• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut (TM2YC)

ChainsawAsh

Well-known member
Messages
331
Reaction score
10
Trophy Points
33
I haven't watched it all, just the first hour or so before bed, but I just wanted to say that this is some absolutely stunning work! It feels like Blade Runner again, finally.
 

Moe_Syzlak

Well-known member
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
74
Trophy Points
48
Well it doesn’t appear to be listed yet, so I’ll leave my thoughts here and then transfer to my 10/10 review later.

Wow! Simply stunning work. It was every bit worth the wait.

I still have a few issues with the Final Cut. I don’t like the unicorn; it’s too on the nose. There’s also too much eye shine. A bit here and there, even with Ford, raises questions, but the overuse doesn’t leave it as ambiguous. Then there’s other things that just bother me. I don’t like either “father” nor “fucker”—though I much prefer “father”—I would rather Roy simply not address Tyrell by any name. Finally, the love scene still seems too rapey to me.

These are edits that I might make myself, but they certainly aren’t anything that I would take away from this version. The goal was met masterfully. I never thought I’d see this movie presented so beautifully. It’s truly a gift.
 

TM2YC

Well-known member
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
12,981
Reaction score
275
Trophy Points
198
Moe_Syzlak said:
Well it doesn’t appear to be listed yet, so I’ll leave my thoughts here and then transfer to my 10/10 review later.

Wow! Simply stunning work. It was every bit worth the wait.

Thanks! That's a relief :) .
Moe_Syzlak said:
I still have a few issues with the Final Cut. I don’t like the unicorn; it’s too on the nose. There’s also too much eye shine. A bit here and there, even with Ford, raises questions, but the overuse doesn’t leave it as ambiguous.

If you don't like "on the nose" then get ready for my 'Alternate Cut' :D . If the Unicorn dream was a hint, then some of the deleted scenes, dialogue and unused voiceover are a fog horn. Gaff originally said "You've done a man's job sir... but are you sure you are man?" and the last line in the film by Rachel is "You and I were made for each other" and Deckard's first line in the film includes the phrase "... I was retired". There are other examples.

Eye shine? Like this bit?

bj4k6.jpg


That eye glint wasn't added for the FC, if that's what you mean? IIRC, there are only two FC shots in my version (beyond some elements used for wire removals) and neither feature Deckard. I never read anything into that Deckard eye glint beyond they were bouncing the light into Sean Young's eyes and Ford accidentally walked across at just the right angle to catch some of it and they didn't have the time to reshoot it.
Moe_Syzlak said:
Then there’s other things that just bother me. I don’t like either “father” nor “fucker”—though I much prefer “father”—I would rather Roy simply not address Tyrell by any name.

Have a go with the 'Edited-for-TV 1986 CBS Broadcast' audio track then ;) . It was created before the alternate "father" line was made available, so they just silenced the swear word and removed the shot. I couldn't remove the shot of him speaking in my version but I wanted to preserve the uniqueness of this audio track, so I opted to cut up Batty's dialogue to match his lip movements as best as could be achieved (the same technique the CBS mix uses at other points such as when Bryant swears). So Batty says "I want...... more life" in that mix.
 

Flubly

Active member
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
6
TM2YC said:
That eye glint wasn't added for the FC, if that's what you mean? IIRC, there are only two FC shots in my version (beyond some elements used for wire removals) and neither feature Deckard. I never read anything into that Deckard eye glint beyond they were bouncing the light into Sean Young's eyes and Ford accidentally walked across at just the right angle to catch some of it and they didn't have the time to reshoot it.

This is correct. The effect is achieved by mounting a two way mirror in front of the lens at a 45 degree angle. The reflected light is a small one mounted right next to the camera, shining into the mirror. There is no physical way to flag off the light from one subject and not the other. Any masking of the light source merely changes the shape of the reflection in the eyes. Ford would have to be at exactly the right angle for the light not to reflect in his eyes, which is tough.
 

Moe_Syzlak

Well-known member
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
74
Trophy Points
48
To be clear, my niggles are niggles that remain with the movie--one that I’ve watched and thought about way too much—even after the FC. It’s merely my list of things that I might change if I could. Ford’s eye shine may have been accidental, but I think it works brilliantly. The problem is it’s used too much throughout the rest of the film. It’s used as a way to telegraph who is a replicant. If it was used more sparingly I believe the subtle instance of it being in Ford’s eyes would’ve worked better to sow doubt about Deckard’s origins rather than the foghorn, as you put it.

For me, both the fucker and the father sound like a script to me. I don’t mind the use of either word; it just sounds like something a screenwriter would say, not Batty.

But again, I realize that was not the intent of the edit and you’ve done amazing work in restoring the FC. And, despite some of my niggles about the main movie, I’m totally curious about and can’t wait for the alternate cut.
 

ReddinoX

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
67
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
13
any news about this wonderful project? are you still improve it?
 

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
5,558
Reaction score
238
Trophy Points
113
ReddinoX said:
any news about this wonderful project? are you still improve it?

The wonderful thing about @"TM2YC" is that if an edit isn't released, you know they're making it better :)
 

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
100
Trophy Points
73
This thread celebrates it's 5th anniversary this month; proof that @"TM2YC" is not a replicant! :D
 

TM2YC

Well-known member
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
12,981
Reaction score
275
Trophy Points
198
DigModiFicaTion said:
ReddinoX said:
any news about this wonderful project? are you still improve it?

