• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blade Runner 2049 - Savage Cut

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, the trailer is great, and your change list looks really interesting. 2049 is one of those movies I can watch over and over again, though I've only see one 'edit so far (Problem Eliminator's Vangelis cut). Looking forward to checking this out.

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, the trailer is great, and your change list looks really interesting. 2049 is one of those movies I can watch over and over again, though I've only see one 'edit so far (Problem Eliminator's Vangelis cut). Looking forward to checking this out.
Thank you. There’s been a few more changes to the edit since I posted this. Primarily music related which mostly change the feel of a coupe of scenes 😊

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updates to the project thread.

Change list at the start of the thread is now up to date.

Also added Scene comparison videos to help draw out some of the audio work/changes in the edit and demonstrate how music effects the feel and pace of the scenes.

Last edited:

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you @INIGHTMARES and @futon88 for making the time to leave a review and for your comments, they really are appreciated. It’s interesting, I’m a huge fan of the original Blade Runner but didn’t really enjoy the original release of 2049. This was one of the motives for the edit, setting myself the huge challenging of trying to fix it in my eyes. Also I liked the (sadistic) idea of picking a marmite film for my first fanedit :) I’m a big fan of 2049 now, but I’m biased :D
@futon88 , you mentioned a couple of audio issues. Can you recall where those were?

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@futon88 , you mentioned a couple of audio issues. Can you recall where those were?
Your music addition at 1:21:40 is fantastic, and I didn't even notice (in a good way), but the music cuts out abruptly at 1:22:20. It's subtle, but for about two seconds there is no sound at all, then the background ambiance picks up at 1:22:24'ish. I think the fade could be a touch more gradual (what shape did you use?), but the big thing (for me) would be layering in a couple seconds of simple noise over that section. It helps hide those 0-volume bits where the vocal remover has stripped stuff out (at least it sounds like vocal remover was used).

At 1:30:08, we hear Joi say "Please", but her lips don't move. I'm not sure if the intent was to have her dialog ("Please...Joe, Please") come from the emitter itself, but up to this point the movie has gone to great lengths to teach us that when she's in "visible" form, all sounds come from her projection, right down to her crinkly jacket, so the disembodied voice is noticed in that moment.

Thanks again for putting this together. It's a solid version of a movie I already liked, and that opening scene with Wallace works really well as a prologue.

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your music addition at 1:21:40 is fantastic, and I didn't even notice (in a good way), but the music cuts out abruptly at 1:22:20. It's subtle, but for about two seconds there is no sound at all, then the background ambiance picks up at 1:22:24'ish. I think the fade could be a touch more gradual (what shape did you use?), but the big thing (for me) would be layering in a couple seconds of simple noise over that section. It helps hide those 0-volume bits where the vocal remover has stripped stuff out (at least it sounds like vocal remover was used).

At 1:30:08, we hear Joi say "Please", but her lips don't move. I'm not sure if the intent was to have her dialog ("Please...Joe, Please") come from the emitter itself, but up to this point the movie has gone to great lengths to teach us that when she's in "visible" form, all sounds come from her projection, right down to her crinkly jacket, so the disembodied voice is noticed in that moment.

Thanks again for putting this together. It's a solid version of a movie I already liked, and that opening scene with Wallace works really well as a prologue.

Perfect, I’ll have a look at the 1:22:20 and see if I’ve made a mistake. I don’t have a 5.1 setup at the moment, so I’m relying in mixdown to stereo.

The Joi please without her lips moving is intentional and I felt it added a slightly unnerving moment to remind you Joi isn’t human. But I take your point about why that might not fit and will have a thinking about that scene again.

Thank again for the excellent feedback! I’m glad the prologue has had the desired effect. Think they should have done that in the original release :)

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have addressed this now. I have extended the background sounds up to the transition and it does work better this way :)

Ok so, I've replayed this a few times just to be sure and I quite like the 'please' without Joi's lips moving. This could be interrupted as Joi is purposely speaking from the emitter, almost a moment of self determination before K pushes the transfer button. I think the slightly creepy smile after Joi says please back's this up.

I was looking at the scene you noted on the review where Deckard is captured. The original sequence that features Deckard being taken is very short and I had to slow down some aspects of that sequence and also add Luv in my edit otherwise its just to short a sequence. Its a nice idea to have Luv from afar. Ideally it would be great to have a bit more footage to play with here but I was constrained by what's available.

It really nice that you have noticed so these little things about the edit. You do know the source very well and have a good eye! :)

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Re: Joi, I do like the concept...I'll need to listen to it again, but something that could help to sell it might be to place that line just in the back channels. Might make it sound more external to her projection. In frame, it would seem to come from behind K, while Joi is in front. Could amp up the weirdness in a good way.

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Re: Joi, I do like the concept...I'll need to listen to it again, but something that could help to sell it might be to place that line just in the back channels. Might make it sound more external to her projection. In frame, it would seem to come from behind K, while Joi is in front. Could amp up the weirdness in a good way.
That’s a nice idea! I’ll move hear voice to the rear channels and see what’s it’s like but I think that’s a winner :)

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Joi's voice (first please dialogue ) has been moved to the rear channels. Works really nicely and does add to the weirdness. So that's both audio changes implemented, as suggested by @futon88 :)

Release version incremented to GA1.0 7.3

FrameSniffer

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple of new updates/fixes made to this edit.

1. Improved dialogue quality between Lt Joshi and Officer K, where Joshi dresses down K for failing his Baseline. Originally I used a vocal isolator to remove some background noise that was problematic. This caused both Joshi's and K's voices to sound a little off. I've now used a noise print technique to isolate the background noise and remove it, without effecting Joshi's and K's voices.

2. Brightened video screen footage of Lt Joshi in the Spinner, whilst K is on his way to Sappers farm. Originally the footage of LT Joshi was too dark, mostly because the source was quite shaky and I need to minimise/hide the excessive movement within the video screen. I've now improved the movement and therefore I have brightened up the footage now.

Latest release version is GA1.0.7.4

Last edited:
Top Bottom