• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut (TM2YC)

Problem Eliminator

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is that the Final Cut you've regraded there? The out-of-sync dialogue/mouth movements between Hassan and Deckard are fixed on my Final Cut DVD, but they're not in your clip.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Problem Eliminator said:
Is that the Final Cut you've regraded there? The out-of-sync dialogue/mouth movements between Hassan and Deckard are fixed on my Final Cut DVD, but they're not in your clip.

It's the 92' Director's Cut blu-ray. When I've graded it to the 92' DC DVD I'll be using it to remake the Final Cut with some of the little fixes, the re-timed mouth movements will definitely be one of them.

Problem Eliminator

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh I see! That makes sense. Maybe this has been asked, but I'll ask anyway: father or f***er?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Problem Eliminator said:
Oh I see! That makes sense. Maybe this has been asked, but I'll ask anyway: father or f***er?

It has been asked somewhere earlier I think but 100% "Father" for me. The angry way Rutger spits out the F in Father has far more venom IMO. Plus "f***er" is OTT language wise and less meaningful in the context of the scene.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I said this earlier, but I prefer neither. But if you just use one, I vastly prefer father. But both “father” and “f*cker” sound like a screenwriter rather than a character to me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's my intention to make this identical length-wise to the Final Cut, so swapping in your own audio mix with little things like that word in or out should be simple enough.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deckard talking to Taffy Lewis is done:

(Password: fanedit.org)

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW, colors feel vibrant and just have the right amount of warmth. I feel like I can enjoy every second so much more now that I'm not looking at the terrible colors of the final cut.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Thanks for the feedback.

The short Vid-Phon scene is done. I needed to resort to masking the screen and buttons out and grading them separately. Luckily the camera hardly moves. I forget what the Final Cut looks like in this scene but even the DC blu-ray was very under-saturated, blue-ish and slightly over brightened.

Ungraded shots:

43487151154_c71a80d0e4_z.jpg

By the way, I never noticed before that Deckard pulls a worm out of his mouth, I always assumed it was an olive (the benefits of HD, over VHS).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Small update: I'm halfway through grading the Zhora dressing room scene. Some shots are a little off what they used to be and some are way off, like this one (regrade bottom):

The very bright light coming into the dressing room is so over brightened on the DC blu-ray that almost all visual information in the highlights has been obliterated. I've got some of it back but I'll have to check over the other sources (workprint etc) to see if they look any better.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is excellent. You're doing God's work, my dude.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
You're doing God's work, my dude.

Well I don't know about that but thanks! :D 

First 2-mins of the Zhora backstage sequence is done:

The shot at the end of Zhora steeping into the shower was one of the most difficult so far. I had to break it down into 5 separate layers and mattes to get all the colours back.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hot damn, you certainly Throw Magic 2 Your Coloring

thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks great! Any ideas as to how much of the film you’ve completed at this point?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Any ideas as to how much of the film you’ve completed at this point?

A few minutes off the halfway point, so a long way to go.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The 2nd half of the Zhora dressing room scene is complete:

(There is some nudity and violence so NSFW)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first minute of the Zhora chase through the packed neon streets is done:

That takes the project up to the exact mid point, so still a long way to go. I might go back and tweak some of the early scenes before continuing because there is a certain point when I went from being 95-99% happy with the regrading results, to being 100% with every shot. Timeline so far:

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
That takes the project up to the exact mid point, so still a long way to go. I might go back and tweak some of the early scenes before continuing because there is a certain point when I went from being 95-99% happy with the regrading results, to being 100% with every shot.

Wow. I sure wish you're a professional editor in your offline life. You deserve to get paid for the amazing work you deliver. :cool:
And it'd reassure the rest of us that it's okay if we're not all at your skill level (yet).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
You deserve to get paid for the amazing work you deliver. :cool:

That way lies madness  :D .

lapis molari said:
it'd reassure the rest of us that it's okay if we're not all at your skill level (yet).

Not so much skill, as perseverance. Just keep trying to regrade the same opening Holden scene from Blade Runner for 3-years and you'll get there ;) . Speaking of that Holden scene, I'm working on it again right now and it's finally starting to look 100%.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After a few months break, I've started to work on this again. Another minute of the Zhora chase is complete (picking up from where the clip above finished):

Some shots were quite a bit different (regrade left / DC blu-ray right):

Top Bottom