• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Kingdom of the Crystal Skull edit?

Yorick

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What do you think is the best Kingdom of the Crystal Skull edit? There are five to choose from:

Dr. Jones and the Skull Kingdom mystery by Wraith
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Covenant Edition by TM2YC
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Essential edition by Q2
Raiders of the Krystal Skull by Remixed by Jorge
Raiders of the Lost Skull by njvc

Any recommendations?

MWRK

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've heard alot of good reviews on the Covenant Edition. I'd go with that. But to be honest I haven't watched all these edits. I guess you'd have to go to the IFDB page and check out the ratings for yourself. :)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yorick said:
What do you think is the best Kingdom of the Crystal Skull edit? There are five to choose from:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Essential edition by Q2

Any recommendations?

Here are my reviews for each of the edits you mentioned. Except Q2's, I never saw that one.

I felt a bit let down by this edit. The technical aspects were fine (well I wasn’t too crazy about the new opening scene). But as a film this edit is still terrible. I didn’t feel this was a classic Indiana Jones adventure, as was part of the intention for this edit. And sorry if I’m a total downer here and being unfair, but I’m surprised this beat out The Ugly West for FEOTM.

FANEDIT RATING
Audio/Video Quality – 6
Visual Editing – 8
Audio Editing – 8

MOVIE RATING
Narrative – 4 (original is 2 so this is improved, but it could have been way better)
Enjoyment – 3 (original is 2)

OVERALL RATING - 4.5

Good fanedit. Quality was great. Editing overall was good but a little sloppy at times. Could have spent more time on some things, such as the opening shot transitions. Color correction is pretty damn solid, great work on that. Movie is much more bearable. Recommended.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 8 visual, 10 audio
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 7 (original 4)

Overall rating: 7.7

Recommended drink: Popov vodka, Brita filtered 3x

Most of my thoughts on this edit have been expressed by earlier reviewers. Overall the film felt too fast for my tastes but I enjoyed it more or less. The opening news reel was odd, there was little to no character development, action scenes were much better, skull spell effect was sweet, ending was a bit ludicrous.

Quality was fine, editing was ok, narrative was a mess and it was only marginally more enjoyable for me than the theatrical cut.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 8
Narrative - 5
Enjoyment - 6 (original 4)

Overall rating: 6.5

Recommended drink: Russian Standard vodka

Very entertaining Indy 4 edit. A lot of the terrible moments are gone and what’s left is a pretty damn good movie. Still the weakest of the 4, but at least now it’s almost worthy of being an Indiana Jones movie. Picture quality is dazzling and the editing is perfect.
Two minor nitpicks though. The title “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” remains at the start of the movie. And, the added line “Water! Water!” is an obvious overdub due to Indy not moving his lips. But no big deal at all.

A/V quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 8

Overall rating: 8.6

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2's and njvc's are both excellent, you can read my reviews on IFDb. Jorge's is okay, some neat stuff but some goofy stuff as well, you can read my review on IFDb.

Haven't seen the other two.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=6566]TMBTM[/MENTION] has made the best version... At least I imagine that will be the case very soon :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
TMBTM has made the best version... At least I imagine that will be the case very soon :)

Lol, thanks but don't let my trailer fools you too much. ;)

Anarchemist

Reaction score
Trophy Points
IMO, TMBTM's Riddles of the Lost Gods is easily the best edit of Indy 4. There are a tiny few things that I wish were slightly different, but I've wracked my brain trying to figure out how it could be better, using the source material, and I don't think it can be improved much more than this version.

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would someone who has seen a few of these edits mind describing the opening scene of each? The Covenant Edition changelist says there is a new mountain matte painting in place of the molehill. I'm downloading Njvc's version right now, and was wondering about how the memorable first shot was handled in the others.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Riddles of the Lost Gods edit starts with the paramount logo fading on a triangle made by three stars in a night sky (plus one star in the middle). From a scene of the movie "The Fountain".

293hms8.jpg

Initialy I wanted the logo to disappear except three of its stars that would have stand a bit longuer in the sky before fading.
But I was lazy. -_-

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never has a film telegraphed to me so unmistakably through its first shot what to expect than KOTCS.

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are several newer edits of this movie. Just wondering what people now feel are some of the best versions? Thinking about watching one in the lead up to dial of destiny.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen @TM2YC's Covenant Edition and @TMBTM's Riddles of the Lost Gods. I preferred Covenant Edition personally, but I enjoyed Riddles of the Lost Gods a lot too as an experiment. Loved how shockingly well the Fountain scenes fit. Side note, those scenes made me watch the original when I was 12, and I loved it despite not understanding it at all lmao! But that's always awesome when a fanedit inspires you to check out something new. Anyway, I never saw NJVC's Raiders of the Lost Skull, but I've heard good things about that one too. I haven't seen any of the newer ones so I can't say.

I'm hoping for an HD (or ideally 4K) update for Covenant Edition though, as it's gotten outdated in regards to its quality. Maybe I'll do it sometime lol. But, I've enjoyed Crystal Skull in the past so I'm not as passionate about it, and I'm okay with my theatrical UHD disc. That's just me though.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are several newer edits of this movie. Just wondering what people now feel are some of the best versions? Thinking about watching one in the lead up to dial of destiny.
Mine is more or less canon, of that helps. I think it turned out pretty good.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It turned out very good.

We loved it.

We watched the first Indy movie unedited and then watched edits of the next three volumes. We watched the next two edits by a dissappeared artist, @InfoDroid. Then we watched @spence's edit.

It was the perfect way to watch them except, the two edits by @InfoDroid weren't HD or 5.1 Surround. Other than that...it was an awesome evening. @spence's edit not only fit perfectly and had the same flow of the others, it provided a satisfying ending to the first four.

Last edited:

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It turned out very good.

We loved it.

We watched the first Indy movie unedited and then watched edits of the next three volumes. We watched the next two edits by a dissappeared artist, @InfoDroid. Then we watched @spence's edit.

It was the perfect way to watch them except, the two edits by @InfoDroid weren't HD or 5.1 Surround. Other than that...it was an awesome evening. @spence's edit not only fit perfectly and had the same flow of the others, it provided a satisfying ending to the first four.
We also watched them all over again. This time we watched @DonkeyKonga's Race with The Devil Cut as the fourth installment. It was a perfect addition, as well. Loved the new title song. Somebody give that plumber a banana!

Top Bottom