• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
so If I used 5000 and 8000, wouldn't I end up with a lower quality video?

Not necessarily, it depends on how well your source compresses. Use the 6GB file and don't worry about making it 8GB because the bitrate you put in is almost certainly more than sufficient. It seems that your problem is with DVD Architect. I don't have the program, but if you trim out a tiny section of your lagarith AVI with Virtualdub and upload it, I'll encode it in different ways to try to find one that DVD Architect will accept without recompressing.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, I'll definitely take advantage of your offer. It will have to be next week, however, because I'm away from my computer this weekend.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This thread is quite useful, and therefore is now stuck.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More help please...I'm on a new laptop, and when I try to load my script into HCenc, I get the following message:

error loading Avisynth script, No compatible ACM codec to decode 0x2000 audio stream to PCM.

I'm sure I'm just missing a codec that is installed on my older PC, but is there a way to find out which one? Or is there a recommended one to install?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Post your script. I suspect that you have an AVI with AC-3 or some other form of audio that you lack an ACM codec for, but HCEnc encodes only video anyway.

You could try:

AviSource("whatever.avi", false)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On my phone atm but can post the script later.

I muxed the ac3 with the avi before trying to load it in HC. Should I mux the audio after encoding instead?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, that did the trick. I somehow forgot that part of the workflow.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain, have you tried D2MP? If so, any luck?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't because I tend to dislike all-in-one solutions. The way I see it is that if I take each step myself and something goes wrong, I know where it's gone wrong. However, I've glanced at the developer's website and he seems to know what he is doing. The presence of a free DVD menu authoring tool is nice.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it looks like a nice tool. However, like anything else on the encoding end of things that I touch, it has failed. Some sort of integer overflow bs. The encoded DVD looks like VHS. FML.

So I decided to try and trudge through your guide (no offense, but scripts just make an ADD mind short circuit), and I've hit a point of failure already. I was looking to see what my color space was, and mediainfo tells me that it's "grey"

Complete name : L:\MARS_ATTACKS_FINAL_APOCALYPSE_LAG_RENDER\FINAL_VERSION_12_20_12.aviFormat : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 51.7 GiB
Duration : 1h 17mn
Overall bit rate : 95.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : Lagarith
Codec ID : LAGS
Duration : 1h 17mn
Bit rate : 94.9 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : Grey
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 4.295
Stream size : 51.6 GiB (100%)

So yeah. FML.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
I was looking to see what my color space was, and mediainfo tells me that it's "grey"

It ought not to say that. How did you make this lagarith AVI? Was your source a Blu-ray that you downscaled to 720p? I need to know your whole workflow, but I suspect that you did something wrong when rendering from your NLE.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bluray to mkv, mkv to lagarith avi downscaled to 720p. Edited in Vegas, rendered to lagarith avi.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Run Mediainfo on the original lagarith AVI, which I assume you made with Virtualdub What's the color space?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that would most likely be RGB. Vegas requires this still.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Of course it would, but I'm trying to narrow down where in his workflow something went wrong.

Reave, can you upload a sample of the AVI?

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The final render?

Top Bottom