• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

JosephDQuinn

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

This is my first post on this site ever so I apologize in advance if I'm doing something wrong. Anyway, lets cut to the chase!

I had a few issues with Captain Marvel. Not the issues most people have (I actually really like Brie Larson in the role). My issue is with the editing.
I saw a great video by Nando V Movies on YouTube recently that discussed the curious editing of Artemis Fowl, mainly it's very apparent use of ADR to change the narrative.

I know this is probably very common in movies, but I was surprised how noticeable it was in Captain Marvel (not nearly as noticeable as TFATWS, but that's a whole other topic).
I was also VERY surprised at how great some of the deleted scenes are. Scenes that actually developed the characters were cut for scenes filled with expository dialog about the Kree/Skrull war; scenes with obvious cutaways and ADR that do Larson's performance no justice. Seriously, half her reaction shots were likely meant for original dialog we never got to hear. It's not Brie Larson's fault the character wasn't well liked! (Okay maybe the press tour stuff about put people off, but give her a break.) Personally, I believe she did a great job with what she was given.

So, in my first fan edit in over 4 years, I decided to fix what I found to be the biggest issues with Captain Marvel by giving Carol Danvers a legitimate character arc (regaining your memory is not an arc) and giving the audience a more clear antagonist in the Supreme Intelligence.

I'd love to hear what you think about Captain Marvel. After I make a few more forum posts I should be able to officially submit my edits (I've got several on deck already, mostly Marvel and DC stuff, but there's a Star Wars prequel thrown into the mix. I know... SO original!)

(Also, again, if this post is in the wrong place, please exercise patience with me. I'm a big fan of this community and would like to become a more active member!)

I was just thinking about Captain Marvel and how to solve its two biggest (in my opinion) problems last night. Problem one, the memory loss plot device doesn't mesh with dreams that obviously spell out to the audience that she's a human. Problem two, being gone with the Kree for five years is really excessive, it means that she has no cultural connection to the 90s (she's been gone since 1989) so like the Nirvana song in her head makes no sense, and it also means that she's only known Monica as a REALLY little kid so that connection is cheaper or thinner than it could be.

My simple solutions to these problems (but not the only solutions by any means):
1. Make the dreams not about herself and her past, but about the tesseract, or the infinity stones if there's not enough footage of the cube to support the idea on its own. Her dreams can be memories from the stone(s) This upholds the mystery of her past for the would-be first-time viewer, so "we" find out she's human when she finds out, and it allows the dialogue about dreams to be kept in. Edit: this also frees up the footage that was in the dreams to be instead used in a beefier memory reveal.
2. Cut out the five years reference, if possible swap it out for someone saying six months, one year, two years, any long-enough but reasonably shorter amount of time. If it's not possible, don't reference it in dialogue, and instead use a setting card to specify years with text on screen. It's an old and unsubtle trick, like ADR, but it works.

Last edited:
You had me at "Nando," I'm excited to see where this goes!

Welcome @JosephDQuinn , We've moved this thread to ITW. The Fixes, Mixes & TV forum is for approved editors. When you have completed this edit please submit it to the academy to become an approved editor and have it listed on IFDB. Happy editing!

Welcome @JosephDQuinn , We've moved this thread to ITW. The Fixes, Mixes & TV forum is for approved editors. When you have completed this edit please submit it to the academy to become an approved editor and have it listed on IFDB. Happy editing!
My edit is done! But I can't submit yet, I think. The FAQ said something about making 5 forum posts first.

I was just thinking about Captain Marvel and how to solve its two biggest (in my opinion) problems last night. Problem one, the memory loss plot device doesn't mesh with dreams that obviously spell out to the audience that she's a human. Problem two, being gone with the Kree for five years is really excessive, it means that she has no cultural connection to the 90s (she's been gone since 1989) so like the Nirvana song in her head makes no sense, and it also means that she's only known Monica as a REALLY little kid so that connection is cheaper or thinner than it could be.

My simple solutions to these problems (but not the only solutions by any means):
1. Make the dreams not about herself and her past, but about the tesseract, or the infinity stones if there's not enough footage of the cube to support the idea on its own. Her dreams can be memories from the stone(s) This upholds the mystery of her past for the would-be first-time viewer, so "we" find out she's human when she finds out, and it allows the dialogue about dreams to be kept in. Edit: this also frees up the footage that was in the dreams to be instead used in a beefier memory reveal.
2. Cut out the five years reference, if possible swap it out for someone saying six months, one year, two years, any long-enough but reasonably shorter amount of time. If it's not possible, don't reference it in dialogue, and instead use a setting card to specify years with text on screen. It's an old and unsubtle trick, like ADR, but it works.
I feel like I solved the dream sequences problem in my edit. I moved almost all the flashbacks of Carol and Maria to the beginning dream, and focused the Kree memory probe strictly on finding Lawson. I know this removes the mystery element of her backstory but honestly I feel like that mystery wasn't necessary. In my edit, the audience learns more about Carol than she learns about herself, putting us one step ahead of her as she remembers who she is.

