• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best vocal isolation method?

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone, I'm ThatGuyWhoEdits, long term lurker & first time joining. So, I've done my fair share of audio editing in Adobe Audition as that's my go to in extract vocals however with that said is there by any chance a better solution in getting cleaner vocals without the original BG music bleeding through after isolation? I ask cause I've seen many edits that have completely removed the original BG music like certain star wars edits & I want to accomplish that style.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone, I'm ThatGuyWhoEdits, long term lurker & first time joining. So, I've done my fair share of audio editing in Adobe Audition as that's my go to in extract vocals however with that said is there by any chance a better solution in getting cleaner vocals without the original BG music bleeding through after isolation? I ask cause I've seen many edits that have completely removed the original BG music like certain star wars edits & I want to accomplish that style.
Are you using the surround audio? If not it may be difficult to do so. However I'm no expert

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're lucky, the center channel with have isolated dialogue. If not, and you have the soundtrack, you can sync the song to the movie audio and then use an inverse waveform of the music to cancel out the music from the movie. That only works if the soundtrack isn't faded in and out of the actual movie, though.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...you can sync the song to the movie audio and then use an inverse waveform of the music to cancel out the music from the movie. That only works if the soundtrack isn't faded in and out of the actual movie, though.

<mind blown>

I know what I'm trying later.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a big topic and not all methods have been discussed. Inverting is the method with the cleanest result but if also the most difficult to do, as the inverted waveform you create must be identical to the theatrical music, same volume, same fades, same recording and same mastering (remastered music won't be mixed the same and won't invert cleanly).

Anyway, check this thread, especially the last five to ten pages, I went over a lot of the methods a few years ago, and since then there are new AI tools that are easy and have pretty good results usually. All the recommendations are in the big thread :

Top Bottom