• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut (TM2YC)

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am so very excited for this and am glad to hear that you feel more ready to tackle it than ever :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Indeed! :) The Holden VK scene is complete (and the intro leading to it), so here it is matched very closely (IMO) to the 1999 DVD:

(Password: fanedit.org)

It's great to have this scene in HD, back to the way I remember it. Smoky and atmospheric and not green and drastically over brightened. Again here is the Final Cut grade for comparison:

darthrush

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tumblr_ohwyo0bpVT1vjdt8po1_540.gif

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This really is one of the highlights of my year. ..congratulations

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ @"Last Impressions", as a general reminder please try not to quote the entire post if it's only a few posts away and the main source of attention. It's a lot to scroll through. :)

To get back on topic, impressive job! I haven't seen Blade Runner, but I'll probably take a look at this sometime in the future.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
darthrush said:

Love the creepy way Krennic says that line.. and thanks all.

Noodle bar scene is done and so is the Spinner ride from the bar to Bryant's office:

Final Cut version for comparison:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some shots are pretty darn different:

(^ click image to see larger comparison)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On to Leon apartment scene now, with Rachel VK all done (regrade on RHS):

(^ Click image to see larger version.)

This is the furthest I've ever got.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC, I've been following your progress on this excellent project for a while now.  As someone who was lucky enough to catch BLADE RUNNER during it's original theatrical run, I look forward to your efforts on this.

I've rewatched the likes of the DC DVD over the years, and it's warmer, more naturalistic colourisation is so seared into my head, that I find the look of the FC strangely unwatchable in comparison.  I've tried adjusting to it, but it just grinds my gears every time.

The colour regrade won't bother future generations who see it of course, as that will likely be their first exposure to the movie.  But I recall looking forward to the Final Cut being released years ago, only to be sorely disappointed with it's totally 'stylised' re-colouration.  

I'd much prefer to see it look closer to the previous DC's look, as your comparisons show.  As an example, the colours of the neon pop much more in the previous DC release than they do in the FC version, and so I'm hoping you can work a little magic to brighten up the new 'Zhora' FC shots somewhat too.

Either way, I really dislike the trend of re-colouring what were already great-looking movies for their HD releases, and wish Ridley hadn't been one of the worst perpetrators of that.  So if you can also get around to undoing his ALIEN regrade one day too, then I'd be doubly obliged!  :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ImperialFighter said:
I'm hoping you can work a little magic to brighten up the new 'Zhora' FC shots somewhat too.

Yep, my intention is to regrade the DC blu-ray and then add in shots (or parts of shots) from the 'Final Cut' to make a FC synced version. I'll use it to mask in wire-removals and stuff like Zhora's face.

Apart from growing up with the DC VHS and DVD, I also sunk a lot of hours into the superb 90s PC game and that featured lovingly recreated FX shots with the warmer grade, which further fixed it in my mind:

blade-runner_16.jpg

Having said that, in some parts (like the Rachel VK) I'm having to make them cooler.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Leon's apartment is shockingly over-brightened and blue on the DC blu-ray (nevermind the Final Cut):

(^ Click image to see larger version)

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So will your version use father or will it use f*cker? I'm hoping for the latter.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
skyled said:
So will your version use father or will it use f*cker? I'm hoping for the latter.

The Final Cut uses "Father" right? I much prefer that, it's got a tone of barely suppressed anger, the other just has anger. Googled it:

"I want more life, father." - Workprint, Final Cut
"I want more life, f*cker." - Theatrical, International, Director's Cuts.
"I want more life." - Alt. broadcast version (shown in Dangerous Days.)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mentioned this in another thread, but I actually prefer the broadcast version. Fucker seems over the top and father seems like something froma script.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer the f*cker one best because the audio actually seems like a blend of him saying father and f*cker at once. At least it does to me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Chew's Eye-World is taking some time. As it's a "cold" scene, perhaps predictably, the blues have been taken to crazy levels. With some heavy manipulation the original colours are still in there, including the red of the gross looking eyeball. A frame comparison:

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotcomparison/KDL7NNNX

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Chew scene is now done. It was quite tricky to get right as beneath the uniform blue tint there are were many subtle levels of shadow, smoke and different coloured light sources to reproduce for each shot. I'm very pleased with the result.

A not very high quality upload of the scene from youtube for comparison:

Top Bottom