• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best resolution for a DVD?

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,

I'm looking into making a DVD version of my SM3 Dark Cut, and I was just wondering - if my source file has a resolution of 740x360 (PAL Widescreen) then what would be an ideal resolution for a DVD version? I tried burning it as 640x360 and it looked a little blurry on my 32 inch TV, and that was also with a DVD upscaler. Any suggestions? I'm kinda new to DVD authoring lol.

Cheers.

Also, I'd like to get some extras on the disc (they're DVD-9s) so I'd like to leave space for those too.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:?:
740x360 is not PAL WIDESCREEN, at least not at all a standard format.
720x576 is fullscreen PAL resolution. For anamorphic you still use the width of 720, but calculate the height as if you were using 1024x576. NTSC is the preferred format of course.
There are lots of guides in the tech section of this forum explaining proper sizes.
Of course your version looked blurry in 640x360.

Joelio

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
640X360 is the resolution that my DVDRip of Spider-Man 3 is; when I ripped the file, I opened up Magic DVD Ripper, hit "Convert" and that was how it came out. It's the next step down from 720x576. The mp4 that I uploaded to MU is 640x360.

At the moment I'm taking baby steps, so I'll work on a PAL DVD first, and then work my way towards making a possible NTSC one. Things are kinda hectic for me, I had actually originally only bargained on making a file to watch on my comp.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sounds pretty much like Magic DVD Ripper is a piece of crap. And that is why you are the only one to use it on this entire board. I know how it goes, when you are used to a software, but if yours reduces the resolution then it's a bad tool for fanediting. Also: if the original resolution is changed it means that your software has re-encoded the video, causing a serious quality loss.
Use DVD Fab Decrypter to rip.

robbievaliant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, it may not have changed the quality- If your movie was a non-16:9 aspect ratio, it probably just trimmed off the letterbox bars from the picture.

Top Bottom