• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blu-ray and the Mac

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blu-ray and the Mac

I know very little about Blu-ray and I have read a thread on FE forum that tackles the subject of editing with Blu-ray.

....BUT what are the options for Mac users?

I quote:

"Apple is very reluctant into buying into Blu-ray (acquiring the expensive license) because Jobs thinks that digital download will takeover.
As of right now, Macs support burning data, etc onto a Blu-ray discs using Toast. So apple isn't completely out of the Blu-ray scene. However Macs do not support Blu-ray Playback. There are substantial rumors that the next release of MOSX 10.5.6 will support Blu-ray playback. If not, then OSX 10.6 will."

Also there are some programs for converting a Blue-ray disc into other video formats workable in Final Cut.

http://www.my-video-converter.com/blu_ray_ripper_mac/

An article on importing Blu-ray into Final Cut Express.

http://forums.intomobile.com/apple/1792 ... g-mac.html

What is a bit concerning is that certain Blu-ray discs have exclusive features such as deleted scenes which will not be available on the regular DVDs.

Any Mac editors have any simplified info for understanding what is and what is not possible with Blu-ray?

at a minimum it seems that osx should be able to function as well as linux - the tools to rip bluray are java/C so fink could would work for that.

it seems more of a video editor/editing issue to me

i need all the help i can get to burn anything to a blu ray disc so i can watch it on my PS3 or my blu ray player. i can burn blu ray data no problem, but not the .m2ts folders/files. my Toast software says unsupported? i updated the BD Plug In today, got fresh blank 25gb blanks with a LG blu Ray burner. i have tried several programs, but cannot figure out how to put anything on there to watch on my players.

can anyone help me? i need advice on the best ripping software, converting software. and if someone could guide me in a few steps on how to copy a blu ray, or even burn existing files(MKV) to blu ray it would be much appreciated. thank you guys!!!

The program I use to rip Blu-Ray is PavTube Blu-Ray Ripper. While I questioned the legitimacy of it initially, I decided to take a gamble and purchase it. (There is a demo available too.)

It actually does what it sets out to do: rip M2TS files from Blu-Ray discs either as a direct copy or a conversion. My only problem is that the only conversion available right now is that you only have two compressors: xvid and H.264. Neither work very well in Final Cut Pro, my NLE of choice.

You can, however, take your converted file and convert it once more using MPEG Streamclip or Apple's Compressor. I'm still work working out the kinks though.

I initially used Apple's ProRes compression and kept the resolution at 1920x1080p and it looked beautiful, but when converted to DVD the footage was a little jumpy. I then tried the XDCAM HD compression but that needed to be re-rendered in FCP. I'm currently dropping the resolution to 720p to see if that plays nicer.

thunderclap said:
I initially used Apple's ProRes compression and kept the resolution at 1920x1080p and it looked beautiful, but when converted to DVD the footage was a little jumpy. I then tried the XDCAM HD compression but that needed to be re-rendered in FCP. I'm currently dropping the resolution to 720p to see if that plays nicer.

I've tried MakeMKV(beta) and then converting to MOV via ImTOO Video Converter Ultimate. The initial results at 1920x1080p looked very promising, though I'd need to deinterlace in FCP or AE (I was working with bonus features, interlaced at 29.97 fps). Don't have the hard drive space to pursue it further right now, and I was borrowing an external Blu-Ray drive, but I may revisit the idea at some point.

Interesting details about the compression methods. Please keep us posted :)

yea, i thought this would be as easy to rip a Blu ray as it is a DVD, but i was wrong. there are a few steps with different software for each one. i guess it is because of all the data on the disc.

i tried Pavtube last night, but it kept saying "Disc temporarily unavailable" for every blu ray i put in.

i did manage to use MakeMkv to rip the MKV file, then i used HandBrake to convert to H.264, then burned to disc. i am sure i lost a bit of quality, but this is the easiest way i have found yet.

scrapesky said:
i tried Pavtube last night, but it kept saying "Disc temporarily unavailable" for every blu ray i put in.

If you don't mind me asking what BR have you tried? If I have them I'll give 'em a shot.

The only time PavTube gave me that error is when I tried to open a M2TS file on my hard drive when I tried to mimic a BR disc folder structure. (i.e. I created a BVMS/STREAM folder structure on my drive) But from BR discs I haven't had a problem yet.

^^i tried it with "Cujo", Creepshow" , and a couple others, but always the same response about temporarily unavailable. i havent tried many others, maybe i will give it a shot later.

i was trying to grab the "Stream "folder (.m2ts), i thought it was like a blu rays version of Video_TS folders(.Vob)

should i go about this another way? instead of a direct rip, maybe a conversion or encode? all new to me, and seems hard on a Mac, but it seems like nothing on a PC.

scrapesky said:
^^i tried it with "Cujo", Creepshow" , and a couple others, but always the same response about temporarily unavailable. i havent tried many others, maybe i will give it a shot later.

i was trying to grab the "Stream "folder (.m2ts), i thought it was like a blu rays version of Video_TS folders(.Vob)

should i go about this another way? instead of a direct rip, maybe a conversion or encode? all new to me, and seems hard on a Mac, but it seems like nothing on a PC.

