• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Boon's guide to fanediting with Sony Vegas

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I would suggest changing the framerate in virtualdub (which will change the playback duration). Then convert the audio in BeSweet. If it is 5.1, you can just add the speed change during the conversion from 5.1 ac3 to 6 mono wavs. There is a box on the GUI that you can check to add this conversion. It will stretch it slightly and put it back at the original intended NTSC playback speed.

Yes, 5.1 and as I'm planning on using other music for most of this edit, isolating the audio is crucial. Will the video be progressive or interlaced after conversion, i.e. should I deinterlace after the framerate conversion?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
Yes, 5.1 and as I'm planning on using other music for most of this edit, isolating the audio is crucial. Will the video be progressive or interlaced after conversion, i.e. should I deinterlace after the framerate conversion?

whatever the input is. Shouldnt need to deinterlace unless you notice interlacing issues.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
American TV show, European DVD release.

If you were talking about a PAL movie DVD, I would have few concerns about simply slowing it back down, but TV material can be problematic. Feel free to send me a sample via PM. (I would have no interest in anything other than looking at the video, so do not worry about secrecy.) Up to you! :)

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
If you were talking about a PAL movie DVD, I would have few concerns about simply slowing it back down, but TV material can be problematic. Feel free to send me a sample via PM. (I would have no interest in anything other than looking at the video, so do not worry about secrecy.) Up to you! :)

Thanks, I'll get on that next week when I have more actual "me-time". :) I might even let you in on my edit plan.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Question:

I've ripped my DVD's, saved the parts I'm gonna use (I basically exported only the parts I'll be using as I just don't have the required space free otherwise) as Lagarith compressed avi files using VirtualDub, muxed with the original ac3 sound, but when I import the media files in Vegas 11 Pro, I only seem to have video? Does Vegas really not support ac3, but only PCM? :-o

Oh, and I have decided to do the edit in PAL (for now), as this is my first attempt at a FanEdit and I might not even make it to the finish line. :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always split out the ac3 into wav files and then import them separately into Vegas.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BeSweet.

You could also try hypercube, the interface is easier to work with IMO but I've had trouble with the program working.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gah. I can't get plugins to work in VirtualDub. I'm probably just doing something really dumb. I extract the contents of the .zip file to the plugins folder in the VirtualDub folder of program files. But when I try to open a video file in VirtualDub, I just get the same "VirtualDub cannot decode MPEG-2 video streams" message over and over. :|

EDIT: somehow it started working on like literally the tenth try... :?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like you need a mpg2 plugin or need to make a .d2v script with DGindex...

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Sounds like you need a mpg2 plugin or need to make a .d2v script with DGindex...

I've got a plugin, just having trouble making it install... but for some reason it suddenly started working.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been doing some test renders of my WIP material in Vegas, but for some reason, in parts, the video isn't rendered, only audio. As my computer isn't what you'd call beefy, could this due to too little free memory or something? It's never the same parts gone missing but always at the start of the "incoming" video, not the end just before I cut.

Also, any tips on a good, quick render setting for checking "dailys"?

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
I've been doing some test renders of my WIP material in Vegas, but for some reason, in parts, the video isn't rendered, only audio. As my computer isn't what you'd call beefy, could this due to too little free memory or something? It's never the same parts gone missing but always at the start of the "incoming" video, not the end just before I cut.

What are you rendering it in now?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
When I render to upload a clip, I always do the audio (ac3) and video (sony avc mp4) separate and then join them with mkvmerge.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
QuickCut said:
What are you rendering it in now?

Vegas 11. Using Apple TV compatible 720p 24p but changing the fps to 25 as I have a PAL source. This is the output I'm going with for my final render I think, then rendering the 5.1 audio separetely for a muxed mkv as the final product.

It took about five hours for a 20 minute test run though, so I'd like to find something a bit quicker for a workprint.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try DVD Architect Video Stream (make sure to include the audio stream for it). I adjusted the settings to what you're talking about here, you'll get a good/great quality .mpg that won't take too long to render:

vegass.png

Turn down the bit rate/video quality if you just want a smaller workprint quality file.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's great, thanks! That's 1.5 hours at best constant quality instead of 6-7 hours. :)

Another question; When you get lip sync issues because the imported video and audio has them, can this be fixed in Vegas by dragging the audio slightly or do I have to fix it outside of Vegas then re-import them? My question is, does Vegas have the needed resolution for such tiny adjustments?

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i want to render my project with the aspect ratio of 2.35:1- the movie's
original aspect ratio.
each time i try to render it has an error and wont continue.

that solved my problem...cool

Top Bottom