• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

BUCKAROO BANZAI: The VHS TV Edition

fYs4ueGl.png

;)

So since I had the entire BB DVD still on the old Hard Drive, I decided to make an Expanded Workprint for myself.

--replaced the theatrical opening with the original prologue starring Jaime Lee Curtis
--inserted all of the deleted/alternate scenes, which increased the runtime an additional 10 minutes

--and for additional fun, I swapped out the classic Boddicker music for the End Titles Banzai March with Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl".

Why you ask?
Well, according to legend, when it came time to shoot the end sequence march, Boddicker did not have the score finished yet,
and advised the director to use the Billy Joel song for the the actors to strut to because it would have the exact same tempo.

Thus, out of curiosity, I wondered what that would have looked like? Obviously, when it came time to edit the film, they cut it to Boddicker's theme, so the Joel song does not match up perfectly, but in the actual strut sequences, you can believe it was Uptown Girl they were listening to....

😁

It's funny, when that WW84 trailer dropped with this song, I was pretty damn hyped.. and man did that move utterly fail to live up to the hype they set. But damn it works great for trailers with the right 80s context. It makes me wonder what an ultra-80s audio revamp would do for BB.. but ultimately, it's totally quirky music is perfect and seems it would be sacrilege to fuss with!

1118211656.jpg

And here it is! And wow it's thick, I expected like 300 pages max, around the length of the movie novelization, but here we are at 600+ pages. I'm super stoked, can't wait to dive into this thing!

And here it is! And wow it's thick, I expected like 300 pages max, around the length of the movie novelization, but here we are at 600+ pages. I'm super stoked, can't wait to dive into this thing!

I am about 50-60 pages in... and well, much like the bonkers movie, the story so far is very, very dense, eccentric, scatterbrained, comical, sad and bizarre. While I am enjoying it, it is proving to be a challenging read.🤪

this was great fun and loved the commercials
Glad you enjoyed it. It was a blast to make and reliving all those classic commercials might have been more fun than the actual edit. lol

"...reminded me of my childhood..." :love: @Charlie Abs you have made my day.

Thank You for taking the time to post a review.

THANK YOU @ParanoidAndroid for your review!

The only issue is that now I wish there were more episodes!

Ha ha ha! Be careful what you wish for!
Like many BB fans, I wished and dreamed of the teased sequel.
Over 35 years later, Buckaroo Banzai creator E.M. Rauch released the long awaited continuation in novel form....
...and it was AWFUL.

I spent over a year trying to read it and finally had to give up.
It is the only book in my life I have never finished.

My watermelon dreams were smashed. 😢🤪😁

Though I suppose if people are interested in MORE Banzai, maybe I should share my Extended Workprint? :unsure: 🤷‍♂️ 😊

@TheFoo THANK YOU for taking the time to post a review. So happy you enjoyed it.

And the commercials were amazing too.

I think that might have been the part of the fan edit I enjoyed the most! Culling through hours of 80s era commercials and finding the ones that brought back the biggest nostalgia smiles for me. :)

Last edited:
A big THANK YOU to @Compital for taking the time to post a review.
It is very much appreciated.
😁

@ronnic THANK YOU for the review.

... it was a lot of fun - especially the lore and set up.

Much like the dense lore of the original movie, when I was crafting this edit I sort of lost my watermellons creating a complicated alternate head canon about the development of the tv series and its mysterious connection to a real world Banzai Institute.... why was the show REALLY cancelled? Where did all the episodes go? And what is Hanoi Xan's connection to the NBC network? The Banzai conspiracy continues.... bwah ha ha ha!

A very interesting Cold War analysis of my favourite flick....

😁

Back
Top Bottom