• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't even done a cutlist for my own prequel edits! There's only so much pain a person can take! :D

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I guess you don't want to take over for me? ;)

soufihadi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to watch fanedits of the Star Wars prequels, but since there are literally over a hundred of them, I am left lost and confused. I intend to watch Adywans edits when he gets around to making them, but since he's not even planning on being done with RotJ Revisted until 2016-18, I figured I'd ask you all what in your opinion is the best edit for each of the 3 prequel trilogy movies.

Also, apologies in advance if this is a really common post, I'm pretty new here.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's personal choice of course, depending on what story beats are most important to you, but L8wrtr's trilogy is my go to.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What njvc said. To me, the most basic thing you need to decide is whether you need each chapter to be around two hours. L8wrtr's adhere to that and I just don't think enough is cut. I prefer the deep edits of these movies even if they end up closer to a TV episode in length. IMO there's just not enough there to justify six hours. That said, I'm not even sure of the versions I have without checking because I never watch them. So far, for me, the PT is beyond saving.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
because the PT is ridiculous, i'd recommend going with ridiculouser:

the frink edits.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another vote for L8 for ep 2 and 3 - but I would take Secior's Episode 1. It is amazingly good.
(I haven't seen HAL's versions yet).

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How about we take everything from every cut list Frink has collected and cut out all of that from the prequels? Think we'd end up with anything over 20 mins runtime? :p

Hear hear for L8wrtr his prequels. Haven't seen [MENTION=9560]seciors[/MENTION] his cut yet but do have it.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
because the PT is ridiculous, i'd recommend going with ridiculouser:

the frink edits.

YES! They may be spoofs, but they're by far the best way to watch them in my book.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr's versions would be a pretty solid choice, with a mass of consensus behind them that cement them in place as many people's adopted versions. I consider L8wrtr's versions to be roughly the full realization of the Phantom Editor's philosophy that got this whole ball rolling to begin with.
Q2's edits contain systemic deeper cuts, which IMHO weaken the films overall (even as I agree that what was cut often deserved to be cut). For example, in his version of Episode I R2-D2 flys into battle and destroys the ship on his own, while Anakin stays on the ground. To me, that's a bit farfetched from a storytelling point of view. However, Q2's versions are good choices if you want prequel edits that set out to function as someone's first introduction into Star Wars in chronological order, attempting not to ruin plot surprises in the OT.
Seciors is working on the PT as a whole, though the only HD release so far is Episode I. His edit works very well as a first-time-viewer's introduction to Star Wars in chronological order, moreso that Q2. For example, he does not depict Sidious directly, contriving it into a surprise reveal later. His versions, therefore in my mind, do not work as well as others if the audience is already familiar with the OT. As said above, watching Seciors' Episode I and L8wrtr's Episodes II and III would be sensible, if you like.
And of course, there's my own prequel trilogy edits too. I have said before that I felt like more of a curator than an editor at times, since there were so many edits already extant. My philosophy, like L8wrtr above, is that the prequels are prequels, and one should have seen the OT beforehand.

So, my recommendation would be to check out either L8wrtr's edits or my edits if you prefer to see the OT before the PT, or to check out Seciors and/or Q2's edits if you prefer the films chronologically. (Though I don't think you could comfortably mix and match between Seciors and Q2 because Q2's edits pretend that R2 and 3PO are different droids.)

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
But seciors is tackling the PT as a whole, so if he does not reveal Sidious at first (that robe isn't fooling anyone Palps!) then that will surely come full circle in his Ep3 edit? :) That would serve as a good introduction for someone new to Star Wars. That way the reveal lasts all the way up to Ep3. If [MENTION=9560]seciors[/MENTION] were to keep the identity of Anakin a secret as well, and then do the OT as well, you'd have the perfect spoiler-free six-film space opera saga :)

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I agree his eventual PT set would be an ideal choice if you're after something to show a first time viewer in chronological order.

soufihadi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally I'd prefer to be able to watch the Star Wars movies in chronological order, which is one of the reasons I was looking forward to Adywan's edits. Is secior the only one who's done the Prequels in this manner?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
But adywan isn't changing anything major plot-related if I'm not mistaken, adywan's edits are more about fixing continuity errors, matte problems, green screen related problems, costume or landscape errors and such works. I doubt he's actually changing the plot much like we do. At least not for the OT. The PT is an entirely different matter so far I've heard. Might as well call that Adywars The Adywan Edit, Attack of Adywan and Revenge of Adywan. He's going to redo the whole thing. Best have Disney pay him instead of GL.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome, Neglify! He does some cool things with Dooku in II. I'm looking forward to see how he pulls III off.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
But adywan isn't changing anything major plot-related if I'm not mistaken, adywan's edits are more about fixing continuity errors, matte problems, green screen related problems, costume or landscape errors and such works. I doubt he's actually changing the plot much like we do. At least not for the OT. The PT is an entirely different matter so far I've heard. Might as well call that Adywars The Adywan Edit, Attack of Adywan and Revenge of Adywan. He's going to redo the whole thing. Best have Disney pay him instead of GL.

What is this in response to? This thread is about the PT.

Top Bottom