• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blu-ray and the Mac

hebrides said:
thunderclap said:
I opened it in Quicktime and it played beautifully and, once again, the frame rate was right. I then imported it into FCP and... it's shit. 10 fps.

I'm a little off my game today, so sorry if this has been gone over before, but do you have VisualHub? If so, the DV conversion has a box you can check called "Ready for Final Cut." Might be worth a try, even though the file size is likely to be pretty huge...

VisualHub is no longer being developed, though I believe two or three developers are using the source code to develop their own versions. But that doesn't answer your question. :)

No... I haven't tried VisualHub in this instance. The problem is that if I do a DV version ready for FCP it will drop it to DV resolution (720x480). I'm trying to maintain the 1920x1080 of Blu-Ray.

thunderclap said:
No... I haven't tried VisualHub in this instance. The problem is that if I do a DV version ready for FCP it will drop it to DV resolution (720x480). I'm trying to maintain the 1920x1080 of Blu-Ray.

Ah yes...should have thought of that. Told you I was a bit off today :wink:

yea, this is very frustrating! AnyDVD HD is Great for a straight BD rip. i mean you get everything in about 15 minutes. a complete rip. it is better than PavTube for ?. i have been bouncing from my ? to my girlfriends PC burning Blu Rays, just copying them for them time being. it will be kind of hard for me to start editing on here computer if yo guys with girlfriends know what i mean.

all of the sudden my 5 out of 5 success rate went to 2 failed discs last night. i dont know why, it burned the image(iso), then verified it after it burned, threw it in the PS3 and it said unsupported data, i don't know?

does anyone know of a place to get cheap blank Blu Ray 50gb media discs?

Okay... I THINK I have a method for ripping and encoding BR into a usable media for Final Cut Pro on Mac. I haven't tested this for any other program so your guess is as good as mine. I've only experimented with a short clip but it worked unlike previous attempts. While I work on a full two hour movie I figured I'd post this here for others to experiment with and try. If the full version works for me I may write up a full guide. The goal is to keep everything in the proper frame rate and resolution... especially frame rate!

You WILL need access to Windows, so either boot up in Boot Camp on your Mac or purchase one of the virtualization programs out there. I have VMWare Fusion.

One final warning: this process will take days. Here is an breakdown of the approx. times: Demux: 1-2 hours. Remux to MP4: 12-14 hours. Convert MP4 to Apple ProRes: 45-50 hours. Grand total: 58 hours MINIMUM.

1.) [WINDOWS/MAC] Rip the M2TS file to your hard drive using AnyDVD HD (Window) or Pavtube (Windows/Mac) or some other ripping program.

2.) [WINDOWS/MAC] Demux the M2TS file with tsMuxeR. This program is available for Windows and Mac, but if you use it on a Mac be aware that there is currently no Snow Leopard support. I tested it and it crashes.

To demux simply add the M2TS file to tsMuxeR. Select ONLY the video track (should be #1) and the AC3 audio track (probably #3). Do NOT use the DTS-HD audio as it will cause an a/v sync issue later. Deselect everything else.

Choose Demux for the Output and select a destination. Click Start Demuxing. This will probably take at least an hour but could take longer, so sit back and relax.

3.) [WINDOWS] Once the demux is done you will have two files: a .264 video file and a .AC3 audio file. We now need to put this in a container that Quicktime will like. For this we need RipBot264.

Start RipBot264. Click Add. In the New Job window enter the path to your recently demuxed .264 file. Make sure the Profile is set to HIGH 4.0 HD - Blu-Ray. If it demuxed properly you should see the FPS as 23.976. Choose 2-Pass Mode and set the KBPS to your liking. For fan editing I suggest 6144 or 8192.

In Audio navigate to your .AC3 file. For now just go with 2.0 CT AAC-LC 128 kbps.

Choose where you want to Output file to go. Save as a .MP4. Click Done. Click Start.

Sit back and pray you don't suffer a crash or power outage.

4.) [Mac] Start Compressor and drop the MP4 file into it. Select Apple ProRes 422 and leave all the default settings alone. Choose a destination and hit Submit. Again, pray you don't have a crash or a power outage.

Once that's done you should have a working MOV file that can be edited in FCP.

Did you try the FCP Log and Transfer option from M2TS into ProRes?
Have you heard of ClipWrap?
What was wrong with M2TS to Mpeg Streamclip=ProRes?

killbillme said:
Did you try the FCP Log and Transfer option from M2TS into ProRes?

I did but I kept getting an error that it was an unrecognizable format. May have been the DTS-HD audio causing the issue.

Have you heard of ClipWrap?

I have and I tried. Kept getting a general error so I e-mailed them. Their program doesn't support BR rips.

[quote:1547zuq0]What was wrong with M2TS to Mpeg Streamclip=ProRes?
[/quote:1547zuq0]

For some reason it wouldn't take the M2TS. Again, I think it has something to do with the DTS-HD.

Success! The outline I posted a few messages up works.

thats awesome man! i have trying my luck with Adobe Encore CS4. i haven't gotten a real chance to sit and play with it, but it seems lie it might do the trick. i am going to give your method a shot on a small clip as well.

i have installed perian, but i keep getting a codec error. its like my Mac isn't supporting HD. i can play .m2ts and converted formats of HD, but it is choppy and such. anyone know a way to fix the codec issue i am having? i am trying to figure out if all my codecs are properly installed and running right, but the HD is giving me a hard time.

Back
Top Bottom