• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

BUCKAROO BANZAI: The VHS TV Edition

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have that DVD and the Extended Version option is very misleading in it's title. It is only the original Prologue restored as a branch option. The 14 deleted scenes are a separate feature and not part of the "extended version".

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have that DVD and the Extended Version option is very misleading in it's title. It is only the original Prologue restored as a branch option. The 14 deleted scenes are a separate feature and not part of the "extended version".
Well darn, I just assumed it was all added back in, maybe I should've actually watched it before acting like I knew what I was talking about :ROFLMAO:

gilhodges

Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU to @gilhodges for taking the time to post a review, and an entertaining one at that!
Was that Extra Buttery Jiffy Pop?

I loved your comment about going out to drive around L.A. to look for locations! One of the bonkers elements I love about this movie is it supposedly takes place on the East Coast in the state of New Jersey, and yet, zero effort is made by the production team to hide the fact that the entire movie is obviously filmed in Los Angeles, California. In many scenes you can see Palm trees in the background lol.

But this element lends it's self perfectly to believing this was a Network tv show of the 70s or 80s, where less care was often given to disguise/transform a location due to budget and time constraints. I recently re-watched the infamous MANIMAL, which is supposed to be in New York City, but except for the stock footage scene establishing shots, it is clearly hot sunny granite L.A. not cool skyscraper lined N.Y. šŸ˜‹
Well one thing I will say here in LA depending what part you are in "they" love to grow concrete as oppsed to trees

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Back in 2015, the UK's ARROW released a Region Locked Blu Ray loaded with bonus features that got rave reviews from fans. I still kick myself that I never picked this up, as it is now OOP and now sells at insanely high prices on EBay and Amazon.

One of the Bonus Features is the BB March with NO END TITLES! man oh man, that would have made my editing so much easier when I crafted the tv opening titles...lol.

Here is that ARROW bonus feature in all of its Textless glory....

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU @L8wrtr for your review.

And yes, you are right, the 80's is the GREATEST DECADE! EVER!!! :cool::giggle::love:(y)

So happy to hear it felt like an authentic VHS experience. Long before The Six Million Dollar Man was released on DVD, I was part of a club that shared Bionic episodes recorded on VHS, and we would send tapes to each other through the mail. You would get a tape, re-record it for yourself, and then pass it along. Sort of a bionic chain letter lol. But every time time VHS tape would arrive in mail box, it was like winning the lottery!

I toyed with the idea of doing a "Next Time" segment, but due to time restraints of the edit length, and not wanting to cut anymore material, I decided to forgo it.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU @L8wrtr for your review.

And yes, you are right, the 80's is the GREATEST DECADE! EVER!!! :cool::giggle::love:(y)

So happy to hear it felt like an authentic VHS experience. Long before The Six Million Dollar Man was released on DVD, I was part of a club that shared Bionic episodes recorded on VHS, and we would send tapes to each other through the mail. You would get a tape, re-record it for yourself, and then pass it along. Sort of a bionic chain letter lol. But every time time VHS tape would arrive in mail box, it was like winning the lottery!

I toyed with the idea of doing a "Next Time" segment, but due to time restraints of the edit length, and not wanting to cut anymore material, I decided to forgo it.

I can totally understand the time constraint, you'd have either needed to cut down commercials, or cut more from inside the material, given the options, I think it was the right call because those commercial breaks really solidify the experience (who'd have ever guessed we'd intentionally watch the commercials!?).

As another reviewer noted, not sure this is one I will watch on high rotation, but it's a damn fun way to kill an hour.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of the great things about Bionic Bob threads are the pieces of trivia and related material he shares. I had never made the Buckaroo/Doctor Who connection, but if one thinks about it for a second, it makes a LOT of sense!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agreed, but of the two, I really love that first one, some fantastic deep analysis of what's going on in the film, indeed, it really is all about the watermelon, and it's one of the things I always loved about it, all of that unexplained mythos. Big Trouble is also a bit in this vein, but not as full-on crazy. Great finds Bob!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, that first one is exceptional! It's a movie absolutely full of mythology references to a mythology that doesn't exist. Someone watching a random MCU movie with no prior knowledge of anything Marvel would feel exactly like watching Buckaroo Banzai.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I suspect the mythos existed.. just not published.. when you consider all the various stories the writer started, each one had to have contained elements that were cast aside from a narrative standpoint but helped build a mythology that he was constantly building. I have a very long... long gestating story I've been working on for literally over 20 years, I'm trapped the the world building and honestly may never finish any of the stories, but a more disciplined/talented writer can take that same thing and actually produce a story. I adore large worlds with tangentially glimpsed history.. I think it's why Dune is my favorite novel and series of all time, and why I ended up getting a history degree..

But I digress.. Bob, as always, your encyclopedic knowledge of all things pulp, comic, 70s and 80s never ceases to amaze me.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I suspect the mythos existed.. just not published..
This is very true, as Rauch wrote multiple unfinished screenplays featuring Buckaroo and his crew. I believe many of the references in the movie are from those other stories. I believe if you go the Banzai Institute website, they used to have a list of unfinished stories.

As for "official" further adventures of BB, there are two graphic novels published by MOONSTONE -- "Return of the Screw" and "No Matter Where You Go...", both written by Rauch.

And supposedly, we will be FINALLY getting our CRIME LEAGUE sequel in novel form this Autumn... though this release has been pushed back a few times already.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried reading Return of the Screw, but I really couldn't get into it. Have you read any of the comics, Bob?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of mythos....

Meanwhile in another dimension....