Unfortunately I don't have either of those movies.

You are correct that it is the Stream folder. What Blu-Ray drive do you have out of curiosity? What Mac?

And I encourage a direct copy as opposed to a conversion on the fly. Converting means that the program is constantly grinding away on your optical drive, something that can reduce its life. It's always better to do a direct copy first and then a conversion so your hard drive is taking the punishment.

I use a LG Blu Ray rewriter. When I got it, it said for Windows, came with a Windows CDROM. I called LG tech support and asked if I needed to return it, theytold me the drive isn't compatible with a Mac OS. But Gerold me to try it, so I did. I burned Planet Earth epeisodes 1-6 as data on blu Ray, but can't watch it.

I just can't figure out where I am going wrong. It seems I have it figured out and all the software to do it, as well as the drives for it.

Toast gives me a error code 50, on Mac support it says it is a "paramater" error or something. Not sure I have converted the files to M4V and H.264 neither will work in Toast.

ok, so i got PavTube to work on "The Hangover" and extract the .m2ts files finally, only problem importing them to "Toast", is i am missing a VC-1 codec fro my Mac, and from what i have read, they are not cheap or free anywhere i have seen. can anyone tell me how to get this codec? i have everything else i think i need to burn Blu Ray, like i said i bought the Blu Ray Plug in for Toast, so hopefully this codec is all i need.

when i tried to import (drop & drag) the .m2ts files into Toast, it said i was missing the VC-1 codec.

someone help please and i think i figured it out, except for the codec.

Don't use Toast, so I can't help you there. Did you try converting the M2TS file first and then importing it into Toast?

which burning software for ? do you use? also, you asked if i converted the .m2ts, which format do i convert it to MKV?

one more thing, not sure about this VC-1 codec again, cannot figure this out for ?. no problem with PC, but Windows isn't my machine. i really want to figure this out. i know there is a way.
if i can find this codec, maybe i will be fine.

you asked about if i converted the .m2ts, so rip the .m2ts file/s, convert them to ( ? ) format, then burn it right?

like i said, im no stranger to burning anything at all, by any means, just not BLU Ray and on Mac.

thank you guys for helping me.

scrapesky said:
which burning software for ? do you use? also, you asked if i converted the .m2ts, which format do i convert it to MKV?

MKV isn't standard for Apple so I'd suggest an H.264 MOV or MP4 file.

I just use Apple's built in burner for data DVD's or DVD Studio Pro for DVD's. When it comes to the fanedit stuff I do that in Windows.

one more thing, not sure about this VC-1 codec again, cannot figure this out for ?. no problem with PC, but Windows isn't my machine. i really want to figure this out. i know there is a way. if i can find this codec, maybe i will be fine.

Do you have Perian installed? That might help.

just sprung out of the trial version of PavTube for a legit version and bought it, works great so far. i tried to rip Terminator: Salvation last night, but they seemed to have jumbled the .m2ts files all up. they were in no order at all. some had Director commentary, some didn't, and were not in a direct order. like i was saying in a post a couple up, when i ripped the "Hangover" no problem. i extracted the .m2ts files, found the one i needed, unchecked the rest to save time & space, and that was that.

so im feeling good about learning this. i took a few smaller .m2ts files and converted them to 3 different formats. H.264, MOV, M4V, and another i can' remember. i use Xilisoft Ultimate Video Convertor. it works great. haven't had one problem with one movie. in the Xilisoft program i can convert in Standard or High Def .Mov format. Common sense is telling me to convert to HD Mov, but will the other Standard MOV format be a smaller file size, also was wondering if the format would be recognized for the HD Blu Ray?

"thunderclap" i really appreciate your help here. it is helping me learn more every time you give me advice, so thanks!.

aside from FanEditing, on a Mac how do you personally burn your Blu Ray movies? i haven't looked at my other posts before i ask you, so not sure if i have asked already. but i have to know.
so from scratch, if you wanted to copy(rip) " A random movie" Blu Ray to your Mac, and make a copy for personal use. which would be your method to make a back up? i ask because i noticed in your last post that you said you don't use "Toast", so i am curious about your converting software, and burning software on Mac. i thought you had said something about Final Cut Pro with Dvd Studio Pro. i have FCP & FCE on my Mac, but i am not familiar with them yet. i really need to learn how to build a "assett" i think that is what its called? a separate audio and video folder if i am right. anyway, i am trying to learn this, just taking me sometime. i appreciate your patience with me on this.

scrapesky said:
i took a few smaller .m2ts files and converted them to 3 different formats. H.264, MOV, M4V, and another i can' remember. i use Xilisoft Ultimate Video Convertor. it works great. haven't had one problem with one movie. in the Xilisoft program i can convert in Standard or High Def .Mov format. Common sense is telling me to convert to HD Mov, but will the other Standard MOV format be a smaller file size, also was wondering if the format would be recognized for the HD Blu Ray?

