• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century as TV movies

rabbitscooter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, definitely want to see this one. I saw Buck Rogers in the theatre first and that version is how I remember the series beginning. As a teenage boy, I loved the show *cough* Erin Gray *cough* but wish it was a little more serious. And season 2 was a disaster. Anyway, will report back on the fanedit after watching it. Do I need to PM you?

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the continuity insert of Jennifer's photo from a later episode. I realize the picture frame doesn't match, but the improved continuity is worth surrendering that detail. Plus I hope most viewers won't notice because they're looking at the photo / Wilma's face instead of the frame.

Pw: fanedit.org

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ann Lockhart!  Sheba from BSG!  Love her!

Good idea.   Since you are working from HD, is it possibel to zoom in and crop it more to make the framing less noticeable?

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cropping Sheba Jennifer's photo to hide the frame looked worse. That made the photo look really inserted from other footage. Also because the extreme close-up would've been inconsistent with the style of photography in the film.

Here's a representative change of the film's tone. After Ryma tells Buck she'll get in trouble if he is seen leaving without her, he no longer quips "I've got a reputation to uphold too, you know." Now he just seems considerate.

Pw: fanedit.org

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Buck Rogers' 2nd movie, Planet of the Slave Girls: Slavery & Sorcery, is completed. :)

Now moving ahead with the most James-Bond-in-space adventure of the series, The Plot to Kill a City. :cool:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Buck Rogers retrospective....

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who's had a chance to listen to the Commentary Track? I'm curious for your opinions!

I spend a fair time putting it together from Convention discussion panels with Gil, Erin,  and Felix. Do you find it worthwhile?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found it thoroughly enjoyable! Great hearing the cast. I was very impressed. It does take a little while to get to use to, since it is different from a normal commentary, as the commentary has little to do with what is happening onscreen. But I just let it play in the background while I worked at home.

Have you considered recording your own commentary on your next release?

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Work on the 3rd Buck edit is progressing. The complete set will have these 6 adventures:
  1. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: Extended Edition (a.k.a. Awakening: Extended Edition)
  2. Planet of the Slave Girls: Slavery and Sorcery
  3. The Plot to Kill a City: Spies in Space
  4. Flight of the War Witch: Buck Saves the Multiverse
  5. Time of the Hawk: You Are Not Alone
  6. Journey to Oasis: Ignorance Breeds Suspicion

Here are two alternate covers. They're tonally wrong for the upbeat, disco vibe of the TV series. But perhaps they're more what Gil Gerard had in mind, wanting to explore his Man-Out-Of-Time discomfort and the bleak reality of abandoned radiation victims in Anarchia.

Buck%20Rogers%20s1e01%20Awakening%20(alternate%20poster).jpg

Buck%20Rogers%20s1e04%20The%20Plot%20to%20Kill%20a%20City%20(alternate%20poster).jpg

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the Plot to Kill a City, Buck gets crucial help from Joella. I wish her role was written with a more equal camaraderie between Buck and Joella. Buddies with benefits, not infallible hero with helpless girl.

Here's one moment where I added some dialog between Buck and Joella. The original ends on Joella's line "Why do all the good-looking ones have to be crazy?". I extended that humorous one-liner into a setup for a humorous exchange. The added dialog is taken from the 1982 movie "Not Just Another Affair" where Gil Gerard and Markie Post play together.

What do you think? Is it better with or without? I (obviously) like the dialog but realize that eagle-eyes will pick up on the mouths being off a little and the tone of one of Buck's lines is a bit different (I tried everything I could think of in Audacity and cannot get the sound better than this). Pw: fanedit.org.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
In the Plot to Kill a City, Buck gets crucial help from Joella. I wish her role was written with a more equal camaraderie between Buck and Joella. Buddies with benefits, not infallible hero with helpless girl.

Here's one moment where I added some dialog between Buck and Joella. The original ends on Joella's line "Why do all the good-looking ones have to be crazy?". I extended that humorous one-liner into a setup for a humorous exchange. The added dialog is taken from the 1982 movie "Not Just Another Affair" where Gil Gerard and Markie Post play together.

What do you think? Is it better with or without? I (obviously) like the dialog but realize that eagle-eyes will pick up on the mouths being off a little and the tone of one of Buck's lines is a bit different (I tried everything I could think of in Audacity and cannot get the sound better than this). Pw: fanedit.org.

it's a bit jumpy in the new dialogue matching the mouth movements, and as stated by you, the audio from your source is a little fainter, but it fits together as well as you can manage. I give you points for the attempts alone, I'm sure it wouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment if you're upfront about the issues in the entry

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:

For me, it sort of breaks the moment for me.  I love the idea but it does not quite work.
What if you went the opposite way, and cut the scene before the Post's line?

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:

I actually like the original better. The new dialog simply doesn't fit properly or give proper context for Buck taking Joella to a city that's about to be "wiped off the map at any minute". That's a very ominous statement and predicament and calling someone a scoundrel immediately thereafter simply doesn't fit properly. For me, a scoundrel is someone who could get them in general trouble, not necessary life threatening or anything apocalyptic in nature. Had Buck said "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy", then I could see the term "scoundrel" being applicable. In this instance, I don't think it fits well within context and shouldn't be used, regardless of lip sync issues.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boo! Boo! You've convinced me to keep the original. I'll cut the "scoundrel" extension. :(

I really liked that exchange because it changed Joella talking to herself into having-a-laugh-together dialog between her and Buck. That way she's less someone who happens to tag along, and more buddies with Buck and they're doing this together and laughing together in the face of danger.

To take a phrase from writing: I'll kill this darling. :-/

heathen3017

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
Boo! Boo! You've convinced me to keep the original. I'll cut the "scoundrel" extension. :(

I really liked that exchange because it changed Joella talking to herself into having-a-laugh-together dialog between her and Buck. That way she's less someone who happens to tag along, and more buddies with Buck and they're doing this together and laughing together in the face of danger.

To take a phrase from writing: I'll kill this darling. :-/

Awwww... I didn't mean to be THAT big a wet blanket...LOL I definitely see where you were coming from in thinking it might be good to include it. Choice can't be a bad thing, right? :)  Regardless, I do appreciate your efforts with this. Thank you.

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a note, I reviewed the second movie... can't wait for the next one!

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
keithbk said:
Just a note, I reviewed the second movie... can't wait for the next one!

As you wish. :D

The third movie is done.

The fourth movie will be Flight of the War Witch.

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just curious...

Can Vegas in Space and Cruise Ship to the Stars be merged into one movie, as if they are both taking place on the same ship?

Just a thought...

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"keithbk" , I looked at merging episodes to turn more of Buck's adventures into movie-length stories. I marked which episodes have what costumes, topics, tone, and references to events or people from earlier episodes. My conclusion is that merging would make the stories different but not better.

The only episodes that I can figure out to fully merge and make it feel like a coherent and deliberate story (!), are Golden Man, Satyr, and Saurian in Season 2. But I don't love those enough to make that effort.

I am trying a partial merge for Time of the Hawk, but I'm not satisfied yet. So more on that another day.

What does work is to insert specific bits from one episode into another. E.g. the flashback from Guardians into Awakening, Buck's dream of Jennifer into Slave Girls.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Buck's 3rd adventure (in this series of 6) is now listed. Doesn't this cover just say "pick me up and watch me"? :D

buckrodgers_plot_3dview.jpg

Progress on adventures 4 and 6 is going well. I still have a lot of work to do on the 5th adventure, Time of the Hawk. Timeline looks good to maintain one release / month. :heart:

Top Bottom