When we last left our intrepid show creators, the BANZAI FILES tv pilot movie "BUCKAROO WHO" was delivered to the Network months behind schedule and way over budget. Executives felt the tv movie was unwatchable but felt the need to save their investment, so they hired Glen A. Larson to take over the controlling reins of the series. Larson and his team heavily recut the pilot, and renamed the series BUCKAROO BANZAI: ANCIENT SECRETS & NEW MYSTERIES. The tv pilot was heavily promoted and premiere in March 1985, followed by 6 episodes.

SEASON ONE:

Ep 101 & 102 "BUCKAROO WHO?"
(written by Earl Mac Rauch, directed by WD Richter)
When the World Crime League hijacks the space shuttle Nixon and threatens to nuke Milwaukee, who will save the day? Enter Dr. Buckaroo Banzai and his team of eccentric experts, the Hong Kong Cavaliers!
(guest starring James Hong, John Saxon, John Fujioka and Lynda Day George)

Ep 103 "TWO WRONGS MAKE A REICH" (written by Glen A. Larson, directed by Winrich Kolbe)
Nazis from Hollow Earth have burrowed their way into Ottawa, Canada and are building a machine to change history. Meanwhile, Rawhide has to go to the dentist for a filling.
(guest starring Richard Lynch and Rich Little)

Ep 104 "VISITORS FROM BEYOND" (written and directed by Kenneth Johnson)
Flying saucers are landing all over the world with the aliens claiming they come in peace. But Buckaroo suspects something sinister is a foot.
(guest starring Jane Badler and Robert Englund)

Ep 105 "HOUR OF THE HOWL" (written by Earl Mac Rauch & Frank Lupo, directed by Christian I. Nyby II)
The Hong Kong Cavalier's band tour bus breaks down in small town with a big secret on the night of a full moon. Meanwhile, Mrs. Johnson has to return an over due book to the library.
(guest starring Ann Turkel and Lance LeGault)

Ep 106 "THE ATOMIC APES CAPER" (written by Glen A. Larson, directed by Virgil W. Vogel)
Mutated talking apes are being used to commit bizarre crimes around the world. Where did they come from and who is their master? Team Banzai is on the case!
(guest starring Roddy McDowall and Sharon Stone)

Ep 107 "ATLANTEAN WATERMELON" (written by Earl Mac Rauch & Donald P. Bellisario, directed by Richard Moder)
An ancient pyramid is found on the ocean floor in the Bermuda Triangle. Within it's walls lies a secret that could threaten the entire Universe.
(guest starring Tony Jay and Melody Anderson)

Ep 108 "THE BRIDE OF HANOI XAN" (written by Glen A. Larson and Kenneth Johnson, directed by Alan J. Levi)
Peggy is kidnapped by the World Crime League and Buckaroo must kill the President if he wants her back alive.
(guest starring James Hong and Cloris Leachman)

***Behind The Scenes: Ellen Barkin had a contract dispute with the producers during the first season and Larson, believing the series would not be renewed, had Barkin's character of Peggy killed in this episode. When the series was surprisingly renewed for a second season, Barkin was given a hefty pay raise to return.

As for season two, stay tuned....

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried reading Return of the Screw, but I really couldn't get into it. Have you read any of the comics, Bob?
Yes, I have both collections from Moonstone, along with the novelization by Rauch.
I liked the second collection, "No Matter Where You Go..." slightly more than "Return of the Screw", as it is an anthology of different moments in Buckaroo's life.
Though to be honest, I find Rauch's prose or graphic novel writing to be a mixed affair.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I have both collections from Moonstone, along with the novelization by Rauch.
I liked the second collection, "No Matter Where You Go..." slightly more than "Return of the Screw", as it is an anthology of different moments in Buckaroo's life.
Though to be honest, I find Rauch's prose or graphic novel writing to be a mixed affair.
Glad I'm not alone in not loving Return of the Screw. I'll definitely have to take a look at that second one, the description you say sounds perfect. I haven't read the novelization yet, I really need to get around to it. As far as I'm aware it's not common to have the screenwriter for a film do the novelization, so it's very intriguing.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU to @Racerx1969 for posting a review. Always appreciated! :giggle:

I am glad you enjoyed the commercials, as I really wanted them to be as entertaining as the main edit itself. I had a wonderful fun scouring over dozens and dozens and DOZENS of vintage commercials, trying to pick the right ones. I got really lucky, as I found an actual old tv show about the Best Commercials of 1986 and ended up using many of them for this project.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU to @Racerx1969 for posting a review. Always appreciated! :giggle:

I am glad you enjoyed the commercials, as I really wanted them to be as entertaining as the main edit itself. I had a wonderful fun scouring over dozens and dozens and DOZENS of vintage commercials, trying to pick the right ones. I got really lucky, as I found an actual old tv show about the Best Commercials of 1986 and ended up using many of them for this project.
Speaking of which, I get a kick out of the fact that, by virtue of the Michael J. Fox commercial, this movie now features both Doc AND Marty. :)

Of course, it is well known that the casting of Doc came from this movie and that the first choice for the role was John Lithgow, and since he was unavailable they went down the cast of Lectroids and hired Lloyd instead. I can't imagine anyone else than Lloyd as Doc, but Lithgow in the role is an interesting thought.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of which, I get a kick out of the fact that, by virtue of the Michael J. Fox commercial, this movie now features both Doc AND Marty. :)

Of course, it is well known that the casting of Doc came from this movie and that the first choice for the role was John Lithgow, and since he was unavailable they went down the cast of Lectroids and hired Lloyd instead. I can't imagine anyone else than Lloyd as Doc, but Lithgow in the role is an interesting thought.

Lithgow as Doc Brown... WOW! Y'know, I could totally see that! (y)

Maybe in another dimension.... ;)

Top Bottom