• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Budget External Blu-ray Drive

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My birthday is coming up and I've requested an external Blu-ray drive so that I can make use of HD sources. I've been told I can have the money for one, but I need to do the research (works for me). 
My budget is approx £50, with some wiggle room. I could possibly go as high as £70, but don't want to push my luck unnecessarily. 

Any recommendations? (Remember, I need a UK player!) 

Not sure how much of a factor my computer is, but I operate on a Windows 7 Desktop (and quite an old one).

Thanks!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the external ones seem to have really gone up in price of late that one I posted was only £53 the other day but has gone up a bit now, any particular reason you want an external one as you would probably need usb3 ports on your pc as well if you wanted to use it for writing bluray discs as well.  An internal one wil be sata so the data transfer rate internally is much faster for writing discs unless you have usb3 slots.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just convenience really. I suppose I could replace my DVD drive with an internal Blu-ray Drive, although I'm not familiar with how I would go about fitting it.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

2 minute job undo 4 retaining screws /unplug power and sata cable from old drive/ slide drive out / slide new drive in put cables and screws back in. It only takes a little longer than it took me to type that. No faffing with usb cables either everytime you use it. Zero tech skill required and ignore the static strap nonsense

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, Sinbad. Is it generally cheaper to get an internal drive then?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That pioneer one you originally shared on the Source Code Thread looks like a good bet. I think @"Q2" recommended it on another thread as well.

Are there any factors I need to consider, such as the size/will it fit my computer? Is it worth bundling with software or should I stick with freeware?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Thanks, Sinbad. Is it generally cheaper to get an internal drive then?

I know this isn't directed at me, but as someone who builds their own PC's I can say that yes, typically internal components are cheaper than external. And the videos Scribbling posted on how to replace an internal burner is good.

Replacing components are quite easy these days in comparison to the 90's. Cables can only be plugged in one way, so it's really hard to screw it up. :)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I know this isn't directed at me...

It matters not. You're always welcome on my threads, Q2  :D

And the videos Sinbad posted on how to replace an internal burner is good.

FTFY ;)

Indeed. I'll be making use of them when the time comes...

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
That pioneer one you originally shared on the Source Code Thread looks like a good bet. I think @"Q2" recommended it on another thread as well.

Are there any factors I need to consider, such as the size/will it fit my computer? Is it worth bundling with software or should I stick with freeware?

All internal optical drives are 5.25" so if you buy an internal DVD or BR drive it will fit. Simply unplug the two cables from the back of the drive, unscrew it and take it out, slide the new one in, screw it in, and reconnect the cables. It should be as easy as that.

I wouldn't bundle software with it simply because it will probably be shareware and require purchasing it anyway.

The drive I have  is the Pioneer BDR-209DBK ($68) but there is a newer model out, the BDR-2209 ($80). If you're looking for something a little cheaper you could go with the LG WH14NS40 ($50), a brand ThrowgnCpr recommends.

These are US prices.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
The drive I have  is the Pioneer BDR-209DBK ($68)... 

Yup. That's the one. It's going for around £50ish atm, which is one of the cheaper options. 

...but there is a newer model out, the BDR-2209 ($80). 

Nearly twice the price in the UK. I think the 209 is looking like a good option. Thanks, guys!  :)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Might be worth just opening up your pc to have a quick look, some retail PC's (Dells usually)  have sliding catches etc to get the drive out(still easy though). You know exactly what you are dealing with before you order then. That one i posted burns onto 128gb discs too, thats some serious quality could fit on a disc that size.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will do. My PC was custom made by a mate of mine, but I'll have a nosey anywho.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if its custom made should be a nice straight forward case to get things in/out its the dell/hp stuff that usually do things a slightly different

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a side note, I've found that although External blu-rays drive can run off just the USB cable power supply, this too often is the cause for failed burns. With it also plugged into the mains, I've never had a bad disc with the drive I've got currently.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazon got promo on today in uk £10 off if you spend £50 so you pick that drive up for £55

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ive ended up one buying one myself £47 from amazon not in stock at the min but not in any major rush. Fancied an upgrade to a writer.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
ive ended up one buying one myself £47 from amazon not in stock at the min but not in any major rush. Fancied an upgrade to a writer.

Which model was that?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pioneer bdr209ebk retail its £57.78 but if you use the promo code 'bigthanks' you get £10 off, it says not in stock for 1 month but they wqont charge the card till its dispatched and of then you check back a week later and they have them

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
pioneer bdr209ebk retail its £57.78 but if you use the promo code 'bigthanks' you get £10 off, it says not in stock for 1 month but they wqont charge the card till its dispatched and of then you check back a week later and they have them

Odd. That's showing up as in stock and £59.99 on my amazon.

Top Bottom