• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Boon's guide to fanediting with Sony Vegas

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hmmm, my thoughts:

2) should not be degraded. you are going from lossless to lossless. something is off
3) should be much much smaller. you also need to convert to the correct dimensions. I think you just need to change the dimensions to 720x480, and make sure you set the AR to 1.2121 in Vegas
4) the above should take care of any problems with the AR. If the greens clip is online somewhere, I can take a look at it this weekend, if you cant get it sorted out. PM me

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you survive with the lost hard drive space and just import the source clip he sent you into Vegas? It might be easier to make it look seamless with your other stuff there than in Virtualdub and doing transcodes, especially if that process is causing any new problems...

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm getting low on drive space.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i followed the instructions, but after i chose compression, went to add my audio and it says file type not reconized
im using latest version of Vdub and windows 7

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you dont need to add the audio to vdub, you can export video only AVI, and then add audio to vegas. Either way you should convert to wav. If it is surround, use besweet to split into 6 mono wavs

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok thanks, im finally hardware wise able to branch into the world of faneditng

bondukkevin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi

Wonder if someone can help me, hope am posting in right place!

In Sony Vegas Pro 11 I render something as a .wmv as that is the only one I can see with audio output as 5.1 (i.e. comes thorugh my read speakers). This works fine but the aspect ratio is very small. However if I export as an .avi which is (AV something I think) it comes with reat aspect ratio but the audio is 2 channel. I have tried to customise the avi template but cannot. So I either have .wmv with 5.1 but small aspect ratio or .avi with great 2:35:1 aspect ratio but only in stereo, i.e. 2 front speakers.

Anybody any ideas on how to get good 2:35:1 aspect ratio and 5.1? thanks Do not mind if not in HD.

sorry for not listing all tech about it not at home at minute to look in Vegas.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have all sorts of problems with rendered audio/video in Vegas 9 Studio. The best workaround I've found is to render out the video with no audio and render the audio separately as a 5.1 ac3 file, then mux the two files together outside of Vegas.

bondukkevin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I have all sorts of problems with rendered audio/video in Vegas 9 Studio. The best workaround I've found is to render out the video with no audio and render the audio separately as a 5.1 ac3 file, then mux the two files together outside of Vegas. "

Ok thanks for the advice, what program did you use once your have the video and audio track as if just use DVD builder software or something not sure it lets you match the audio to the video. thanks

Menbailee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use the same method in Sony Vegas 11: render audio and video separately, then mux. There are several ways to do this. Sony DVD Architect can put the streams together as it builds the DVD, though sometimes this program seems to want to do extra encoding when it really shouldn't. Virtualdub could possibly get this job done if you want to keep your files in Avi format, though I have trouble exporting in 5.1 from there, also. Since I am aiming to create DVD files, I have started using the ultra-simple tsMuxer, which does exactly what it claims to do and not much else.

bondukkevin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks all for the advice, will give rendering a go maybe avi for video and then ac3 for the audio in 5.1 and see how goes. thanks

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which program I use depends on what I am trying to accomplish. When I am just uploading a clip to youtube, I render the video as an mp4 and then use mkvmerge to mux it with the ac3. When I'm rendering for DVD quality, I render out as lagarith avi, use HCenc to get a DVD compliant m2v, then use imagoMpegMuxer to combine the m2v and the ac3 into a mpg.

Keep in mind my options are somewhat limited by the fact that I am using Vegas Studio (and Architect Studio) rather than Pro. Also, as long as you use the same loop region in Vegas to render both the video and audio, you shouldn't have a problem with sync (assuming your audio and video are in sync in Vegas, of course).

bondukkevin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks again Tv's Frink, great help. did this last night with the avi video (no sound) and then the .ac3 audio 5.1

Came out billiantly in 5.1 when rendered.

bondukkevin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi

When I render as an mpeg2 or avi and import into dvd architect it is over 7gb, anyone able to help me with any compression settings? Don't want to lose any sound settings or picture quality though?

thanks

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Although it is not strictly speaking the most advisable route, DVD Architect can recompress to fit to SL DVD, which is what I am assuming you are trying to accomplish. Depending on the length of your edit, you could always do DL DVD and then 7 gb not such a big deal.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I'm about to start my first FE and my source is PAL DVD's, but the plan is to release the completed edit as a 23.976 .mkv (sorry, no dvd release at this time). Can I convert from PAL to 24p in Virtualdub or is there a way of doing that in Vegas?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
So, I'm about to start my first FE and my source is PAL DVD's, but the plan is to release the completed edit as a 23.976 .mkv (sorry, no dvd release at this time). Can I convert from PAL to 24p in Virtualdub or is there a way of doing that in Vegas?

what film? If the film was not shot in PAL format, which is highly likely, you can change the framerate to 23.976 in Virtualdub and save as AVI for editing. You will need to adjust the speed of your audio to match though. There are settings for this in BeSweet to slow down audio from 25fps to 23.976.

If the film WAS shot in PAL format (less likely) you can do a pulldown and save as AVI. no adjustments to audio will be needed.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
what film? If the film was not shot in PAL format, which is highly likely, you can change the framerate to 23.976 in Virtualdub and save as AVI for editing. You will need to adjust the speed of your audio to match though. There are settings for this in BeSweet to slow down audio from 25fps to 23.976.

If the film WAS shot in PAL format (less likely) you can do a pulldown and save as AVI. no adjustments to audio will be needed.

American TV show, European DVD release. I can hear it's sped up to PAL. Sorry for my secretive answer, gonna start editing to see if what I intend to do is possible before I post anything major.

I like to plan as much as possible instead of wasting time, I hope I haven't wasted yours. :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no worries about being a sneaksy little editor :)

I figured that was the case for your release. I would suggest changing the framerate in virtualdub (which will change the playback duration). Then convert the audio in BeSweet. If it is 5.1, you can just add the speed change during the conversion from 5.1 ac3 to 6 mono wavs. There is a box on the GUI that you can check to add this conversion. It will stretch it slightly and put it back at the original intended NTSC playback speed.

Top Bottom