• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut:

I had been following the progress of this edit for some time (although, admittedly, not as long as TM2YC had been working on it) and so to fully appreciate it, I decided to check out a few different versions commercially available first - the workprint, US theatrical and the Final Cut. Each have their pluses and minuses and none are completely satisfying to me for one reason or another.

Here's where TM2YC's version comes in. He modestly titles it the 'Penultimate' cut, but I'm certain that there will be many who feel that nothing needs to come after this. The amount of detail that has gone into this version is incredible. The film looks fantastic. The oppressive blue tint is gone and a more natural tone has been achieved. This is no mean feat, considering how so many scenes can switch from dark to blinding within a few frames. It truly looks like a new film, in the best way that phrase can be taken.

I admit I am someone who pays less attention to audio than most, but there's nothing to worry about soundwise here either. The whole endeavor has been treated with respect, care and a level of professionalism that many big studios seem to lack with their own releases sometimes. My only complaint - and nothing to do with the edit itself - is that I don't have the technology to watch the BD version on my projector & screen; I watched a 720 mpg4 version on my TV and was still blown away. I can only imagine how superior it would look otherwise.

Is it a cliche to state that this will be my go-to version now? So be it. It really is that good. Bravo.

https://fanedit.org/what-the-final-cut-shouldve-been/discussions/11668/

Back
Top Bottom