• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blair Witch 2 - Recut

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tumblr_owli2itiXn1urlrbdo1_540.png

I've always been a fan of the 2000 Blair Witch sequel, Book of Shadows. Now that the internet is talking about the witch again thanks to the new film, I've decided to make my own attempt to "fix" all the issues in the film removing all the footage imposed by the studio and a few other things I didn't like. In short, I removed the unnecessary gore and the cheap scares to make the film more psychological and ambiguous, like the director originally intended. Changes 

Changes:

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Inserted some title cards during the opening interviews with more info about the Blair Witch phenomenon and some background information about character Jeff. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed all scenes of Jeff in the mental institution.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed all the gore that intercuts with the opening credits. Opening music changed to Frank Sinatra's "Witchcraft". [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed all the murder flashbacks that play thru the film. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed Kim staring at the horrible CGI owl at the foundation. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed Tristen's vision of the drowned little girl at the hospital (cheesy and not scary at all)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed the white flash of the Coffin Rock bodies appearing in the footage and Stephen saying bored it "reminded him of Coffin Rock". Makes no sense since they never videotaped the murders there. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed Stephen's vision of the little girl walking backwards on the bridge (same reason, cheesy and not scary). Instead he only hears the shriek and gets startled but when he looks again it's gone.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed Erica clawing Stephen's stomach. Instead the hallucination ends after she asks him about his markings. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed rednecks throwing rocks at the van because of that blaring rock music that completely kills the mood of the subsequent scene when Kim sees the kids walking on the road. Kept the kids but changed the soundtrack to Carter Burwell's score. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed Kim finding the bloody nail file in the beer bag as it gives away what happened at the store.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- All the flashbacks of Jeff drooling that white liquid were replaced by other moments of him in the hospital. The drool looks tasteless and stupid in my opinion.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed child Erica staring at Stephen hanging from the broken bridge saying "You know who it is" as it makes no sense. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- Removed the owl crashing the window as it's just out of the blue and adds nothing to the plot. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- All the interrogation scenes were moved to the end of the film. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- End credits music replaced by "10538 Overture" by Electric Light Orchestra. I like Poe's "Haunted" but hated all the blaring rock music that played afterwards during the shaky camera footage, and Poe's song wouldn't work in that footage, so I've chose a song that would fit the whole ending credits sequence.[/font] 

Video comparing my reworked intro with film's original intro:

Trailer:

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neosmith said:
Are you aware that there already is a project like this? 

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/book-of-shadows-blair-witch-2-a-stefanedit/

Not saying that you shouldn't do it, but just keep that in mind.

Oh yeah. If you go to the Blair Witch Fan Forum there are at least two more besides that one.
I think it's great fans of this film are showing their love trying to fix the studio's mess. For a long time I thought I was the only fan of Blair Witch 2. 
Although we all have the same intention with our projects, each fanedit has a different vision with different cuts. It's great!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to pending while it's waiting for an Academy member to preview it. Thanks.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched @"Agent Sam Stanley" edit of 'Blair Witch 2' for the ifdb Academy. Here are my thoughts...

Good gods the characters/actors in this movie are irritating a**holes, I was begging for them all to die within the first 10 minutes. Horribly written and horribly acted. How 90s is this movie? None more 90s... from the dated music choices, to the annoying pop video editing. Or maybe it's like a bad Buffy fanfilm. It looks so TV, it can barely be called a movie.

Anyway, as you can tell, I really don't like it but that's not the point. The question is... is this a competent edit of said movie? The answer is yes. I didn't notice the changes (wherever they were) audio, or visual. The encoding quality is excellent. I watched a 3.5gb 720p mp4 copy and it looked about as good as you could expect. So this is approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

Thread moved.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Good gods the characters/actors in this movie are irritating a**holes, I was begging for them all to die within the first 10 minutes. Horribly written and horribly acted.

ha! That was my opinion of the original Blair Witch. I was so angry I wasted money on that to see it in the theater. I just wanted the characters to die so that the movie could end. Blair Witch 1 left such a bad taste in my mouth that I couldn't stomach trying to watch the sequel.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
TM2YC said:
Good gods the characters/actors in this movie are irritating a**holes, I was begging for them all to die within the first 10 minutes. Horribly written and horribly acted.

ha! That was my opinion of the original Blair Witch. I was so angry I wasted money on that to see it in the theater. I just wanted the characters to die so that the movie could end. Blair Witch 1 left such a bad taste in my mouth that I couldn't stomach trying to watch the sequel.

Oh yeah, I hated the first film too naturally... but it's "Citizen Kane" next to the sequel.

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I've watched @"Agent Sam Stanley" edit of 'Blair Witch 2' for the ifdb Academy. Here are my thoughts...

Good gods the characters/actors in this movie are irritating a**holes, I was begging for them all to die within the first 10 minutes. Horribly written and horribly acted. How 90s is this movie? None more 90s... from the dated music choices, to the annoying pop video editing. Or maybe it's like a bad Buffy fanfilm. It looks so TV, it can barely be called a movie.

