• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Best settings for file conversion

Thanks. Looks like the Subler is probably going to be more my speed.

Subler is still working and not even half done. Seems fishy. If it is really just a matter of changing containers shouldn't it be only a matter of seconds or minutes, not hours?

I also tried a method I found online using VLC. It seemed to work and work very quickly. However, when I attempt to import the file nothing happens. No warning that the file is incompatible and the file doesn't import. Simply nothing happens. When you try to drag the file in, the green plus shows indicating that it should import. 

Any Mac guys have any ideas? This can't be an uncommon issue.

yeah, it should work in a matter of minutes. I'm not familiar with subler at all, sorry. This is a very easy process on a PC. Hopefully a Mac user can help you out.

So I may have figured it out. It's going to take a while to know for sure. I think the audio is AC3 and an iTunes compatible MP4 has to be AAC audio. So it can't pass thru. I'm trying a run through with VLC converting only the audio. We'll see if it works. Obviously if I was playing these on a Mac I'd just us VLC for playback a star I've always done. But that's doesn't work on Apple TV.

Still hoping a Mac guy can chime in. 

P.S. Subler failed after four hours.

You might have luck with setting up a virtual machine with Windows and doing your work in it. VirtualBox is free and Microsoft offers free-to-use Windows VM builds on http://modern.ie (link still works but they updated it to the following)
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

I use this method to test things on Windows at work, as my work computer is a Mac. You can find tutorials easily that will help you get it up and running, and separately, to allow drag and drop of files from the virtual machine to your real computer.

try mp4tools. no need to re-encode the video. the audio, though, can be re-encoded.

I was able to get it to work. I'm pretty sure it was the audio that was causing the issues. It imports to iTunes and plays via Apple TV now that I passed thru the video but re-encoded the audio to AAC. That still takes a long time so I'll probably only do a few select movies.

Back
Top Bottom