• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Can I split the audio in Davinci resolve?

PJGreen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys

I'm new to this so bear with if it's obvious. I have 5.1 audio all in one audio track and it would be very useful to edit each track individually. Is there any way to edit them without affecting the other?

Can't attach a screenshot as I'm a new user

I use Resolve and edit in 5.1. My process is I keep all 6 channels in 1 track UNTIL I want to process one or more channels separately. Let’s say I need to process the center channel separately:

Steps:
1. On the Edit screen turn snapping on by clicking the magnet icon
2. Create another 5.1 audio track
3. Duplicate the track/clip quickly by holding down the Alt key while dragging the clip to the other track. Be sure they are aligned.
4. Right click on a clip and select clip attributes.
5. Mute the channels you don’t want so the clip on track 1 is everything except center and the clip on track 2 is just center.

You can do this for all 6 channels separately on the entire timeline if you want but this is cumbersome and crossfades can sound perfect most of the time keeping all channels on 1 track.

So for me the parts that need separate processing are separated in small sections of the timeline and only separated to the extent they need to be.

Last edited:
Here’s an example from my timeline. The green is a full 5.1 track. The pink is where I removed the center channel. The orange is center channel only with moved dialogue. The teal is center channel only adding back in low volume music score so it doesn’t sound empty and dead.

full

Assuming you have the audio tracks set to the standard 5.1 setting (not film):
In the menu go to Fairlight Bus setting and change it from Stereo to 5.1 surround (not film). This will set your exports audio to surround.

Back
Top Bottom