• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Big Trouble in Little China: Fully Engorged Edition

its an ntsc conversion rather than an update and its ready i just have to get the discs out to boon and avp, been a bit slack this week due to various things.

Well, still an update to the previous version, but I understand what you are saying. Can't wait to see it again. Is Boon going to put it on RapidShare?

yep. Definitely.

sorry its taking so long to get out the door guys. i promise it wont be very long now.

yeah phaota just me being overly anal :)

I fully appreciate the work you put into this and I really do like your disc and love this film, but a few things I do not get.

Ok I got a hold of this from a torrent (piratebay) and I have the sync issue that has been reported here (pal ver). I also noticed you updated the version so I have no idea if the torrent reflects this or not?

If the cut/deleted footage came from the supplements disc (in the US the first pressing was a two disc limited edition that had a ton of this footage), why are you going nuts with all this re-encoding? All you have to do is use something like tmpg/ Canopus pro encoder and encode the deleted scenes to 16x9 to match the source disc, use womble's mpeg2vcr to neatly edit them back into the film and you are done. No need for lenghty re-encoding and this will more or less cancel any sync issue you might have had

I know this sounds more like I am ranting/ragging on you, but I am not doing that at all, I am just very curious about the method used and why.

He is doing a lot of editing on them as well, not just reintegrating them directly. Am I right on this nOmArch?

tranzor i think it would help if you read this entire thread that would answer the questions for you as i've pretty much documented my methods and any problems i've had fairly thoroughly :)

the deleted scenes came in two flavours on disc 2.

Workprint: good quality but not up to DVD standard, a lot of the sound fx was missing and only about half to three quarters of the scenes were intact

Betamax Transfer: horrible video quality but completely intact video and sound fx.

obviously i wanted to use as little of the beta footage as possible so i had to edit together the two different versions of the scenes to come up with an amalgamation which contained the best quality video/audio as possible.

after that the scenes needed to be deinterlaced (which is something i skipped on the original PAL version and caused me no end of problems with the conversion)

then of course bung them back into the main movie and add back any sound effects and then do all the usual stuff like syncing up the music applying fades etc. etc.

as long as you dont use any of the transitions or effects in womble it doesn't reencode anything just joins it all together into one movie based on the edits that have been made.

on the other hand if you are referring to the multi pass encoding that is because a VBR multi pass will always yield better results a CBR single pass. i want my edits to look and good as possible so im happy to deal with the slight extra inconvevience.

Version 2 (NTSC) is done but hasn't been torrented yet.

anyway hope that answers your questions :)

Hey nOmArch

I did read the pages but I am still a little confused. Ok when I was reading it (and seeing some of the apps used), it came across to me as that all the needed footage was obviously on the dvd. You ripped this and then it seems that you converted it over to avi and then reconverted the whole film and extra scenes back over to mpeg for authoring.

IF this was the case I do not understand why you did this? Its like you did a number of uneeded extra steps. Pretty much since it was from a dvd rip all the footage was already done for you. Being that this footage was already digitized and no longer from an analog/film source their is only so much you can really do to improve the picture. At the most all you really
had to do was re-encode the needed extra scenes to match the dvds ratio. Use womble (in my case I would suggest womble mpeg2vcr, hate the wizard version) and that would edit your clips in seconds, and then obviously use sound forge or what ever app you like and fix the sound. Doing a simplier method like this would also fix the sync issue that you ran into with the PAL version as well as not needing to de-interlace anything

Well regardless, as I did say before (previous post) I respect and appreciate your effort. I love the film and I loved what you did with it and I cannot wait to snag an ntsc version. I do want to ask though if the sync issue appears in that one as well?

nOmArch, how far away are you on the release of this updated version?

tranzor said:
Hey nOmArch

I did read the pages but I am still a little confused. Ok when I was reading it (and seeing some of the apps used), it came across to me as that all the needed footage was obviously on the dvd. You ripped this and then it seems that you converted it over to avi and then reconverted the whole film and extra scenes back over to mpeg for authoring.

Avi????? what on earth are you going on about? movie ripped from dvd using dvd decrypt files then dropped directly into Womble and edited from there.

i think you're getting comfused by the frameserving discussion we were having. AVISynth is a frameserver that is bundled with Gordian Knot and i prefer to use the frameserver incorporated with VDub.

im afraid all the steps i went through were necessary believe me. deinterlacing had to be done as the deleted scenes were INTERLACED and the main movie wasn't. just because you have some video on a DVD does not mean that it will be the same as the main movie. in my experience deleted/extended scenes vary greatly in quality, aspect ratio and source format, have a read of ADM's mepg editing guide, that should set you straight.

why you keep pushing mpegvcr is beyond me, considering mpeg dvd wizard superseded it and has more options and offers greater scope for editing. personally i cant do without AC3 encoding and a few other bits and bobs that mpegvcr simply cant do..

no sync issues in the NTSC version.

I use womble strictly for editing/joining clips. I tried previous versions of the wizard and I did not like it at all. Their was not much in that, that I could not already do with other apps I have. Ac3 is usually already done before hand (sonic foundry or ulead dvd workshop 2 ), so that is never an issue either

I am a bit more curious now and I want to check out that two disc set. I have not watched mine in a very long time (ntsc two disc set) and check some stats on the interlace issue. Pretty much you are saying the film is progressive and the deleted scenes are interlaced.

looking forward to the ntsc version

What's happening with the edit? Haven't heard anything about for awhile, so just checking in.

damn! you really want to see this dont you :)

im not amazingly happy with the menu info screens, like an idiot i used some textures that really clash with the text, also if you go to a scene selection menu and then try to exit back to the main menu it sends you to the fanedit warning screen.

pretty simple to correct but i dont have the project files anymore, just the final dvd. so just fixing these 2 very minor issues is going to take a lot of work and to be honest i cant be bothered. the movie is great and the menus do work so im going to burn it onto a disc in a day or so and finally get it out to Boon and AvP.

sorry this release has been a bit british rail.

actually if you used dvdremakepro, you can fix your linking issue within a matter of seconds.

Hell I can even fix this for you once I get a hold of your ntsc disc and send you over the modified files you would have to replace on your disc

DVDRemakePro is awesome software.

It allowed me to rebuild my Little Mermaid edit into a rip of the Platinum.
I changed a few menus that didn't apply, stripped the ads, and Disney fastplay still works.

Like I said, great software, the only limitation is your understanding of DVDs.

well its good news that it can be fixed so easily, bad news that theres yet another piece of software now on my list...

Back
Top Bottom