• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, got it. You're amazing, The Phantom Edit is the only good fanedit ever and the rest of us can only dream of being so great since editing is not in our genetic coding.

Can we move on now?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mojo_LA said:
The Phatom Editor's EpII recut "Attack of the Phantom" is a fan edit masterpiece. Still the best i've seen. Plus it has a really entertaining commentary track!

They may have been "masterpieces" at the time, but considering what has come out since they are subpar at best.

Also keep in mind that The Phatom is a "real" editor who has been working in Hollywood for many years. He's a true pro and is one of those handfull of artists out there that seem born to do what they do.

I also take issue with "real editor". While I may not be blessed as an elitist who works in Hollywood on feature films, I do work as a professional editor. I'd rather you not make inaccurate statements.

Unfortunately, the desire to be an editor isn't going to be enough for most people to become one, simply because they weren't blessed with that 6th sense (which is why 90% of the edits here are ok but not great).

Your attitude here is starting to become tiresome. If you don't like the edits here why bother participating? All that seems to come out of your mouth is "Phantom Editor is awesome, everyone else is just mediocre at best". Well you know what? There are some terrific edits here, and some outstanding editors.

Basically, check your attitude at the door or be on your way.

Mojo_LA

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm becoming tiresome? I haven't posted in like two years! Can't I be a jerk at least a few more times before I have grown tiresome?

Anyway, my post wasn't intended as an insult to anyone but it sure sounds like it was taken that way. It was borne out of me watching a LOT of fan edits because their reviews were excellent, and then they all turn out to be very similar to each other. And i've learned its impossible to go by reviews here since 9 times out of ten all everyone does is tell each other how great the edit was. Constructive criticism or downright negative reviews are few and far between.

Yet what are the odds that 90% of the edits here are truly great? So sue me for having an opinion and not back scratching. The thread is about what you favorite Star Wars edit was and so I gave my answer and went into detail about WHY. Sorry if I'm not your average 15 year old YouTube commenter and leave stuff like "love them all, LOL."

You guys are the ones giving me heavy attitude for expressing an opinion.

Why am I here? Because I want to find some good edits! I was curious what the gang was up to. I'm optimistic.

Of course, in order to find any good edits around here they have to actually be POSTED somewhere. So far 80% of the edits i've been looking for have dead links and i've gotten zero responses to PMs in which I kindly expressed interest in seeing their edit but it seems to be gone.

What's the point of all of you spending so much time and working your balls off to make these edits and then 6 months after they come out and the inital excitement has worn down they become impossible to find??

In all seriousness the ones who run this place should put their heads together and come up with a real solution to the unavailability of such a high percentage of edits. I know that if I spent a month of all my spare time making a cut I'd make damn sure people could see it!

Anyway, i'm coming from a supportive place and if my comment rubbed anyone the wrong way that was really not my intention. What can I tell you? Yes, Phantom's Ep 2 is what got me excited about fan edits in the first place, so I am very eager to find more that fix some of these films as well as his did.

I just wish I could FIND them!!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mojo_LA said:
In all seriousness the ones who run this place should put their heads together and come up with a real solution to the unavailability of such a high percentage of edits. I know that if I spent a month of all my spare time making a cut I'd make damn sure people could see it!

The only way for offline edits to become available again is for community members to re-upload them. Putting our heads together will result in "Well, nothing we can do about it really until people re-upload them." I agree it sucks a lot of fanedits aren't currently available. But that's why we have the Trades and Requests section. There were a handful of old edits I thought I'd never get to see (here) but lo and behold, I got a hold of a good amount of them. Now sure, I have those edits (and a whole lot of others one) and I could re-upload them all but that's very time intensive and despite what it seems, I do have things to do in life and I can't just upload upload upload 24/7.

Tying this back to the topic, the vast majority of Star Wars edits are offline, but you never know what you can find if you ask nicely in the right place.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saying the Phantom Editor is great is probably the least productive post you can make on this site. It's less productive than me and frink arguing about nothing.

Everyone knows they are great, I mean realistically those edits are why this site exists.

Have you watched l8wrtr's or q2's ep2 edits? Have you watched a modern EP2 edit? What is the purpose of posting that the original edits are the gold standard? In other news, water is wet.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, Phantom Edit & sequel were great for their time. But they've been utterly surpassed now by the edits on this site. Some of the older edits and some ambitious edits can be, because of limitations, shonky. But most edits I've seen have been Hollywood class. Guys work for MONTHS, even YEARS, not weeks, on these things.
Some of the work here has blown me away. L8wrtr's Star Wars edits, for example. Kerr's LOTR. And then you get War of the Stars. I mean, WOW!!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't realize at first that this thread had been started such a long time ago. I just saw the newest comments and didn't notice when the original posts were made!

