• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Boon's guide to fanediting with Sony Vegas

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What settings are you using when you render?

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
normally id use mpeg2
but what do you recommend.
cause thats not working.

problem solved.
i just read in the article, changed my bitrate to constant bitrate instead of vbr.
and lowered the bitrate a little and problem solved.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged.

We need more information. Tell us your settings and exactly what process you are following. Screenshots would also be helpful.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Threads merged.

Nuts. My response was lost.

Original response:

If you copied the movie correctly, it should be 2.35:1. When you render in Vegas MPEG-2 is good. You can choose custom settings. Make sure the frame size is 720x480 (for a DVD). And DO NOT click the box "Stretch video to fill output frame size". That box is on the first pop-up screen where you save your file.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
once again, problem already solved. thanks though
its been converted a few times and mightve got the AR changed in the process.
but its now completely done and with the original aspect of the movie.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just want to ask, I'm trying to render my cut of Rocky, but everytime I do it, it comes out between 7 - 7.8GB in size. The films are in 2.0 audio (at least I think they are), but it's just too big a file. The original rips themselves are about 1 1/2GB in size each. Idealy, I want to output in MPEG2 or .avi, but each time it's coming out the same size. Any recommendations on settings (I don't really change them as I'm not sure what I'm doing when rendering with Vegas).

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
The original rips themselves are about 1 1/2GB in size each.

1st off, this means two things:

1) You are doing what is referred to as a transcode in the audio world. In other words your source material is an already highly compressed highly lossy rip. Now you have re-rendered and re-compressed at least one or two more times in the process of editing. All of this adds up to mean that your audio and video quality will probably be poor quality.

2) It also means that you are breaking the rules of this site by not owning the source material, because a DVD rip should be ~4GB in size minimum unless you yourself converted this to a highly compressed and lossy format for editing, which would be unfortunate and highly inadvisable.

That said, since you say "the original rips" plural, I am assuming you are combining multiple rocky movies. Depending on your run-time, 7.5 GB for a 3 hour MPEG2 track at a medium quality bitrate sounds reasonable. The good news is it will still fit on a DL DVD.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I own the source material, don't worry about that. It's my bad, I worded it wrong. I'd just finished work when I wrote that, and I nearly smashed my face on the keyboard falling asleep :lol:. Anyway, I rip my files straight off the disc using PGCDemux, then encoding it via VirtualDubMod, and it gives a nice, crisp picture, while outputting a file of roughly 1.5GB. The files I've got from the Rocky and Rocky II discs are quite good.

So, 7.5GB sounds about right, then for a 2hr 40min video? Good, I thought I was doing something wrong. Cheers.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since when is pgcdemux a ripper?

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It reads the film information from the corresponding .ifo file on the disc, then extracts the film from the .ifo you want. I discovered it by accident when ripping Full Metal Jacket.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Oh, I own the source material, don't worry about that. It's my bad, I worded it wrong. I'd just finished work when I wrote that, and I nearly smashed my face on the keyboard falling asleep :lol:. Anyway, I rip my files straight off the disc using PGCDemux, then encoding it via VirtualDubMod, and it gives a nice, crisp picture, while outputting a file of roughly 1.5GB. The files I've got from the Rocky and Rocky II discs are quite good.

So, 7.5GB sounds about right, then for a 2hr 40min video? Good, I thought I was doing something wrong. Cheers.

If virtualdubmod is outputting a file size of 1.5GB for a Rocky movie, something is not right, me thinks... But I could be wrong. Whatever. If you think the picture looks good and you aren't having any editing problems, carry on my friend.
tv's frink said:
since when is pgcdemux a ripper?

"Demux" "rip" whatever. People seem to use them inter-changeably. Though you make a good point that it is probably more proper to use "rip" in reference to doing a re-encode to a new format.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me, a ripper removes the copyright protection and copies the files to your pc, while a demuxer separates audio and video.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol. Yeah I've heard it used in that connotation too. Actually that probably is the best use for that term since I can't think of a good substitute word!

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Just want to ask, I'm trying to render my cut of Rocky, but everytime I do it, it comes out between 7 - 7.8GB in size. The films are in 2.0 audio (at least I think they are), but it's just too big a file. The original rips themselves are about 1 1/2GB in size each. Idealy, I want to output in MPEG2 or .avi, but each time it's coming out the same size. Any recommendations on settings (I don't really change them as I'm not sure what I'm doing when rendering with Vegas).

You should know if the audio is 2.0. Just FYI, it usually says on the back of the DVD case near the bottom, or you can use a free app "MediaInfo" which will analyze the movie and tell you.

Anyway, I rip my files straight off the disc using PGCDemux, then encoding it via VirtualDubMod, and it gives a nice, crisp picture, while outputting a file of roughly 1.5GB. The files I've got from the Rocky and Rocky II discs are quite good.

Not sure why you'd want to do this, by encoding using VirtualDubMod your causing an unnecessary drop in picture quality.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Not sure why you'd want to do this, by encoding using VirtualDubMod your causing an unnecessary drop in picture quality.

I use this because by using PGCDemux, I'm left with an audio file and an audio file. I tried just bunging them into Vegas just they are, but Vegas doesn't like them at all.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
I use this because by using PGCDemux, I'm left with an audio file and an audio file. I tried just bunging them into Vegas just they are, but Vegas doesn't like them at all.

Do you mean an audio file and a video file?

I've never used Vegas but I'm pretty sure Vegas needs lagarith avi.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not a good sign when you don't know how many channels there are in your audio. If your edit is almost done and you think it looks and sounds good, then just roll with it I guess, but I strongly advise to research a better workflow for future edits.

I'm haven't looked very carefully to see exactly what this Boon's guide says, but keep in mind that it was written back in 2009 and may be a bit outdated. Is this what you have been following for your workflow?

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Not a good sign when you don't know how many channels there are in your audio. If your edit is almost done and you think it looks and sounds good, then just roll with it I guess, but I strongly advise to research a better workflow for future edits.

I'm haven't looked very carefully to see exactly what this Boon's guide says, but keep in mind that it was written back in 2009 and may be a bit outdated. Is this what you have been following for your workflow?

I've just been using it when I've been stuck, that could be where I've been going wrong. It does sound alright, and looks good, but I don't want to look towards releasing it if it's going to look shoddy to everyone else. I'd rather deliver something of good quality, than something cheap. I might scrap it for now, and come back to it later.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having some problems with this and was hoping for some help.

I ripped my movie (NTSC) as usual with DVDFab, and then followed the guide with PgcDemux with no problems. Now I put the video into Virtual Dub 1.9 and select compression>Lagarith Lossless Codec. Next I select save as AVI and it exports seemingly with no problems. However, when the video is finished its no longer fully 16:9 but not really 4:3 either and is squished a bit. Is there something I'm doing wrong that I'm not aware of? I've used a similar method before with no problem, but this is my first time following the method as Boon has done it.

Top Bottom