The only issue I'm having with PavTube right now is keeping the appropriate frame rate for Blu-Ray which is 23.976. If I deviate from the default 30 fps I get some weird issues such as sync problems and stuttering. I've e-mailed tech support and am waiting for a response. But for $50 it's still the cheapest "easy" ripper out there.

aside from FanEditing, on a Mac how do you personally burn your Blu Ray movies?

I actually haven't burned a BR movie yet, only data. Toast or Adobe Encore is probably the best way of doing this, but I haven't really looked into it. Yet.

so from scratch, if you wanted to copy(rip) "A random movie" Blu Ray to your Mac, and make a copy for personal use. which would be your method to make a back up?

If it was just a back up and not for editing I'd just stick with PavTube and use the default settings since the quality is outstanding.

i ask because i noticed in your last post that you said you don't use "Toast", so i am curious about your converting software, and burning software on Mac. i thought you had said something about Final Cut Pro with Dvd Studio Pro. i have FCP & FCE on my Mac, but i am not familiar with them yet. i really need to learn how to build a "assett" i think that is what its called? a separate audio and video folder if i am right. anyway, i am trying to learn this, just taking me sometime. i appreciate your patience with me on this.[/quote]

I'm still working out a work flow for converting to an editable version. The problem is H.264 is a delivery codec and not and editing one, so if you stick this into FCP or FCE it's going to want to render it in something it can play nice with like ProRes. But that's where things get tricky as I touched in above. I'm doing an experiment now and will know more in the next day or two. If it works I'll post my method.

I'm trying new methods. As well as trying to learn FCP. Seems kind of difficult for a beginner. I have a few of the "Lynda" tutorials, and they are pretty helpful. You ever used them before?

Well in the meantime I will see if I can figure out a simpler method other than running the file through so many programs. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep posting updates on my progress. I'm hoping to learn a nice method so I can get into HD FanEditing. A lot more effort than expected. Before I bought the BD writer I assumed a couple programs could rip and burn a movie or files, but I was wrong. Should have done more reading.

so i finally figured it out, just not on the ? yet. i installed AnyDvd HD on my PC, as well as IMGburn. i use AnyDVD HD to extract the entire Blu Ray either in its files/folders, or the other option of the entire Blu Ray into one giant .ISO file. so what i do is search for the correct .m2ts file in the "stream" folder, take it to IMGburn then turn it into an ISO, then burn it as an image to disc (blu ray). it was my last shot on my own,and it worked!!!! i felt good about it. i just have to watch it, and make sure i don't have to use any of the 50gb blu ray discs, a bit expensive for me. so far so good though. not one failed disc yet. i have 5 out of 5 success rate now!!!!

AnyDVD HD being a Windows program, i am having a buddy come over any install Windows 7 on my Mac so i can use all my programs on one computer. Macintosh is my machine. well, i thought i would keep you guys updated on my progress. maybe my advice can help some of you? now i am just trying to figure out the whole mkv to blu ray. i wonder if i turn them into image (iso files) they might work?

Getting the file ripped and encoded isn't the hard part for me, it's getting it encoded into a usable file for editing. What I'm bumping into is that PavTube only seems to play the file properly at 30 fps even though BR has a frame rate of 23.976 (aka 24 fps). Any time I try to get the frame rate to that I have issues.

My latest attempt was converting the M2TS file to an MKV file first. The MKV file registers properly at 23.976 in VLC Player. Using the Perian plugin for Quicktime I opened it in Quicktime (still registered at 23.976 fps) and converted it to a FCP friendly ProRes file. After nearly 48 hours of encoding it finished. I opened it in Quicktime and it played beautifully and, once again, the frame rate was right. I then imported it into FCP and... it's shit. 10 fps.

I'm beginning to wonder if PavTube rips M2TS files improperly and that is the culprit. My next attempt with be a brand new rip using MakeMKV and then I'll try transcoding a few minutes to ProRes and see if that works. If that doesn't, then my next attempt will be AnyDVD HD.

Or I need to find a way of taking the 30 fps file and doing a telecine treatment on it to get it to 24 fps. But that seems stupid since the source is 23.976.

This is so damn frustrating, but there has to be a way of doing this. I'm not giving up yet.

thunderclap said:
I opened it in Quicktime and it played beautifully and, once again, the frame rate was right. I then imported it into FCP and... it's shit. 10 fps.

I'm a little off my game today, so sorry if this has been gone over before, but do you have VisualHub? If so, the DV conversion has a box you can check called "Ready for Final Cut." Might be worth a try, even though the file size is likely to be pretty huge...

Back
Top Bottom