• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[youtubewide:3ez9lj24]

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never saw the original, though one of my friends is a big fan and already said he's dragging the group to see this. Maybe I'll give the original a viewing before hand. I enjoy a good guilty pleasure movie from time to time. I really enjoyed the doc about Troy Duffy and the making of the original, so I guess its about time I finally see it.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
its totally worth it, i watched it again last night and it is absolutely fantastic.

my new message alert is 'In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.' :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a fan of the original but this sequel just feels off to me.
I know its got the same cast and director and will probably be decent, its just that there doesnt need to be a sequel IMO and I smell an easy rehash-cash in.
I hope I am wrong.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i know what you mean, my only hope is it isnt just a rehash of the first one, that would be tragic.

Considering the grief Duffy went through on the first production, yes i know it was mostly self inflicted, i doubt anyone would let him have another go unless he either had done some serious work on himself or done some serious work on the script, or my preferred outcome he did serious work on both.

Still, Duffy is taking a big risk as if this movie is terrible he will never ever be allowed back to hollywood again, so im sure he thinks hes got a winning script. also the movie was actually completed in 2005 but has been in distrobution hell for the last four years. he also hinted that there would be a third if the sequel does well so at least he has an idea where the overall story is going.

im just praying that he has one more ace up his sleeve and delivers a worthy sequel.

btw if you havent seen it already watch Overnight its the documentary about the making of Boondock Saints and essentially Troy Duffy's slide into disappearing up his own arse.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never saw that doc, but thanks to the miracle of netflix, I will soon.
thanks nOm :)

Jono11

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always thought Boondock Saints could benefit from a fanedit. It's a cool movie, but it takes itself way too seriously, especially toward the end. Way too much pseudo-theology and false pathos and cheap elevation of its subject matter to a level of importance it shouldn't really command. It's an action-comedy for most of the film, and then at the end it starts taking itself so seriously that all the fun disappears.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
for once i wouldnt change a thing, i think its absolutely perfect the way it is.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does the title remind anyone else of "Good Will Hunting 2: It's Hunting Season"? :p

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Does the title remind anyone else of "Good Will Hunting 2: It's Hunting Season"? :p

I actually was just watching J&SBSB the other day and I thought about it, but I really don't see the connection. GWH2: HS was a spoof movie within a movie while TBS2: ASD is a sequel to a movie that doesn't change tone or characters.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was only talking about the titles, which, apart from sounding somewhat similar in invoking time, both use a word twice. Apart from the first Pirates and Crystal Skull (which both have two "the"s), I can't think, offhand, of any other such overlap.

... Boondock Saints II doesn't feature dead hookers in Ben Affleck's trailer?! :)

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
never heard anything about that movie before. saw it yesterday. it´s friggin´ awesome. wish i´d seen it when i was seventeen. it´s not a "good" movie but hell... it´s fucking brilliant. i think i will watch it again tonight!

8)

thanks nom!

...and the skids´ ´the saints are coming´ in the trailer for part two? fucking brilliant!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok watched a slightly dodgy copy of this last night and i gotta say im not that impressed :( although i really need to watch it again before i completely make my mind up.

Spoilers (but not massive ones)

[spoiler:1x6vf5j7]the bad

dialogue is rather hammy in places (you can almost tell Duffy wanted every character to always have a pithy comeback/say something outrageous line. most of the time it works ok but the dialogue right at the start of the movie between the three cops is simply excruciating.

Eunice Bloom's accent. doesn't bother me that much but i can see why a lot of other people hated it though.

always looking painfully cool. too much too much. do both brothers have to have unlit cigarettes in their mouth's each and every time they kill some people.

there are a couple of oddly homoerotic scenes between the two brothers (which is wierd)

Romeo (Rocko's replacement) cant say i liked him half as much as Rocko. still has a couple of funny lines.

on to the good

i did enjoy it and there's a great twist at the end (for the love of god don't look it up before you watch the movie, it'll totally spoil it)

there was one '1 liner' that had me laughing for a good five minutes ( i kid you not, if you dont find it hilarious you need fixing cos yer broken)

very cool, very stylish (almost too much if anything)

overall it was a LOT better than i was expecting it to be but like it still didnt feel quite right. im hoping the directors cut will round the movie out more as apparently Troy had over four hours of usable footage by the end of shooting and has promised a much expanded DC.

the soundtrack was pretty good also[/spoiler:1x6vf5j7]

if you're a fan then you know you're going to watch this however bad it may be, if you only 'enjoyed' the first one, much as i hate to say it, you're probably better off not bothering.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I turned it off after 20 minutes. this is a disgrace to the original.
maybe i'll finish it someday but in all honesty....fuck. its like a 4th grader wrote it. Frankly I am amazed this is the same director/cast.
(from what I saw) 0.5/10 :p

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just stay with it til they meet up with the old bartender with tourettes, that scene alone was worth putting up with the rest of the movie.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
that was a very funny scene and the movie has its moments but in the end it wasn´t good. it felt like it was just going through the motions without ever doing something as good as the first one did. i liked the soundtrack more than that of the first one but julie was not willem and the new guy wasn´t rocko and the story felt forced and in the end the first movie said all what needed to be said.

please, please do not make a third movie...

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep that about sums it up, 'going through the motions' crossed my mind a couple of time when watching as well.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
me and my girlfriend (both big fans of the original) just shook our heads for 20 minutes while watching and at one point she said "can you pause it" to get a drink - to which I replied, "no, but I can turn it off". she said, "yeah, this sucks". I concurred. we complained about it for a while and watched A Serious Man instead.

bear in mind we NEVER turn movies off - it was THAT bad, granted I didnt see the whole thing, but I really couldnt care less because after 20 minutes the shit smell that was emanating from my TV filthed up my brain so bad I couldnt stomach another minute.

Its like they took every part of the original that was moderately hokey and made a sequel based around the lousy parts. The cops that were funny in the original were sooooooooooooooooooooo
bad/annoying.

I'll have to get drunk or high to finish watching this turd anytime soon. Still cant believe it was made by the same cast/crew, AND has a 7.1 rating on IMDb. ?????

*shakes head in disgust*

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll have to get drunk or high to finish watching this turd

i highly recommend that you do both. it is very wise to cloud your judgement in this case.

but you better treat yourself really really good (like me when i watched beverly hills cop 3 and absolutely loved it)...

Top Bottom