• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Black frames

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I rendered a DVD to spot check my Repo Man extended edition and was suprised to find many sections that have black frames. I figured it was a rendering issue but oddly enough the missing frames appear on the vegas timeline and during vegas playback as well.

I followed the same steps I have in the past and havent had this problem.
did I miss something?

I guess the biggest question is, can I fix it without starting over from scratch?

Damn I have bad luck.

Thanks.

*edit*
opened vegas to check and had the black frames present in the timeline. closed it and reopened and they're gone. I guess thats good but whats the deal?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black frames is a problem that troubles Vegas that happens with certain AVI files (when they are directly added to the timeline). This happens with a lot of xvid and divx. This is the entire reason for frameserving. There should be no black frames on a frameserved file.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Black frames is a problem that troubles Vegas that happens with certain AVI files (when they are directly added to the timeline). This happens with a lot of xvid and divx. This is the entire reason for frameserving. There should be no black frames on a frameserved file.

this may not fix your issue, my current fan edit is framserved into vegas from a mpeg source and is riddled with images from different moments in the timeline, if framserveing does not help you then you could do what i am doing, edit most of your movie in womble, if you have transitions or video editing you cant do in womble do it in vegas, then render only that edited section, place the edited section in womble and join the file
\
my method can be tricky and time consuming so lets hope framserving works for you:)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ilubu, most of your problem here is that you are using mpg video. Vegas does not handle mpg video well, even when frameserving. Its best to use an AVI for editing, for almost all editing software.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
ilubu, most of your problem here is that you are using mpg video. Vegas does not handle mpg video well, even when frameserving. Its best to use an AVI for editing, for almost all editing software.

sadly my compuer doesnt have enough space to be editing raw AVI, I have to work with what i have and since he/she didnt specifiy the format they was working with i gave advice for my situation :( which is very sad

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr-

1. I guess I am not frameserving IN correctly then :x
If I follow all the steps (from your tutorial) and open the signpost the video file loads into vegas quickly. Is that correct or does it take a while like frameserving out does? once frameserved in do you have a new complete video file altogether?

2. can you frameserve more than one file in? I had the film as one file and the deleted scenes as a second file and could only get one or the other to open properly.

Ilubu said:
sadly my compuer doesnt have enough space to be editing raw AVI,
Maybe I am way off base here but If you have the space to work w/ mpg you should have the space to work w/ avi.
Convert the mpg to avi and just delete the mpg after you convert and you shoulnt be taking up any more space. unless you dont have enough space to have both the mpg and the avi on the HDD at the same time. but if thats the case how would you have enough space to render out?

thanks for the reply's!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
1. I guess I am not frameserving IN correctly then :x
If I follow all the steps (from your tutorial) and open the signpost the video file loads into vegas quickly. Is that correct or does it take a while like frameserving out does? once frameserved in do you have a new complete video file altogether?

seems like you are doing it correctly. video should load into vegas fast.

elbarto1 said:
2. can you frameserve more than one file in? I had the film as one file and the deleted scenes as a second file and could only get one or the other to open properly.

you can frameserve as many files as you need. just open another instance of vdub and VFAPI

elbarto1 said:
Ilubu said:
sadly my compuer doesnt have enough space to be editing raw AVI,
Maybe I am way off base here but If you have the space to work w/ mpg you should have the space to work w/ avi.
Convert the mpg to avi and just delete the mpg after you convert and you shoulnt be taking up any more space. unless you dont have enough space to have both the mpg and the avi on the HDD at the same time. but if thats the case how would you have enough space to render out?

lol, you are way off base. Lets use a DVD movie for example. ~4.3GB for mpg (the original source). To convert to an XVID (depending on settings) would be between 700MB and 2GB. An Uncompressed AVI (no compression or loss of quality from DVD) would require several hundred GB depending on the lossless codec used. Lagarith seems to give the smallest file sizes.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
you can frameserve as many files as you need. just open another instance of vdub and VFAPI
sounds like thats where the problem lies.
ThrowgnCpr said:
lol, you are way off base. Lets use a DVD movie for example. ~4.3GB for mpg (the original source). To convert to an XVID (depending on settings) would be between 700MB and 2GB. An Uncompressed AVI (no compression or loss of quality from DVD) would require several hundred GB depending on the lossless codec used. Lagarith seems to give the smallest file sizes.

I figured I had it all jibbered :razz: but can you explain what am I doing to the mpg when I convert it to avi with AutoGK and it has a size of 1.3GB? and why Ilubu cant do that.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ilubu can do that. just seems ilubu chooses not to.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
ilubu can do that. just seems ilubu chooses not to.

very true, I would rather not send my file through so many conversion processes, the video im working on already has a low budget grainy look to it and I love it for that, but 3 conversion processes later who knows what it will look like. If i had the space to convert to DV avi then i would but I will not edit from a Divx or xvid source..

Top Bottom