• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Boon's guide to fanediting with Sony Vegas

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Oh, well in that case he will definitely not be finishing any fanedits. ;)
That much is certain. He's pretty much a slacker at this point.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
That much is certain. He's pretty much a slacker at this point.

He's probably even forgotten how to fanedit :p

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who has forgotten?
;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maybe some day I will continue the guide. But not right now. As for virtualdub/lagarith/vegas issues: I don't have those and never changed the settings. I explained in detail how I prepare the video and audio for editing and this is still how I do it. If you have the same software, you should not run into any kind of problem. But if you do things differently, it's not the fault of the guide.

S

steFANedit

boon23 said:
If you have the same software, you should not run into any kind of problem. But if you do things differently, it's not the fault of the guide.

I don't know if you are referring to my posts or not but I just want to make it clear that the problems that I have are strictly personal :???: and I'm not putting any blame on your guide whatsoever. Quite the contrary, I praise it!

Nightshiver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm having weird issues with HeadAC3he. I've got my 5.1 ac3 file, put it in the program, follow the guide, but the resulting wav file is fucked up. The speech, which is supposed to come out of the center channel, now comes out of the Front Right. And, the wav file cuts off the audio. By this I mean my original ac3 file is 2 hours and 37 minutes long, and the wav file is only 2 hours and 4 minutes long. Anyone have any idea what's going wrong?

When following the guide, I mean I try to create a 5.1 wave file, not a stereo file, as I wish to edit in surround sound.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you may have an issue with copy protection. how did you rip the disc?

Nightshiver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not something as noobish as copy protection. I found out the problem. It seems wave files are restricted to being only a certain size, and when mine hit that size, they cut the audio short. As to why the speech goes to the front right, I've got no idea.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nightshiver said:
It's not something as noobish as copy protection.

This is not noobish at all. Copy protection is something that can annoy everyone, no matter how many discs they have ripped or how many edits they produced. Sometimes its not evident right away that the rip still has copy protection issues..

Anyway, I've heard others mention file size before, but I've never encountered this issue. How long is the film that you are trying to separate the channels for? You might try BeSweet instead of HeadAC3he. I believe boon23 did finally switch over to this...

Nightshiver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used Belight as well as BeSweet. There is a file size limit to wave file's, as the same thing happened to all programs. I simply solved it by cutting the audio in half and just creating 2 files.

The other odd problem (no, not the speech from the front right) is that when I import into Vegas Pro, everything sounds fine. I set the project to 5.1 correctly, but when I render out the audio, it produces speech from EVERY single speaker, instead of being from the center only, like it should. It plays correctly outside of vegas, but that's it.

And the length of the movie is 2 hours and 37 minutes. That's why it was cutting the audio off, because the audio is to long to compress all into the space of 5 GB.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am using belight to create the 6 wav files (and even do the 25 to 23.976fps thing).
If I want to work with 2.0 I am still using headac3he.
problem sounds like either copy protection or winXP problem of not allowing very large audio files.
Your speaker problem comes from not properly setting up vegas. You have to manually select each channel (blue is on / black is off).

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nightshiver said:
I used Belight as well as BeSweet. There is a file size limit to wave file's, as the same thing happened to all programs. I simply solved it by cutting the audio in half and just creating 2 files.

The other odd problem (no, not the speech from the front right) is that when I import into Vegas Pro, everything sounds fine. I set the project to 5.1 correctly, but when I render out the audio, it produces speech from EVERY single speaker, instead of being from the center only, like it should. It plays correctly outside of vegas, but that's it.

And the length of the movie is 2 hours and 37 minutes. That's why it was cutting the audio off, because the audio is to long to compress all into the space of 5 GB.

each channel is over 5GB???? why? should be around 1GB per channel there. I use BeSweet on WinXP and have not encountered the problems you speak of. As for Vegas, boon is right, sounds like you have your speakers set up wrong in Vegas.

Nightshiver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not freaking 5 GB per channel. 5 GB TOTAL. Creating a 5.1 channel SINGLE WAVE FILE. That's what I like to do. Creating 6 mono wave files is a pain in the ass and annoying. In this case, for my 2012 edit, I did create 6 separate mono wave files.

I am not using XP. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. I'll check the vegas speaker setup just to see if it works, although I had fiddled with it briefly before.

EDIT: Well, after making all the correct speaker setups, it still doesn't play right inside Vegas. Now, the voices only come from the Front Left, even though I have the front left muted. The Center channel is the only one open, and yet voices go to the front left. When I mute the Center, all the talking stops, so I know it's the correct channel. I even tried panning it to the right and the center, but it didn't fix it.

DOUBLE EDIT: It works. Even if it sounded weird in Vegas, when I rendered the AC3, the voices are in the correct place. Thanks boon.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nightshiver said:
Not freaking 5 GB per channel. 5 GB TOTAL. Creating a 5.1 channel SINGLE WAVE FILE. That's what I like to do. Creating 6 mono wave files is a pain in the ass and annoying. In this case, for my 2012 edit, I did create 6 separate mono wave files.

First of all, there is no need to get hostile. I don't appreciate it. Secondly, I don't see the utility in creating a single wav file. Creating 6 mono wavs is not really a pain at all, and it allows you a lot more editing freedom in Vegas (or any other advanced editing software for that matter).

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sometimes it's not worth helping people, no?

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. I'm guessing that software does play an important factor - I recently had to convert a dts file to a 6-channel wav file (in order to then convert that into 6 separate mono wavs for one of my WIP Edits), which was 8.5GB in size and the wav wasn't capped at any 5GB limit.

2. I seriously don't get how converting and using 6 individual mono wavs could be "a pain in the ass and annoying", but to each his own, I guess.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there is also the 32 bit issue that could be responsible for capping. My 64bit win7 does not cap audio.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
First of all, there is no need to get hostile. I don't appreciate it. Secondly, I don't see the utility in creating a single wav file. Creating 6 mono wavs is not really a pain at all, and it allows you a lot more editing freedom in Vegas (or any other advanced editing software for that matter).

Why do you need to make the wav files though? Vegas will separate a 5.1 audio track into separate tracks on it's own.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
Why do you need to make the wav files though? Vegas will separate a 5.1 audio track into separate tracks on it's own.
does it separate them into 6 unique tracks? IIRC, it separated them differently than just adding 6 mono tracks. Its been a while since I did it though, so I could be wrong.

Regardless, I don't see how creating 6 mono tracks is a pain. It takes an extra few clicks and half a second of thought...

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It generally puts it in 4 tracks, with the front and surround being comprised of a left and right side. If you want you can just add 2 additional tracks with and put the left and right on separate tracks.

Top Bottom