• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Bond Fanedited and Reloaded - A series looking back at Last Survivor's 007 fanedits

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, as I finalize work on my latest 007 edit, Licence Revoked, I thought it would be fun to do a series looking back at my previous James Bond edits.  I've called the series "Bond Fanedited and Reloaded" and you'll find the first video below which sees me looking back at my very first 007 edit, Quantum of Solace: Bond's Revenge, released back in 2011.

How does it stack up now?  Would I do things differently?  Only one way to find out....

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"LastSurvivor" thanks for this look behind the scenes. For your next installment, may I request more focus on "why"? Not just that you made certain decisions, but more elaboration on why you did. And why you would do some things different now. That'd be insightful; an interesting master-class.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Self-indulgent" ???

Isn't that the whole point of fan editing?   :D

I wonder if the flashbacks could have been instead done as part of the opening titles?

I can not believe it has been 9 years already!!! Wow!

For you first attempt at sound replacement, this edit was amazing!  A real eye opener at what an editor can accomplish.

My memory of Bond's Revenge is I agree the mid-movie slow motion scene probably should not have been done.  But not because it does not work (which does), but that it lessens the dramatic impact of the slo-mo finale, which I enjoyed for being so different from any other Bond movie.

While I am still not a fan of Craig's Bond, my view too has soften and I agree Quantum is easily better than Skyfall or Spectre in terms of stronger story and character structure.  And I think Olga Kurylenko's Camille made for a very refreshing Bond Girl.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
@"LastSurvivor" thanks for this look behind the scenes. For your next installment, may I request more focus on "why"? Not just that you made certain decisions, but more elaboration on why you did. And why you would do some things different now. That'd be insightful; an interesting master-class.

Thanks for the comments.  That sounds a good idea to me... I will endeavour to expand on the "why" I made changes in the next video on Icarus.

bionicbob said:
"Self-indulgent" ???

Isn't that the whole point of fan editing?   :D

I wonder if the flashbacks could have been instead done as part of the opening titles?

I can not believe it has been 9 years already!!! Wow!

For you first attempt at sound replacement, this edit was amazing!  A real eye opener at what an editor can accomplish.

My memory of Bond's Revenge is I agree the mid-movie slow motion scene probably should not have been done.  But not because it does not work (which does), but that it lessens the dramatic impact of the slo-mo finale, which I enjoyed for being so different from any other Bond movie.

While I am still not a fan of Craig's Bond, my view too has soften and I agree Quantum is easily better than Skyfall or Spectre in terms of stronger story and character structure.  And I think Olga Kurylenko's Camille made for a very refreshing Bond Girl.

Cheers Bob... yeah, I definitely think the first "slow-mo" scene should go if I ever revisited this edit.  I would be tempted to keep the second one, as I still think it has an impact of sorts.  Flashbacks inserted over "new titles", now that would be interesting.   

Olga Kurylenko is easily my favourite Bond Girl of Craig's era - even more so that Eva Green.  I liked her character and she gave a very convincing performance.   

However, I'd only ever revisit this edit if I carried out a HD version... something I'm hoping a forthcoming upgrade to my computer will make easier ;)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed this one, I'm not sure if I'll ever come to appreciate Quantum of Solace despite the passage of time, this is about the only movie besides Dark Knight I haven't gotten back to more than once...I have a fond memory of attending a big gala premiere for it with my mum, who fell asleep half way through :D :rolleyes:

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a little update.  The next one in this series, on my fanedit Icarus (Die Another Day) will be coming soon!

Also, I have reuploaded the Quantum of Solace Reloaded video now.  This is to improve the quality of the video and in particular the audio which had problems on the initial version.  This is now the version you will see at the top of this thread.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With No Time to Die delayed until later this year, the release of videos for this series will be a bit more sporadic than originally intended... however, here's video number 2, where I discuss and look back at my second Bond fanedit, Icarus.

This was a special fanedit for many reasons, and one that I'm still pretty proud of... enjoy!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOVED Icarus!  

I agree with Sophie, Brosnan was the BEST.

Fantastic you were able to give him a proper swan song.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good point on Standard Definition edits and why you're more comfortable doing them. I've tried ripping blu-rays and my god the amount of storage space I sacrifice just isn't worth it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Good point on Standard Definition edits and why you're more comfortable doing them. I've tried ripping blu-rays and my god the amount of storage space I sacrifice just isn't worth it.

One thing I've noticed from editors who use 4K as a source is that their end product, even though it is either ripped in or encoded in blur ray quality in resolution and size, is much crisper looking than an edit made from a blu ray source. In the same vein, a blu ray source, even if it is not ripped at the same quality, should look crisper than an SD sourced edit. I've used iTunes sources for a number of my edits. They are about the same size on my hard drive as a full fidelity DVD, but have a higher resolution and a better visual quality. You can do the avi lossless route and create source files that are extremely large, or you can start with the best source available and then create a source file to fit your hardware.

Top Bottom