The wonderful thing about @"TM2YC" is that if an edit isn't released, you know they're making it better :)

Thanks :) although the delay is mostly down to me be lazy and not finishing the artwork yet. The edit is 100% done if people want it early.

lapis molari said:
This thread celebrates it's 5th anniversary this month; proof that @"TM2YC" is not a replicant! :D

5 years? Bloody hell, you're not wrong. I guess I better get this thing released then!
 

ReddinoX

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
67
Reaction score
1
Trophy Points
13
TM2YC said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
ReddinoX said:
any news about this wonderful project? are you still improve it?

The wonderful thing about @"TM2YC" is that if an edit isn't released, you know they're making it better :)

Thanks :) although the delay is mostly down to me be lazy and not finishing the artwork yet. The edit is 100% done if people want it early.
lapis molari said:
This thread celebrates it's 5th anniversary this month; proof that @"TM2YC" is not a replicant! :D

5 years? Bloody hell, you're not wrong. I guess I better get this thing released then!

what did you complete is the alternate cut or the color correction of the final cut? Or at the end you mixed the 2 concepts in one? Sorry but i'm getting confused :huh:
 

TM2YC

Well-known member
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
12,981
Reaction score
275
Trophy Points
198
ReddinoX said:
what did you complete is the alternate cut or the color correction of the final cut? Or at the end you mixed the 2 concepts in one? Sorry but i'm getting confused :huh:

The alternate cut is still in the works, only about 50% done. There is so much material to go through and organise before I can even cut it together. I originally planned to release both at the same time but changed my mind.
 

Trez75

Well-known member
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
11
TM2YC said:
ReddinoX said:
what did you complete is the alternate cut or the color correction of the final cut? Or at the end you mixed the 2 concepts in one? Sorry but i'm getting confused :huh:

The alternate cut is still in the works, only about 50% done. There is so much material to go through and organise before I can even cut it together. I originally planned to release both at the same time but changed my mind.

It gets better and better :) Good luck with the finishing touch.
 

skyled

Well-known member
Messages
201
Reaction score
9
Trophy Points
23
Maybe I missed you explaining this somewhere along the way, but what kind of changes do you have in mind for the Alternate Cut?

Is there any way that Deckard's voice could be lowered using a pitch shifter when he's putting on that lame high pitched voice in Zhora's dressing room?
 

SmellySkunk

Well-known member
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Trophy Points
11
I finally got time to sit down and watch this edit. I tried to leave a Review at IFDB but it doesn't let me log in, do I need a separate Wordpress login?

Until then here is my review.

Five years in the making and totally worth it!

Blade Runner has been one of my favourite films since I first watched it at the Cinema. I then watched it many times on rented VHS, eventually bought the VHS and even bought a Laser disc player in 1994 to watch the  “Director’s Cut” in, what was then, “High quality” (along with Alien)
Then the Final Cut came out. I was excited to see the actual Director’s version as opposed to the Workprint Directors Cut. I remember sitting down for my first watch and thinking “what the hell is going on with the colours!?!” I pulled out my VHS release and sure enough the colours were way off. To me, this was horrible. I did watch it all the way through to see the changes made by Ridley but then I put it on the shelf and have not opened the DVD case ever again.

When I discovered that TM2YC was working on a HQ re-grade to take the Final cut back to the original colours I was very keen to see it, he was already 2 years in when I started following the thread. Each time there was a new post I rushed to see any progress made. It was a labour of love for TM2YC and a couple of times I thought he was going to walk away from it. But, to my joy, it’s done and I have finally had time to watch it.

In regard to the film content, I have nothing to add other than the movie is still one of my favourites, there are a few small differences from the Final Cut but nothing that changes the editorial intentions of the story.

For sound TM2YC has included so many audio options it’s almost overwhelming, but for my first viewing I decided to go with the Theatrical release voice over version as that was how I saw it at the cinema. The audio is perfect and I will be re-watching to check the other audio tracks.

And finally we come to the Video, the main reason I wanted to see this release. The re-grading surpasses all my expectations, the colours are just how I remember them, the Teal is gone and the browns are back.  This is now my go to version.

I am very grateful to TM2YC for the five years of detailed work to complete this and I’m very happy to now have it in my collection.

If you like Blade Runner, watch this edit!
 

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Messages
5,558
Reaction score
238
Trophy Points
113
SmellySkunk said:
I finally got time to sit down and watch this edit. I tried to leave a Review at IFDB but it doesn't let me log in, do I need a separate Wordpress login

I believe many have success by doing one or more of the following: logging out of their account (forums), cleaning cache/cookies, and then signing back in.
 

TM2YC

Well-known member
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
12,981
Reaction score
275
Trophy Points
198
It's about time I got round to finishing writing the cultist (now on ifdb) and completing the coverart.

br_penultimate_3dview1.jpg


br_penultimate_3dview2.jpg


br_penultimate_3dview3.jpg


br_penultimate_3dview4.jpg


I've put a recreation of the 1999 'Director's Cut' DVD cover in there for anybody who wants something more traditional than the other 3.

Who knows, I might do some more covers while I'm at it ;) .
 

Plissken1138

Well-known member
Faneditor
Messages
396
Reaction score
12
Trophy Points
28
As a token of appreciation of wonderful work done here
I'll post this screenshot from 86 TV premiere of Blade Runner.

YwYYcWt.png
 
Top Bottom