• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

Ka Kahn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like Hal9000's versions the best. They're not perfect, but they're the closest to what I'd want to see out of a really good prequel edit.

I've been playing around with editing AOTC a little bit, and the one thing every edit I've seen so far has missed out on is cutting out the few throwaway lines throughout the movie that make Anakin particularly whiny or lovesick. Don't have Obi-Wan reprimand Anakin quite so obviously in Padme's apartment, have the scene when Padme's packing end with her telling Anakin he's grown up, etc. With those types of cuts, I feel like we'd still get the general idea that Obi-Wan and Anakin aren't exactly on the same page, but Anakin feels far less petulant.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
iridium_ionizer said:
In making a kid-friendly edit of Episode III, I wonder if someone could use stock footage or a bit of CGI skills to make Anakin have a Disney Villain Death via a splash of lava and puff of smoke right after Anakin's legs get severed. Sure it wouldn't be as dramatic, but you might be able to retain a few of Obi-wan's lines to Anakin that he is just shouting into the void.

When I made an (unfinished) attempt at Ep. III a while back, here's what I did:

Anakin jumps, and Obi-Wan chops off his legs.

I then took the footage of Anakin's metal hand clawing its way up the hill and played it backwards, so that it looked like he was losing his grip and sliding into the lava.

Then Obi-Wan grabs the lightsaber and walks away without saying anything. We lose the speechifying, but Obi-Wan's grief-filled expressions are pretty plain in the next few scenes. And this way, Obi-Wan doesn't leave Anakin just burning alive on a hillside.

I never got far enough to do a test that people here could watch, but if someone wanted to try that idea, they could.

I am really interested in see your end to EpIII

Sergio1992

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Couldn't anyone remake Kerr's version in high quality? I see it nominated a lot but when I watched it I was left speechless by the quality of the video.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sergio1992 said:
Couldn't anyone remake Kerr's version in high quality? I see it nominated a lot but when I watched it I was left speechless by the quality of the video.

Probably.  What are you doing this weekend?

WingMantis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
TomH1138 said:
I then took the footage of Anakin's metal hand clawing its way up the hill and played it backwards, so that it looked like he was losing his grip and sliding into the lava.

This is intriguing. It almost implies that Anakin dies. This plus a remove of Padme having twins could preserve the Darth reveal.

This would amplify Obi Wan's lie about Darth Vader killing Luke's father as well. And it might justify Vader's appearance in Rogue One.

Perhaps the Vader footage at the end of Ep III could be re-purposed as an introduction to Palpatine's new apprentice. Further implying that Anakin died.

This could actually make all the Star Wars movies watchable in order!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
WingMantis said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
TomH1138 said:

This is intriguing. It almost implies that Anakin dies. This plus a remove of Padme having twins could preserve the Darth reveal.

This would amplify Obi Wan's lie about Darth Vader killing Luke's father as well. And it might justify Vader's appearance in Rogue One.

Perhaps the Vader footage at the end of Ep III could be re-purposed as an introduction to Palpatine's new apprentice. Further implying that Anakin died.

Almost.  The Yoda reveal of ESB is still spoiled by his presence in the prequels. I don't think it's fixable.

WingMantis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
WingMantis said:
TomH1138 said:

Almost.  The Yoda reveal of ESB is still spoiled by his presence in the prequels. I don't think it's fixable.

It would certainly change the audiences' experience. Maybe not in a bad way. It wouldn't be a reveal for people watching the saga for the first time. But it would become even funnier that Luke doesn't realize this is Yoda. Yoda's admonitions when Luke doubts he is a Jedi Master would be a part of the audience.

Is there something else I don't remember from the prequels that really ruins the idea?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aside from the prequel films themselves not being very good to start with, many details spoken aloud don't match up.
Examples: a thousand years vs a thousand generations,  Leia's mother being alive, Luke's uncle acting like he was along for the ride and actually knew Obi Wan and Anakin, Han demonstrating that common people don't even believe the force exists anymore even though very recently the were thousands of jedi and they were everywhere the clone troopers were. Etc.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Luke's uncle acting like he was along for the ride and actually knew Obi Wan and Anakin,

Well, for all the problems of the prequels, THAT sort of works, IMO.

In ANH, even Luke knows there's an "old Ben" living not far.
Owen just does not want to tell Luke who Ben really is (or was, since he sounds like he didn't see Obi Wan for a long time. Or maybe he's just lying).
Owen knows Anakin. The lines "Too much of his father in him"/"That's what I'm afraid of" fits perfectly.
We can assume Obi-Wan told Beru and Owen about Anakin/Vader when he asked them to take care of Luke.
And even at the end of Episode III, Owen seems less "along for the ride" as Beru. Because she is the one who go and take Luke. Owen stands aside. Like if he's not really okay with all this but agrees because of Beru.

slyfoxfe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have recently discovered the world of FanEdits. I am amazed to see several excellent OT FanEdits. With FanEdits in mind, I thought that I can re-watch and maybe even like the prequel trilogy again. However, there are so many different edits of the prequel trilogy. For those of you who have seen a few, which ones do you recommend the most?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome to the wonderous world of fanedits!

