• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Billy Batson's The Hobbit

Billy Batson said:
Unfortunately, I don't have headphones or external speakers on my PC

What do you mean you don't have headphones?  Even the cheapest $5 ear buds are better than no headphones.

Yeah, I should get something. Audio editing has been a real pain. Since the volume on my internal speakers is so low, I usually need to render an edit and then watch it on my TV, which plays the sound through my stereo system, and take notes of where the audio problems are. Then I go back to the computer and try and fix them, then render the edit again so I can listen through my stereo to see if the fixes worked. It's really annoying and time consuming. 

Headphones would be the simple answer, but I'm a master procrastinator.

:blush:

Honestly, even if you had external speakers, you should still be using headphones.  You can catch so many more problems that way.

Well, that may well be the impeteous I need to head over to Amazon and find a likely pair. Thanks.

Well, I broke down and ordered a set of headphones from Amazon. I expect them tomorrow. Now all I have to do is check the sound on 225 edit points.  :rolleyes:

In the meantime, here's my cut of the search for the hidden door into Erebor. The password is smaug

Any suggestions or comments, good, bad, or indifferent, would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Billy Batson

Billy, from this scene you could even get rid of the sundown and the bird pecking.

It brings up questions, where did the bird come from? (yes, we saw it at the bottom, but not up here.) Why was Thorin still not next the door. If he makes his speech and the next thing he pulls out the key, that feels a better transition.

Hmmm. I'll have to give this one some thought.

We've been hearing about "the last light of Durin's Day" throughout the movie up to now, so it seems a bit of a shame not to actually see it (i.e. the sunset). And the moon letters that Elrond read on the map say "Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole," so I'd hate to lose the thrush knocking. 

The cut to the setting sun and Bilbo's reaction to the offscreen knocking seem to give time enough between Thorin standing near the wall and the shot of the thrush knocking to understand that he's moved in the meantime. And you'd pretty much have the same problem if I cut the shot of the sun, Bilbo's reaction and the thrush. Then we'd have a shot of Thorin by the wall, cut to the lighting of the keyhole, and then Thorin back standing by the other dwarves.  Thorin's moving around a bit off screen in either event.

Nearly done with this one, I think. Here's the cover I came up with:

Cover1_1.jpg

I just need to run it by a couple more friends to see how they react to it.

Thread moved as this is now complete and will be released at the weekend. Congrats on finishing.

TM2YC said:
Thread moved as this is now complete and will be released at the weekend. Congrats on finishing.

Thanks, I'm really quite excited by it. The edit turned out better than I had hoped. Although still 4 hrs. long, the edit's pace is pretty fast moving and the story line adheres pretty closely to that of the book. Keeping in mind that The Hobbit was meant as a children's story, I've kept things pretty light and have included the extra songs from the extended versions. Those who would prefer a more somber LOTR-type story may not enjoy it, but those who like the original source material will hopefully find it to be a fun alternate version of the film.

As will be acknowledged in the posting on IFDB, I owe much to Spence, DrFontane, and revel911. I sincerely appreciate their ideas and assistance.

BB

Billy, anything different from the last edit I viewed? I really am excited,a s so far this has been the best version of the Hobbit I have seen.

revel911 said:
Billy, anything different from the last edit I viewed? I really am excited,a s so far this has been the best version of the Hobbit I have seen.

I cleaned up a few more audio problems since the last version you saw. And again, many thanks for your thoughtful input. I really appreciate it.

Mate, where can I download your version? The Smaug scene looks perfect!

If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

I know that a fair number of memebers have had the opportunity to see this edit, though they may not have yet found the time to watch it (4 hours is asking for quite a time commitment, I know), but I do hope that any who have seen the final cut can take a few minutes to review it or at least leave a comment or two here. Good, bad, or indifferent, I'd really like some feedback. Not that I'm feeling desperate or anything. 

:-/

BB

Many thanks to those of you who have seen my edit and voted for it as the fan edit of the month. It is greatly appreciated. So far, the cut has received one pretty positive review, but I most appreciate that reviewer's comments about the audio issues he noticed. I have a bit of a tin ear so it really helps me to know where I need improvement. 

As I mentioned before, I know from the requests that a number of members on this board have at least had the chance to take a look at the cut, so it would really help my growth as a fan editor if you could specify any particular sections that you think might need additional work. Even if you don't feel like posting a complete review, a comment here giving the time stamp for any particular problems you might have noticed would really help me to narrow down any issues that might need addressing. I'd really appreciate it. 

BB

Back
Top Bottom