a Space Precinct edit. My daughter and I are currently working through Stingray and it's got me in a very nostalgic mood. It's nice to know there are other Anderson fans on here.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anyone wants a preview before I submit to IFDB, please do let me know. This is my first Captain Scarlet edit so feedback would be good :)

If this works, I'm thinking of extending the edit so that we start with Lunarville 7, lead into Crater 101, and then follow it up with the majority of this edit. My own movie version, if you like.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
If anyone wants a preview before I submit to IFDB, please do let me know. This is my first Captain Scarlet edit so feedback would be good :)

If this works, I'm thinking of extending the edit so that we start with Lunarville 7, lead into Crater 101, and then follow it up with the majority of this edit. My own movie version, if you like.

You know what? You should make a Captain Scarlet movie using every episode where Spectrum fails. :cool:

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
The Warlord said:

You know what? You should make a Captain Scarlet movie using every episode where Spectrum fails. :cool:
Go on...? :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
Zarius said:
The Warlord said:

Go on...? :)

I'll have to refresh my memory, but I recall a few instances where the Mysterons did successfully carry out their objectives, it made the war a whole lot more interesting in the series. I was thinking if you could find the episodes in your collection where that happens, you could stitch together a feature edit where the war's totally one-sided and the Mysterons just beat Spectrum at every turn, culminating in the destruction of Cloudbase :cool:

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now THAT sounds good! I may just do that after this one! :)

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone here own the Captain Scarlet Fanderson 3 CD Soundtrack from 2015? If so, do you know if any of the incidental music from the two compliation VHS is included? I. e. The two edited film versions that were VHS only. Originally Vol 1 and 2.

Or to put it another way... Apart from the opening and closing credits, was the 'added-in' extra music for the two compilation films' music, also used in the series?

There's a couple of space-type segments, and a triumphant piece at the end of Captain Scarlet vs the Mysterons that I would particularly like to use.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Currently watching...still pretty rough, some audio missing, a couple of hard cuts...but I think at this stage you want commentary on the narrative, so I'll provide.

I like how you try to merge the Mysteron communication plot, I get the impression the Mysterons locked on to Cloud Base's location when White used the crystal...maybe a bit of custom audio could make that explicit? Maybe recruit a voice actor for it? I presume there will be some voice acting for the final scene, or are you saving that bit for a music cue?

It's still coming together, but I think there's something coherent building here.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Zarius! Always appreciate your feedback :)

What audio missing/hard cuts are you referring to? I don't recall any on my examination...? There's a slight pause in audio when we flashback/return to the present, but that emphasises the flashback.

Regarding the narrative... The Mysteron threat of destroying Cloudbase (their threat in both Dangerous Rendezvous and Attack on Cloudbase, oddly), coupled with Spectrum attempting to communicate with the Mysterons serves to open the story. The Mysterons' response: attack!

Does that make sense?

The end sequence of Cloudbase blowing up, along with the Mysterons warning that the 'eye that dares to look upon our planet has been destroyed' serves as the conclusion to the story.

Due to the morbid ending, I used scrolling credits kindly supplied by Malthus, along with more appropriate music.

Does that all make sense?

Please do let me know.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:
Thanks Zarius! Always appreciate your feedback :)

What audio missing/hard cuts are you referring to? I don't recall any on my examination...? There's a slight pause in audio when we flashback/return to the present, but that emphasises the flashback.

Regarding the narrative... The Mysteron threat of destroying Cloudbase (their threat in both Dangerous Rendezvous and Attack on Cloudbase, oddly), coupled with Spectrum attempting to communicate with the Mysterons serves to open the story. The Mysterons' response: attack!

Does that make sense?

The end sequence of Cloudbase blowing up, along with the Mysterons warning that the 'eye that dares to look upon our planet has been destroyed' serves as the conclusion to the story.

Due to the morbid ending, I used scrolling credits kindly supplied by Malthus, along with more appropriate music.

Does that all make sense?

Please do let me know.

Are you sure you sent me a polished version? Because what I watched looked an awful lot like an incomplete draft. There were missing music cues, abrupt crossfade and hard cuts, and no opening voice-over narration, and certainly no end music.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I may have sent you the wrong one then, I'm so sorry!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warlord said:

Just an FYI the version you sent me certainly contained music over the credits. I'm in the process of writing up my feedback.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
The Warlord said:

Just an FYI the version you sent me certainly contained music over the credits. I'm in the process of writing up my feedback.
Great!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
The Warlord said:

Most strange. 

Warlord is sending me the file again, I don't think there's issues with my PC or anything, but I'll take your word for it. Did you play the file in anything other than windows media player?

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Did you play the file in anything other than windows media player?

I used VLC which is my go to media player.

Top Bottom