• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blu Ray Laptop Disc Drive Query

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys,

I know you can rip off blu ray if you have a blu ray disc drive.

My question - what sort of price range are blu ray compatible laptops?

Are all blu ray laptops able to rip files?

Also, what's the best editing software for blu ray?

Many thanks,

Warlord

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As far as I'm aware, any Blu Ray drive should be able to rip the discs. As long as it can read it, it's up to the software to rip it. Not all drives can burn files to a disc though, so if that's important to you then you'd best look closely and make sure it has such a capability. Otherwise, any should be good.
As far as your other inquiries, I don't have an answer for you right now, hopefully someone else can give insight.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many thanks. I'm not interested in ripping to disc, just ripping off a blu ray disc for editing.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My laptop has a blu ray drive, but it stopped reading blu ray discs some time ago. I just bought an external used blu ray drive when that happened and have no problems. I think I paid $50 or so for the drive.

I'm partial to Vegas Pro. It can edit the m2ts blu ray files, but you'll need to convert the audio from ac3 or dts files to pcm/wave or aac files to edit. I usually create a 1:1 mp4 and aac track to edit. You can MakeMKV or Movie rescuer to create the base file and then avidemux to create the mp3 aac Vegas compatible file. There are many other ways to prep your sources though.

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a very old laptop though, and it struggled to properly play Dwight Fry's blu ray version of Star Trek's That Which Survives on VLC player.

Is it worth upgrading to a better laptop with decent software, and then in the event the drive fails down the line - like yours did - I could always get an external drive?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I'd go with the best computer possible and buy an external. Lots of laptops don't even have disc drives anymore.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I'd go with the best computer possible and buy an external. Lots of laptops don't even have disc drives anymore.
I definitely concur with the esteemed @DigModiFicaTion, consider them two separate items and go external for the drive. I've had excellent experience with Panasonic external BD's, though it may be time to get a new one (not because my current doesn't work, but it predates 4k so if I want to try my hand at anything in 4k...

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are some specific blu ray drives that can read UHD with some software. I think it depends on what Intel processor generation you are using.

Top Bottom