Anyway, as you can tell, I really don't like it but that's not the point. The question is... is this a competent edit of said movie? The answer is yes. I didn't notice the changes (wherever they were) audio, or visual. The encoding quality is excellent. I watched a 3.5gb 720p mp4 copy and it looked about as good as you could expect. So this is approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

Thread moved.

Haha, I'm sorry you had to sit through a movie you hate so much. Thank you for the kind words about the edit and for the approval  :D

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta tell ya folks I can't remember the theatrical cut of this one for the life of me, it's been a looong time, I am however a BW fan, coincidentally I actually just watched steFAN's edit and really ended up enjoying it, I'll have to check this one out as well at some point  :)

zlinx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello.

Did you preserve all the secrets of esrever?

And why did you delete Treacle apparition? Is just me who see similarities between she and the miscarried baby of Tristen?

Thank you.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
zlinx said:
Hello.

And why did you delete Treacle apparition? Is just me who see similarities between she and the miscarried baby of Tristen?

By the way… [request removed by moderator]

Please read the rules before posting again:
http://www.fanedit.org/rules/

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zlinx said:
Hello.

Hi,

Sorry no. I wanted the fanedit to be in HD, and the HD copy I was able to find didn't carry the secrets of esrever. 

zlinx said:

Thank you.

I never liked the Treacle apparition. Even my 6 year old nephew laughs at that. It's not scary and in my opinion kills the emotional impact of the scene, which is the killing of Tristen's baby. 
By similarities you mean the fact that Treacle was drowned in a lake and in her dream Tristen was trying to murder her baby also in a lake?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agent Sam Stanley said:
I wanted the fanedit to be in HD, and the HD copy I was able to find didn't carry the secrets of esrever.

I do hope that by "find" you mean "purchased." Please make sure to read our rules, especially our own the source rule. More info here: http://www.fanedit.org/long-rules/

zlinx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agent Sam Stanley said:
zlinx said:
Hello.

Hi,

Sorry no. I wanted the fanedit to be in HD, and the HD copy I was able to find didn't carry the secrets of esrever. 

zlinx said:

Thank you.

I never liked the Treacle apparition. Even my 6 year old nephew laughs at that. It's not scary and in my opinion kills the emotional impact of the scene, which is the killing of Tristen's baby. 
By similarities you mean the fact that Treacle was drowned in a lake and in her dream Tristen was trying to murder her baby also in a lake?

I think the secrets are important part of the movie to create the whole message… (No offense, of course)

And yes… I  mean exactly that :)

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Agent Sam Stanley said:
I wanted the fanedit to be in HD, and the HD copy I was able to find didn't carry the secrets of esrever.

I do hope that by "find" you mean "purchased." Please make sure to read our rules, especially our own the source rule. More info here: http://www.fanedit.org/long-rules/

Yes sir. The movie is not available in Bluray format yet, so the only HD source I could find was Itunes, which didn't carry the hidden clues he was asking me about  ;)

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zlinx said:
I think the secrets are important part of the movie to create the whole message… (No offense, of course)

Please, you're entitled to your opinion, don't worry about it  ;)

I have to disagree. 'The secrets of esrever' was basically a marketing gimmick for the movie's home video release. It was never a part of the film's original script and wasn't featured in its theatrical run. I'm not sure but I think the director had nothing to do with it, it was basically something Artisan's marketing people created to help boost the film. I think the hidden messages are clever and fun, but never an important part of the movie.  

zlinx said:

I see, there's a connection, but I wouldn't consider it essential to the plot.

zlinx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agent Sam Stanley said:
zlinx said:

Please, you're entitled to your opinion, don't worry about it  ;)

I have to disagree. 'The secrets of esrever' was basically a marketing gimmick for the movie's home video release. It was never a part of the film's original script and wasn't featured in its theatrical run. I'm not sure but I think the director had nothing to do with it, it was basically something Artisan's marketing people created to help boost the film. I think the hidden messages are clever and fun, but never an important part of the movie.  

zlinx said:

I see, there's a connection, but I wouldn't consider it essential to the plot.

Hmmm… Maybe, maybe… :) But it completes the sentence Tristen says at the end "Seek me no further or"… "the children will walk free again".

But may this second part have meaning by itself…  :dodgy:

About Treacle… I think not everything has to be "essential" to the plot… There may be subtle details as beauty and important as the main plot twists...

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zlinx said:
About Treacle… I think not everything has to be "essential" to the plot… There may be subtle details as beauty and important as the main plot twists...

Oh definitely, what I love about this film is that many things are very subtle and open for interpretation. You can think of millions of theories. 
I have a friend who has this theory about Tristen being evil and using all the knowledge she gathered about the witch while writing the book with Stephen to offer her body and Stephen and the others as sacrifice just so the witch would get rid of the baby. It's some pretty crazy shit lol

zlinx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And that´s the reason why I think Treacle has to be there :)

Top Bottom