• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Book Reviews

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure that's a typo. It should be "Knight Boat."

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FALSE RANSOM
71xha-V%2BAjL._SL1500_.jpg

hard-boiled crime novel set in 1930s los angeles.
mob boss's daughter goes missing, and thugs meet thugs, with thuggish outcomes.
engrossing stuff, tighter than a dashiell hammett novel.
percentage of soft-boiled moments: zero.

the kindle version (there's no other kind) is available for free for the time being.
http://www.amazon.com/False-Ransom-first-Chance-novel-ebook/dp/B00I9K2QL4

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bait Money by Max Collins

33b1zsz.jpg

First appearance of Collins' "Nolan" character, criminal loner patterned after Westlake's "Parker" and Willie's "Sand."
After surviving a botched hit, Nolan brokers a truce with Family members who hold a grudge.
He must pay $100K to brother of underboss he whacked years earlier.
Because of a Family contract, no pros will work with him, so he is forced to enlist amateurs.
Plot follows the last heist theme, with a lot of time devoted to establishing the caper.
Good read by a young Collins (age 20) before he placed Allan in his signature.
Followed soon thereafter by a sequel, Blood Money.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger by Louis Sachar

2s7so.jpg

The last of the "regular" Wayside books. More fun wacky stories about kids and teachers. An excellent Part 3!

I've never read the "Arithmetic" books, I guess I'll have to pick those up.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Fatboy Murders by David A. Kaufelt

gquzi.jpg

In the sleepy town of SleepyTown, a couple of murders have occurred, rich bastards who were part of the "Fatboys Club". Local real estate attorny Wyn Lewis solves the case, but not before about 200 pages of backstories and soap opera I didn't care about. Snoozefest.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If Chins Could Kill - Confessions of a B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell

umqq.jpg

I love Bruce. Bruce write book. Book is good. Not all Bruce movies good, but book good.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congo by Michael Crichton

14e1.jpg

An expedition for rare diamonds goes wrong. Scientist/company-woman recruits Scientist/gorilla-whisperer to go deep into jungle, along with a signing gorilla and a "great-white-hunter" and his gang. Obstacles are overcome. Adventures are had. Engaged throughout I was. Shitty movie adaptation (with Bruce Campbell in a small role!) was shitty.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Indiana Jones and the Lost Treasure of Sheba by Rose Estes

ykq5.jpg

An old-school "choose your own adventure" book. Definitely for young readers. I finished all threadlines in one bus trip. Was funny to remember how some of these ended. "Oops, we chose poorly. We're in jail forever now. The End."

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Vanishing Hitchhiker: American Urban Legends and Their Meanings by Jan Harold Brunvand

zwr4.jpg

I didn't know what I was expecting. I love urban legend/campfire stories and this had plenty of 'em. But the problem was that it got so repetitive to hear so many variations of the same story and why people like to make up shit to scare themselves/others. Reads more like a history book than a collection of tales.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Scorsese by Ebert

ijz1v.jpg

Roger Ebert loved the shit out of Scorsese films. Have you ever had an itch to read every Ebert review of a Scorsese film? Well here's your chance. Added bonus: Repeat reviews, years later, like "Second Thoughts". Downside: Since this is a collection of reviews, there's a lot of repetition of information that we already know.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's A Boy in the Girls' Bathroom by Louis Sachar

5xf5.jpg

This is probably my favorite book of all-time. I first read it when I was 10 and I immediately started drafting the screenplay for it. As the years have gone by and I've gotten older, I still go back to this book. And as usual, I cried around page 171.

Neg: *Bawls like a baby*
Stranger on the bus: Um... are you okay?
Neg: Yeah *sniff* it's just this book is so fucking good. *Continues reading*

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sean's Book by Sean Hughes

n0ts.jpg

I saw this at a second-hand store and had to pick it up. It's my book. Oh, who's Sean Hughes? Hmm... browse... intro chapter "How To Steal This Book"... purchased.

An excellent collection of poems, prose and essays by British comedian Sean Hughes.

"The truth"

We lie to each other on a daily basis
little white lies to stop emarrassment
big black ones to save face
Multi-colored ones for the variety
We constantly can't face up to the
reality of ourselves
We escape through drugs, TV and religion
The truth seems shallow
we are shallow
we are empty
we are human
This is a foundation
knock it down
start again...
Then you can believe in you
and remember if you're looking for
something that big
it must be staring you in the face.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
If Chins Could Kill - Confessions of a B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell

I love Bruce. Bruce write book. Book is good. Not all Bruce movies good, but book good.

Loved this book. If you haven't read it already I recommend his next book "Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way".

Neglify said:
Scorsese by Ebert

Roger Ebert loved the shit out of Scorsese films. Have you ever had an itch to read every Ebert review of a Scorsese film? Well here's your chance. Added bonus: Repeat reviews, years later, like "Second Thoughts". Downside: Since this is a collection of reviews, there's a lot of repetition of information that we already know.

I feel like you're offering me another challenge. :lol: But I don't do thinks half-assed. If I were to do this, I'd do it right. And by that I mean read every review Ebert has ever written. Now that's a real man's challenge.* :lol:

A real crazy man's challenge that is. :lol:

And no, I am not about to read every single review he's ever written. Although it would probably take a hell of a lot less time than watching every single movie ever approved by the MPAA.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
If you haven't read it already I recommend his next book "Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way".

That's definitely on my list, maybe in the next batch. I went to a book-signing for that one. I gave the signed book to a co-worker as a "I'm-trying-to-bang-you" gift.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
That's definitely on my list, maybe in the next batch. I went to a book-signing for that one. I gave the signed book to a co-worker as a "I'm-trying-to-bang-you" gift.

:lol: Did it work?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, but that Rohypnol did the trick.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Down Here In The Dark by Lee Thompson

jseszl.jpg

Naval gazing horror.
Main character ex-cop is either institutionalized, or trapped a compartment of Hell, or just tweaked up.
He and two companions (keepers - fellow druggies - aspects of his own personality?)
engage in the good fight and follow him battling demons, musicians, zombies, nurses.
Trying to find their way out - if there is such a thing as out.
Subplot about guilt for wrongful death hinted at repeatedly by lethal villains.
Author Thompson creates needlessly obscure narrative, featuring characters unlikeable and, I suppose, perhaps not real.
Dark Fuse has an ambitious publishing schedule of 3-4 books per month, which often means they churn out the clunker now and then.
Horror buffs, be you cozy or gore, seek elsewhere.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blood Money by Max Collins

zk0hog.jpg

Immediate sequel to Bait Money finds Nolan returning to the Family,
managing a small motel with lounge and pool.
An offer if extended for full reinstatement, a larger establishment to manage,
if he pays a hefty "consideration."
All too soon, he learns someone found his stash and fled with it.
Guns are oiled, and the hunt begins.
Another fast moving, hard boiled yarn by a very young Max Allan Collins.

Top Bottom