Would people still pick the same edits as being the best, or would they go with different ones now? It's been over a year since the thread was started, and I'm sure there have been more prequel edits released since then.

Of course, all of the editors who put in such time and effort should be congratulated. But I need to expand my knowledge of prequel fan editing, and it can be a tad overwhelming going to the Database and seeing so many different prequel edits, most of which have really good ratings, so one doesn't seem to be significantly better than the other.

Off the top of my head, here's what I've seen so far (not counting parodies): the original Phantom Edit, the Phantom Re-Edit, Ep. II Super 8 Version, and L8's trilogy. There are probably other Ep. I edits I've seen, but I'll have to look them up later.

Which other edits should I see, particularly for Eps. II and III, to be a well-rounded prequel fan edit viewer?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JasonN and Q2

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
JasonN and Q2
Nice to see that I'm still remembered by some of the old guard of the site. :p

herowoac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One edit Starwars edit that should not be forgotten is Slumberlands edit of EP II,
it's really an amazing edit. It keeps more cheese then most of them,
but the restructuring of the storyline, especially the romance, is just perfect.
No other edit I've seen has done it nearly as well.

Up until the droid factory that is...(hrm, maybe someone should combine the slumberland edit up until the droid factory with say Spences edit of EP II after that point. wonder who would be crazy enough to try something like that...)

I still think the JasonNs edit of EP I is truely inspired too, in some ways better than SOTS, which is otherwise my favourite EP I edit, wish I could combine the best of both of them somehow....

EDIT: Hey JasonN by the way, I'm still waiting patiently for you to finish your Avatar edit. I'd love to see that one once it's done.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1 on Slumberland's handling of the AOTC "romance."

Also should mention Kerr's Sidious reveal in ROTS. Amazing.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
More good things to keep in mind. Thanks, folks!

Fansome

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer The Phantom Editor's takes on the first two films in the trilogy since they mostly lop off stuff that helps tighten the pace or strengthen characterizations whereas I've seen a few that just kind of cut out everything they didn't like.

Magnoliafan's take on TPM is also highly recommended. The subtitled dialogue for the CG characters makes the film a hell of a lot darker and it's pretty surprising to see how it all works pretty well alongside everything else (having the Gungans mad at the humans because they stole the crystal we see at the end of the movie, having the plot revolve around slave labor, etc). Also of particular note was the character of Jar Jar Binks who literally would have become a fan favorite had he acted in this sort of fashion (in other words, he's hilarious).

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for sharing, Fansome.

I'm wondering if it might be helpful to list one or two of the specific things that stand out about each edit, as has already been done for some of these. Frink has that wonderfully detailed spreadsheet, but I'm just talking about just a sentence or two that encapsulates what people remember most about each edit.

For instance:

The Phantom Edit was the first one out of the gate; it set the ball rolling. The editor tried to hold to the 2-hour running time of the OT.
The Phantom Re-Edit made a few more cuts and changed Jar Jar's dialogue by looping his voice backwards.
Frink's Eps. I and II turn the films into outright parody.
L8's prequels focus more on character than action, and run about 90 minutes apiece.
Rouge's Ep. II = Super 8. 'Nuff said!
Slumberland's Ep. II keeps some cheese but restructures the story.

So, JasonN and Q2 were both mentioned. What's a quick synopsis that differentiates them from the other edits?

And how would people summarize the prequel edits of Kerr, seciors, Father Merrin, A Digital Man and Spence?

I think this might be helpful not only to me as I work my way through the different prequels, but also to those who visit this thread in the future wanting to get an idea of where to start.

HyperDown

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've checked out quite a number of prequel edits, here are my picks:

episode I - Q2
Primarily due to 2 things: no "are you an angel" line, and a shorter pod race.
Yads' episode I is also quite good, I'm looking forward to his hd version.
Magnoliafan had some great ideas (especially with making JarJar funny), but the video quality is poor, and the cuts don’t go far enough.

episode II - L8WRTR
L8 did a great job with improving the relationship between Obi and Anakin. I like Q2's also, but L8 kept the Obi-wan / Jango dogfight in the asteroid belt and an abbreviated Yoda v Dooku (both of which Q2 cut) which are just really fun scenes.
After reading so much praise for Slumberland's ep II, I'm trying to get a copy of that to check out.

episode III – Stankpac
Stankpac’s ending is tighter (and better imho) than L8’s. Also, I like his Palpatine reveal a little better. I found Q2’s ending interesting, but it felt very abrupt and unsatisfying.
Kerr did a great job with his ep III, but I can’t handle that damn Boga squawking 20 or 30 times!

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mine is the most creative and bold. ;)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good things to keep in mind. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

I'm glad someone resurrected the thread after I accidentally killed it. I guess I shot first. ;)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Every time I see this thread pop back up, I briefly consider going back to working on the cutlists...but I don't hate myself that much.

Top Bottom