• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blood Beach: extended and uncut

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Title says it all. About 99% done with this "originally for a friend project"

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is one of the tv trailers for the film since the actual trailer is pretty horrible

Blood Beach is a 1980 horror film with a "something" pulling people down beneath the sand....

This extended fanedit uses PAL sources for 99% of the project and for the first time I am keeping it in PAL format. It is very easy nowadays to play a PAL format disc if you are in the world of NTSC.

1. The film had a nice region 2 dvd release (with both English and German audio). However this release omits the police station scene. It does provide it in German audio only as an extra but it also cuts out seconds before and after this scene occurs as well as looking like total shit This scene in English has always been in the US vhs edition (as well as the previous German vhs edition)

2. The very rare German vhs has two additional gore shots that were clearly made by the distributor for whatever reason. Not only does it show parts of the monster it doesn't have (like claws), for one shot they actually constructed some sort of monster from hell puppet thing. They also cut some seconds from the original film to put these shots in. I noticed that you could still put these shots in and not remove any footage from the original and just tinker with the audio to fix it

3. The dvd and all footage is presented in 4:3 full screen (open matte)-- deal with it. Stretching this out to fit a 16x9 ratio gave it a little more stretch that I cared for. In fact if you saw a side by side of the full frame with the 16x9 you would see a huge difference and actually prefer the 4:3 picture. I also decided against a 4:3 in 16x9 ratio since that shrinks the picture even more.

4. The sources used for this were interesting in that I had a progressive pal, interlaced pal and a straight interlaced ntsc at 29.97 source (meaning I could not inverse telecine to 25 frames) as well as another audio source for the US material. In the end everything is now progressive PAL at 25 frames per second. I also cleaned up the 4:3 "box" and made nice and crisp picture edges, rather than 12 pixels of black on the left and 6 pixels of black on the right

5. Fixed the intro title on this foreign release to mimic (to a lesser extent) the original US intro title screen

6. Bonus goodies include the original US intro, 2 tv spots and the trailer, 10 min commentary by me.

what this extended version does: restores the police scene, adds in the two gore shots made for the very rare German vhs and still keeps every frame of the original film. This is now the longest and most complete version of the film out there. It may not be much, but for those who are fans of this film it is certainly worth having

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds awesome, I enjoyed seeing your Dead Heat Norwegian COmposite and this sounds right up my alley

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, I am trying to fix the audio a little more. The German audio track was nicely restored, but the film's English track (and what the movie was shot with) is rough and in mono. I made a fake stereo conversion which helps a little but not much. I am considering just keeping the audio as pcm since the disc will probably be in the dual layered range to begin with

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
going through the final testing stages now but so far so good

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cleaned up and removed several sound bugs that were on the english soundtrack and seemingly from film print damage. Also might slightly change the title screen to resemble the US title screen, since this version uses a still shot with the US and German title in it rather than showing the title appear over a motion shot like it does in the original

so far the extras are going to be the normal US intro, the trailer for the film and at least two tv spots

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
finished a few days ago- please move to Extended editions
full info and cover work will be up shortly on the IFD

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
done and done. nice to see another tranzor edit done :)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good call on the 4:3. No need to force widescreen if it doesn't look good. Congratulations on finishing, you'll have to tell me what that feels like.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
done and done. nice to see another tranzor edit done :)

Thank you, now if I would actually do a true fanedit rather than something like this

reave said:
Good call on the 4:3. No need to force widescreen if it doesn't look good. Congratulations on finishing, you'll have to tell me what that feels like.

It is always the simple edits that prove to be the most work. The biggest hassle was shifting the audio to still work with the two gore shot inserts. Added a 5 and 6 to the first post since I forgot to mention them here. Oh stop, you will finish whatever it is you are working on when the time is right. -Also as a side and unrelated note, your deck will be out within two weeks

PS this disc will also have cover work with it

most people are not aware of how much stretch it usually takes for a 4:3 to 16x9 transfer. Take a look at this shot from the film and you will see why I stuck with the 4:3 (left)

inl1o43254wzszd3t0b0.jpg

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
It is very easy nowadays to play a PAL format disc if you are in the world of NTSC.

It is??? I'd sure like to know how you do it. I always have to convert with software and forget about the menus.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stretch009 said:
It is??? I'd sure like to know how you do it. I always have to convert with software and forget about the menus.

most flatscreens now don't have the same issues that CRTs had in the US. As long as you have a DVD player that will play PAL, you're fine. Honestly, most of the super-cheap DVD players play PAL. I have a $25 unit that plays fine. Won't display properly on my older RCA CRT TV, but works on my samsung flatscreen.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
most flatscreens now don't have the same issues that CRTs had in the US. As long as you have a DVD player that will play PAL, you're fine. Honestly, most of the super-cheap DVD players play PAL. I have a $25 unit that plays fine. Won't display properly on my older RCA CRT TV, but works on my samsung flatscreen.

Thanks for the info. I still wonder why my Panasonic Blu-Ray player won't play PAL DVD's though.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stretch009 said:
Thanks for the info. I still wonder why my Panasonic Blu-Ray player won't play PAL DVD's though.

Like I alluded to above, its mostly the cheapo units that will play both formats. For some reason a lot of the higher grade units still have the restriction (unless you have a nice OPPO unit, which are awesome). If I were you, I'd look for a really cheap DVD player that will handle PAL, and save yourself a lot of hassle. I think the one I have is a GPX D1816

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If those players could slow it down and get rid of the awful helium voices, now *that* would be something.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stretch009 said:

Hey Stretch,
Throw is quite correct. Go into any Bestbuy, Walmart, Sears etc (if you have a K-mart by you they sell the seiki player which in addition to playing PAL iis also an all region dvd AND all region blu player). Virtually 85-90% of the lesser name brands will do PAL. Don't blind buy, but write down some names and model numbers and check online

Did you try an all region PAL in your Panasonic deck? Do you have the make and model number handy, might be something it can do but you need to do something else to it first (I can look into that). Also if you have an Xbox 360 that will convert and play PAL (as long as it is a region free disc, unless your system is modded) as well (though they do not advertise it)

TV's Frink said:
If those players could slow it down and get rid of the awful helium voices, now *that* would be something.

haha some machines are better than others but also some films you really do not notice it and others it is very apparent (like the UK original 1980s Star trek movie)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor has an excellent point about format AND region coding being 2 factors you need to deal with. I should mention that I had to apply a region free hack to my GPX player to remove the region coding. The "hack" simply involves pushing a series of buttons on the remote.

Anyway, I think we've derailed this thread sufficiently enough. If the discussion about playing PAL discs needs to continue, we'll start or merge with a different thread. Let's get back to talking about tranzor's extended blood beach cut :)

Top Bottom