• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Bosch

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone watching? It's been pretty great so far, I only have 3 episodes left. They've really merged the two novels used for the season's arch seamlessly. The cast is top notch too.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I was having a grumpy old man tantrum last week, venting to a friend how there are no good cop/detective/crime fighter shows anymore.... lol

Network television is saturated with worn out procedural franchises (NCIS, L&O, CrimMinds, etc), pale empty reboots (Hawaii 5-O, MacGyver, etc) and eccentric/genius cop partners (Instinct, Castle, Elementary, etc, etc, etc).  It all plays out very generic, formula and safe.

Where are the great shows I grew up with like the original H5O, or Homicide Life on the Street, or Hunter or Starsky and Hutch, or Equalizer or Mod Squad or Crime Story or Magnum PI or Spenser for Hire or The Wire or Luther.... shows that knew how to balance great character with drama and action?  (note:  Tom Selleck's JESSE STONE is excellent, but those are tv movies not series)

Shows where the crime is solved by hard investigative foot work and not by a magic computer or forensic sleuth?

Then I stumbled on to BOSCH!
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-HUa10kVpQ[/video]

FANTASTIC SERIES!!!!!!

Based on the Michael Connelly novels (which I have never read) it is classic L.A. crime noir that perfectly balances gritty drama with solid complex characters and action and behind the scenes politics.   Easily the best cop show I have seen in YEARS.  Binged the first season of 10 episodes in two days.

Highly recommended.  10 out of 10.

Now to binge season two!!!!!

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yea man, good stuff. Season 4 drops next week.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ive been meaning to check that out on Amazon prime, another great one is Justified, had some fantastic seasons and a superb overall story arch.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bosch is without reservation top notch. I have read the novels and Titus Welliver is excellently cast as Harry Bosch.

No good crime thrillers? You didn't like The Closer, Major Crimes, or my favorite of all time...Cold Case? Something slightly edgy and unnerving about that one with the flashbacks set to the period music. I can freely admit that it is the only Crime Drama that I can watch and rewatch over and over again.

What about The Pretender? Its cool in a campy way. Or Person of Interest, The Blacklist or The Americans? They all rock in their own way. FBI and SWAT (reboot) are kind of cool.

My favorite shows right now are in order:

Shameless: William H. Macy. Need I say more?

The Good Doctor: Norman Bates as a Savant surgeon. Good stuff.

The Big Bang Theory: Yeah...still. It just never gets old. I can't get enough of Amy Farrah Fowler.

Midnight, Texas: I just know that I will fit in somewhere. I just know it.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Them Duke boys never get old unless they are not the Duke boys. Season 5...aarghh. Should have raised there contract to begin with to avoid that mess.

:D
I suspect that most of this thread belongs somewhere else. I will leave it to a bigwig to decide.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished up watching Season Five, still very enjoyable... still very character driven.  With L.A. itself, and it's politics, always taking centre stage.

My only criticism is at times it feels like too many plot threads are going on once, some often with no pay off until the next season and completely unconnected to each other..  And even then, you ask yourself what was the point?  The whole serial killer who then dies in a bicycle accident, instantly comes to mind.  And it also makes the pacing feel uneven at times.  This show loves the Slow Burn.

But still amazing modern crime noir, and one of my favourite cops shows of all time.

I really need to read the books.   :D

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vz_-3QqNP8[/video]

Top Bottom