There are many flavors of prequel edit, since the craft was basically born from editing prequels and there are now more edits of them than you can probably even know, counting unreleased and those released elsewhere. I would recommend a few based on category, with a brief description. All of this is IMO, I don't speak for the editors, and I have by no means seen every edit.

Comedy: The Ridiculous Trilogy by TV's Frink
Rather than make the movies work better, Frink makes them more ridiculous. Two episodes are finished and Episode 3 is probably nearly done, but I'm no authority on the subject.

Classic fan fix: L8WRTR's Prequel Trilogy
This series of edits are oldies but goodies, they focus on making the movies watchable and mostly succeed. Intended for watching in release order, after the original trilogy.

Medium boldness: Fall off the Jedi Trilogy by Q2
This series of edits takes some different direction, mostly trying to preserve the reveals of Vader and his lineage rather than spoil it. As a result, it's intended to be watched in chronological order, before the original trilogy.

Middle ground: Hal9000's Prequel Trilogy
I haven't seen these personally but he has a lot of fans and his edits basically took what he thought of as the best elements of many other edits and combined them into one series. I assume there are other original ideas too but from what I remember the appeal was the cherry picking mix and the advantage of being a newer edit, able to stand on the shoulders of those that came before. This is not a knock, just a fact. I'm not here to debate whether hindsight allows for a better edit or the arguable merit of being "first". A lot of people have said this is their favorite.

New/Radical changes: The Ancient Lore (currently just episode 1) by Andreas
This edit just got released and had some really bold changes and choices, lots of repurposed and rebuilt scenes, and attempts to change the narrative some. I haven't seen it yet but it's a series to look out for and an editor to follow.

Upcoming: Jedi's Apprentice by Cathy Baker Fulcher
Some stuff ranging from mild or common changes to new bold ideas, this edit isn't complete yet but the editor has been doing editor diary entries on YouTube in lieu of more traditional simple preview clips, and they've been entertaining enough but also an enlightening look into the hobby of fanediting. Another editor to follow.

YouTube only, not released here: Fall of the Jedi, a 3 in 1 edit that re-scores with synthwave music, similar to the movie Drive. Makes the whole thing feel very different. Some rough spots, as I said it was never released here.

There are many others but these come to mind and stand out at the moment.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adding to the above, for me the only way I can stomach the prequels at all is a 3-in-1 edit. Really a 2-in-1 as my ideal edit doesn’t include TPM. Honestly with heavy edits I think TPM is the best of the three but it’s really completely superfluous to the trilogy narratively speaking. The 2-in-1 edit I have is a little over two hours. There just isn’t much story in the prequels and I find much of the action to lack impact due to  feeling overly choreographed and/or animated. But even that isn’t enough to save it from the bad acting and other fundamental flaws.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For 3 in 1 edits-
Blackened Mantle - told in a nonlinear format switching between all 3, dubbed in Japanese with new subtitles.
Neon Noir - Compared to the movie Drive, I'm not sure how else to describe it. Focus on the Noir aspect of 2.
Both are on YouTube. 

For individual edits, definitely Ancient Lore by Andreas, as Addiesin said.
Haven't seen many others. I watched the Anti Cheese edits on YouTube  but it was mainly in the background.
I honestly have been curious of this question as well.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged.

I have a workprint finished for my EP3 edit and have received feedback from several people.  Long way from "almost finished" however.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Threads merged.

I have a workprint finished for my EP3 edit and have received feedback from several people.  Long way from "almost finished" however.

Far more done than "I haven't started yet", though!

Like maybe it'll be one more year instead of like five.

slyfoxfe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for your responses. I will be looking into Hal9000's Prequel Trilogy

SpectacularSMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
slyfoxfe said:
Thank you for your responses. I will be looking into Hal9000's Prequel Trilogy

Can confirm that these are worth a watch. They are my personal favorites and the definitive versions of those films to me. Almost nothing in all 3 of them feels like a "I can tell this is a fanedit" moment, and I regularly have watched them to the point I remember them as legit more than my blu rays of the actual movies. There is also a commentary track for each of the 3 where Hal9000 talks about his motivations, and that is a lot of fun to listen to. Great audio/visual quality, seamless edits, and a very realistic and not choppy pace. I love those ones.  :)

x4103x

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does a fan edit exist of TPM that keeps the main movie in tact but simply removes all of the cheesy dialogue & one liners & makes Anakin & Jar Jar more bearable ?  The same with the annoying stuff of Attack Of The Clones ?

Masirimso17

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Random said:
Does a fan edit exist of TPM that keeps the main movie in tact but simply removes all of the cheesy dialogue & one liners & makes Anakin & Jar Jar more bearable ?  The same with the annoying stuff of Attack Of The Clones ?

Most edits of the Prequels are exactly like that. For TPM, the Seciors, L8wrtr, Hal9000 and Q2 edits are pretty popular. Might be missing important ones but these are the ones that came to my mind.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso’s right.  Otherwise, if you’re looking for softer edits then “The Phantom Menace - Faster, More Intense” and “Attack of the Clones - Sanded Down” by @"octoroxx" may be your cup of tea. They are somewhat of a best-of compilations of edits of the prequels, and brings down the runtime considerably!  They have beautiful covers too!  @"Random"

Top Bottom