• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century as TV movies

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:

I think Clooney could be great as Huer. I find Huer most interesting in Flight of the War Witch where we see that, in his heyday, he was the remarkable person on the team. Exploring such a character opens far more story opportunities than the Einstein-caricature of Huer in the 1930s stories. By signing a major star as Huer, that would set the premise that this is not a Buck-solo-show (which Gil's version does suffer from to a degree). If we spend more time with Huer, that in turn creates the logical opportunity to spend more time for the viewer to see Buck from the future's perspective. Which opens the door to examine our present day values from a future perspective (which in Gil's show only really happened in Awakening, the rest of the time Buck's/the viewers' values are normal while future different values are strange/bad/silly).

I hope Clooney won't play Buck. I think Buck makes more sense aged as an active fighter pilot, not a Cary Grant silver-fox type.

Bottom line: it's terrific news that Buck Rogers gets star power linked to the new project! I'll pay to watch it regardless who plays Buck, but a lot of people may get persuaded by famous name(s) attached to the project.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
Bottom line: it's terrific news that Buck Rogers gets star power linked to the new project! I'll pay to watch it regardless who plays Buck, but a lot of people may get persuaded by famous name(s) attached to the project.

I believe he might be a producer but there's no reason he can't also star in it too. I definitely agree that leaning into.a more ensemble cast would benefit any future series.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am pretty sure I read  it is just Clooney's production company that is involved, with him only as a producer, not as an actor...?

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, but Clooney would be the death knell in a Buck Rogers reboot.

At best, he's a B-Movie actor with an A-List ego.

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm watching Galactica 1980 right now... and was struck with an idea for a Fanedit...

Dr. Zee : Replace with a computer. No voice change necessary. They obviously did a voiceover for the child Dr. Zee, and it sounds slightly electronic. (Backstory: the fleet is now led by a computer rather than the Council of the Twelve due to conflicts between the military and civilian leadership). Season 1 Battlestar has numerous large computer banks in the Galactica. Those could provide the close-up shots necessary.

Cut most of the "educational moments," which were inserted for the broadcast time. The 3-part opener can be edited into a single enjoyable movie. 

I have a soft spot for quite a few episodes of Galactica 1980, but would COMPLETELY ignore the "Super Scouts" episodes; they are insipid.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"keithbk", make Dr Zee into a voiceover as if BSG 1980 has a Computer Council like Buck Rogers? Hm, interesting thought. But you'd still be stuck with the cast being noticeably different from the original BSG season. The returning actors are made to look significantly older, so none of the 1980 episodes could play as an immediate continuation of the original season.

Except of course the standalone Starbuck episode, which has been hugely improved by @"dkerin".

To keep ideas for classic Battlestar all in one place, I recommend we continue this train-of-thought in @"bionicbob"'s thread on Battlestar Galactica Enhanced.

dkerin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That Dr. Zee/computer idea is interesting!    That could be cool.   G1980 was basically a "next gen" approach to the story.   I just wish in an edit there was a way to do a more solid story.   Superscouts should definitely never be seen.  :)   I did play with an edit before that mixed in footage from V and Independence Day, but to me feels too much like a mish-mash of stuff.   If only that Cylon attack on Earth was more than just a simulation.    Though if you stick with the first three eps, it ignores the scouts and you stay with the time travel, which wasn't the worst part of the show... but would still end unresolved.

Sorry... typing/thinking out loud at this point.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While Time of the Hawk waits on my desktop to be completed, I've played around a bit exploring possibilities for a Buck Rogers Rock'n Wide-screen Cinema Adventure with Extended Scenes and Music. Here are the songs so far that I've got scenes in mind for:

- The Maurice-Binder style opening gets James Bond's "You Only Live Twice". Yes that's very on the nose, but come on: the opening credits are obviously a Bond imitation. Since there's no way around that, I might as well lean into it. :cool:
- The blackjack scene from Vegas in Space gets added before the gala (heavily trimmed, focused on Buck thinking of Toby) with KC & The Sunshine Band's "Get Down Tonight".
- The flashback from Dream of Jennifer gets added after the final battle, before the epilogue, with Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonite".
- The closing credits plays Fleetwood Mac's "Never Going Back Again" followed by Buck's "Suspension" song (with vocals).

Top Bottom