I hadn't considered the five years later problem, but that makes a lot of sense. I think it's not as glaring of an issue in my edit though.

Ok, sounds like my issues with the film don't align with yours. Good luck anyway.

Last edited:
(I have a feeling this will get moved to “In the works” again, despite the edit being completed)

I restored almost all of the deleted scenes and focused the movie by giving Carol Danvers a much more clear character arc.
A brand new opening sequence that fleshes out the Carol’s character in her dream sequence before she wakes up on Hala. Tons of expository dialog has been cut to keep the Skrulls more mysterious and to avoid the Supreme Intelligence and Yon Rog being obviously villainous (I think it supposed to be a twist in the theatrical cut? Lol)
Made a few alterations to the score and soundtrack as well. Also removed the post credits scene because this version is meant to be watched earlier in the MCU timeline.

I think I’ve made enough forum posts to actually be eligible to post my edit, but I believe it needs to be reviewed first?

If you’d like to see it, DM me with proof of ownership of Captain Marvel! Can’t wait for feedback!

Duplicate threads merged

(I have a feeling this will get moved to “In the works” again, despite the edit being completed)
Correct, for the same reason as the quoted post below.

If the edit is completed, please submit the edit if you are done. When it is approved it can be moved to the completed section, listed on IFDB and you can receive your faneditor badge. I'd you haven't met the requirements to submit that you mentioned above, simply meet the requirements by posting.

Duplicate threads merged

Correct, for the same reason as the quoted post below.

If the edit is completed, please submit the edit if you are done. When it is approved it can be moved to the completed section, listed on IFDB and you can receive your faneditor badge. I'd you haven't met the requirements to submit that you mentioned above, simply meet the requirements by posting.
I believe I’ve met the requirements by posting at least 5 times. How do I submit?

Last edited:
I feel like I solved the dream sequences problem in my edit. I moved almost all the flashbacks of Carol and Maria to the beginning dream, and focused the Kree memory probe strictly on finding Lawson. I know this removes the mystery element of her backstory but honestly I feel like that mystery wasn't necessary. In my edit, the audience learns more about Carol than she learns about herself, putting us one step ahead of her as she remembers who she is.
I like this idea a lot. That's creative editing, I'd love to see how well it pays off. I've been waiting for a Captain Marvel edit to get excited for.

I had an opportunity to glance through some of this edit. There are some video quality issues that will require a revist to ripping sources for the movie and deleted scenes in lossless to create a higher fideltiy and clarity in the picture

For those who may want a simplified approach to creating a source for an edit from a blu ray, here's a quick and easy guide.
  1. Rip blu ray using MakeMKV
  2. Load MKV file into avidemux
    1. video = copy
    2. audio = compatible format with your NLE (select the track you want using the menu > select track > check box track > set file type and bitrate
    3. Container = MP4
    4. Save
    5. Edit and Enjoy :)

Any deleted scenes you didn't add, Joseph?
The only scene not put back in is the scene of rookie Coulson in the hallway helping Talos into Keller's office. I thought about using it because I'm such a Coulson fan, but when Talos gets into the office we see the really Keller dead on the floor, since Talos is impersonating him. I felt this made him not as redeemable when the twist is revealed that the Skrulls are actually the victims. Otherwise every other deleted scene on the standard Bluray is restored!

Speaking of my love for Coulson, I recently picked up Agents of SHIELD to play around with condensing the seasons. I had the idea to put a sample of the score over shots of Coulson to give him a motif and tie the series into the greater MCU a bit more! I haven't done it yet but was going to play around with it.

I figured I would start sharing some clips while I await approval!
Here is the opening scene, from the MCU logo through to the new introduction of Yon Rogg. This is one of the biggest changes that I hope sets the tone for the rest of the edit.

Last edited:
Speaking of my love for Coulson, I recently picked up Agents of SHIELD to play around with condensing the seasons. I had the idea to put a sample of the score over shots of Coulson to give him a motif and tie the series into the greater MCU a bit more! I haven't done it yet but was going to play around with it.

Here is Coulson's intro with the Agents of SHIELD theme!

Last edited:
This edit is approved. JosephDQuinn has been a trooper in applying adjustments and ensuring this edit is ready for IFDb. Welcome to the fanediting club. Keep up the quality work!

Back
Top Bottom