• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Star Wars Prequel Trilogy edits

soufihadi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
He's definitely doing major plot revisions for the prequel trilogy, he says as much on his website. His primary focus is continuity errors of course, but he's also gonna be doing an awful lot of more traditional fan editing as well. His full planned change-list is here https://swrevisited.wordpress.com/ptr-facts/

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
What is this in response to? This thread is about the PT.
Response to soufihadi. He's point about preferring ady's edits is moot since it indeed does not include the PT (yet).
And to elaborate on that, I said even the OT doesn't do what the other edits discussed here do.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the future, if you aren't responding to the post above yours, try to reference the post in some way. The quote feature works nicely for this.

What was even more confusing about your post is that his point was not moot. adywan has provided some information on his plans for the PT. You're the one who brought the OT into it.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, nice to see the love! Thanks to everyone who has enjoyed them.

Moe_Syzlak said:
What njvc said. To me, the most basic thing you need to decide is whether you need each chapter to be around two hours. L8wrtr's adhere to that and I just don't think enough is cut. I prefer the deep edits of these movies even if they end up closer to a TV episode in length. IMO there's just not enough there to justify six hours. That said, I'm not even sure of the versions I have without checking because I never watch them. So far, for me, the PT is beyond saving.

This is interesting because in actuality, none of my edits hit 2 hours and TMBTM often noted that this was the one aspect of my edits that he liked the least, that they weren't 2 hours. My Episode I and II both clock in at 1:36 (including credits). My Episode 3 is the longest of my trilogy clocking in at 1:52. In terms of a watchable final product, Episode 3 is probably the one I'm most proud of :).

A fun project might be to get a synopsis from each faneditor who has a full PT set which describes their overall approach/philosphy/highlights which can inform people looking for PT Trilogies, allowing them to see what sets best remedy the issues they have with the PT, or work to achieve the same things they wish they could see in a PT (given the source we have to work with ;) ) Also it could also help delineate which edits are more-or-less able to be interchanged and which series are really more stand-alone (Q2's for instance really work best together and might not make good for mixing and matching with other PT edits as they would create some continuity inconsistencies).

We played with the idea (okay it was pretty much just me) of adding a section to IFDB for Series pages (Star Wars trilogies, Matrix Trilogies, Transformer sets, etc..) which would summarize them and possibly allow rating based on the entire set of edits, but by the time we finished IFDB I was just too worn out and never got back to it. Maybe it would be a good idea to try and revive!

Ultimately the PT is an amazing set of films in that from that same 600 minutes or so of footage, so many editors have been able to sculpt their own specific vision of how best to make something watchable out of something we all so desperately wanted to be amazing, but fell so dramatically short.

HyperDown

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well said, L8wrtr.

As for prequel trilogy recommendations, I've watched a ton of 'em and here's my pics:

Episode I: Q2's version 1 (which has Sidious)
Episode II: L8wrtr, good stuff
Episode III: Stankpac, oh yeah

soufihadi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow L8wrtr is here! I'm honored sir. And I love your idea of series pages, that would make it a LOT easier to find the best experience for our individual tastes... At the very least it would shave a good 2-3 hours off of research time :p. I really hope you find the time to implement this, it would be great.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Hey L8wrtr, you're now a Sir. Nice ;-)
And you deserve the love. As HAL said, you took the Phantom Edit principles and perfected them on the PT.
Now, I haven't seen HAL's yet, but my kids have only ever seen your Ep2 and Ep3. As far as they know, that's what Lucas released! :)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Don't do that. It'll go to his head.
First, too late :)

Second, njvc will be along soon enough to insult me and deflate any ego I may have. He's good at that.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This conversation makes me wish someone would have taken over my comparison projects when I shelved them.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
njvc will be along soon enough to insult me and deflate any ego I may have. He's good at that.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
This conversation makes me wish someone would have taken over my comparison projects when I shelved them.

I nominate tv's Frink to pick up that project.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nah, he's a bastard.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I nominate OT.com's Ric Olie to take over the Frink Files.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's possible. He's just returned from a mission on another planet.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
Wow, nice to see the love! Thanks to everyone who has enjoyed them.

This is interesting because in actuality, none of my edits hit 2 hours and TMBTM often noted that this was the one aspect of my edits that he liked the least, that they weren't 2 hours. My Episode I and II both clock in at 1:36 (including credits). My Episode 3 is the longest of my trilogy clocking in at 1:52. In terms of a watchable final product, Episode 3 is probably the one I'm most proud of :).

A fun project might be to get a synopsis from each faneditor who has a full PT set which describes their overall approach/philosphy/highlights which can inform people looking for PT Trilogies, allowing them to see what sets best remedy the issues they have with the PT, or work to achieve the same things they wish they could see in a PT (given the source we have to work with ;) ) Also it could also help delineate which edits are more-or-less able to be interchanged and which series are really more stand-alone (Q2's for instance really work best together and might not make good for mixing and matching with other PT edits as they would create some continuity inconsistencies).

We played with the idea (okay it was pretty much just me) of adding a section to IFDB for Series pages (Star Wars trilogies, Matrix Trilogies, Transformer sets, etc..) which would summarize them and possibly allow rating based on the entire set of edits, but by the time we finished IFDB I was just too worn out and never got back to it. Maybe it would be a good idea to try and revive!

Ultimately the PT is an amazing set of films in that from that same 600 minutes or so of footage, so many editors have been able to sculpt their own specific vision of how best to make something watchable out of something we all so desperately wanted to be amazing, but fell so dramatically short.
My bad. I must've been thinking of another edit. I actually have yours for ep2, seciors for ep1, and I'm not sure what ep3 I have.

Edit: was.just able to check and I still have the Stankpac ep3.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seeing him again would bring warm feelings to my heart.

EDIT: curse my metal fingers, I wasn't fast enough!

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally my picks for the series are Seciors' Episode I and HAL9000's Episodes II and III. HAL's Episode I wasn't good enough for me but his II and III surpassed L8wrtr's IMO, which were my favorites previously.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I nominate OT.com's Ric Olie to take over the Frink Files.

That sounds good to me. After all, there may have been a lot of edits to catch up on since that time...but Ric Olie catches on pretty quick!

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did a little spreadsheet once about compatibility between different editor's PT in order to mix and match. Variables like presence of prophecy, whether Yoda uses a lightsaber, and how 3PO is portrayed.
If someone was looking to do an all-star mix and match trilogy run, I'd say the following would be fun and have some degree of continuity:
Seciors' Episode I: Return Of The Sith
L8wrtr's Episode II: The Republic Divided
Hal9000's Episode III: Labyrinth Of Evil

Setting up such run-throughs could be a fun way to introduce variety into watching the PT.

Top Bottom