• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Buttons - moving shape next to text

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to create a menu where there is text in a column like this with a shape next to the text:

PLAY *
CHAPTERS
TRAILER
EXTRAS

So I would like the asterisk it self to be the selection so if i press select it would play, if i press down it moves next to the chapters. I know the actual assigning of the buttons I will have to do with DVD Lab Pro but im curious as about how to create the moveable icon.

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is the asterisk going to be highlighted button or a solid button? If highlighted button then just make four of them and put it on "Invisible Normal" for each of them, but if it is a solid button then that is a bit tricky because that involves copying the menu with the same amount of buttons you have on the screen, if I remember right. Since you have 4 buttons, then you have to have 8 main menus! I think that is a limitation of DVD Lab Pro, along with a few minor other things, but still a great program. :Yellow_Flash_Colorz

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STANKPAC said:
Is the asterisk going to be highlighted button or a solid button? If highlighted button then just make four of them and put it on "Invisible Normal" for each of them, but if it is a solid button then that is a bit tricky because that involves copying the menu with the same amount of buttons you have on the screen, if I remember right. Since you have 4 buttons, then you have to have 8 main menus! I think that is a limitation of DVD Lab Pro, along with a few minor other things, but still a great program. :Yellow_Flash_Colorz

I actually hadn't decided about highlighted or a solid button. But sounds like a solid button is the way to go. Anyway, I don't think highlighting is necessary for what I am trying to do. Thanks STANKPAC for the explanation. Much appreciated. One other quick question, would the "Invisible Normal" work if I had four different symbols (i.e. * % $ #)?

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
I actually hadn't decided about highlighted or a solid button. But sounds like a solid button is the way to go. Anyway, I don't think highlighting is necessary for what I am trying to do. Thanks STANKPAC for the explanation. Much appreciated. One other quick question, would the "Invisible Normal" work if I had four different symbols (i.e. * % $ #)?
If you were doing highlighted buttons it would work, but since you want to do sold buttons, you have to make the requisite menus and then you have to put it on the one that says "Visible". I believe in Dvd Lab Pro there is 4 options, it would be the first option for solid buttons.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I'm still having some trouble doing this. It seems to work using Invisible Normal (Highlight Only). However the Highlighting obscures the button image (I am having a chinese character as the button, and the highlighting obscures the detail). Invisible Selected does not seem to be working in making them invisible except when selected. If anyone has any idea how I can fix this.

Just for clarification I basically want to do something where for the main menu there are two options

Play and Scene Selection

And i want the layout to be like this

Play *
Scene Selection

And if you pressed the down arrow on your remote the result would be

Play
Scene Selection *

Again, I can get the desired effect with Invisible Normal (highlight only) but the highlighting on the chinese character doesn't look good, id rather have no highlighting. And I can't seem to get Invisible Selected to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if my post is repetitive, its kind of hard to describe what I want to achieve and the problems Im running into in words!

Also, is there a way to do a "transparent" highlight or something maybe so it just looks normal instead of bold?

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Again, I can get the desired effect with Invisible Normal (highlight only) but the highlighting on the chinese character doesn't look good, id rather have no highlighting. And I can't seem to get Invisible Selected to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if my post is repetitive, its kind of hard to describe what I want to achieve and the problems Im running into in words!

Also, is there a way to do a "transparent" highlight or something maybe so it just looks normal instead of bold?

Like I mentioned before, that is unfortunately a slight limitation in LabPro. I have run into the same problem as you Gatos many times, the detail either gets lost or when highlighted it doesn't even look like the shape I placed there. What you can do is to maybe tone down the color intensity of whatever color you gave your object by moving the slider to the left and see how it looks. Lastly, can you elaborate as best you can on your Invisible Selected problem. Invisible Selected is used for let's say when you go from Chapter page to Chapter page. Meaning if you notice on studio DVD movies when you go to there Chapter page menu and you use the cursor arrow to move from chapter box to chapter box (e.g. chapter 1 to chapter 2), but if you move the arrow lets say to the right it goes to next chapter page and highlights the lets say the first chapter box on that page. The object or button is on the page and will always be invisible and is used more for navigational purposes. I used Invisible Selected buttons (Auto-action box checked) on my Episode 3 edit and it works just fine. However, if you think they are not working because maybe you are using the DVD preview button and nothing is happening. Don't worry about it just link them to where they need to go, test compile, and check it for yourself to see if it works. ;-)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I was confused about what Invisible Selected does. I thought it would give me the desired effect of the button being invisible unless it was selected. But based on your description, that is not what it does.

Top Bottom