• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best hobbit book edit?

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
flaminio said:
The "best" edit probably hasn't been created yet -- the EE of BOFA is supposed to include 30 or so minutes of extra footage, and will be out in November.

Indeed, and that's the one I'm waiting for... may well give an edit of all three films into one a go, when that comes out ;)

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There has been a trailer released for the EE trilogy, which contains some new scenes of the third one.

lfm2m6m

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi,
i'm working on a version of the hobbit "3 in 1" on HD, this is an assembly of my previous work with my friend "PegiP" (The Hobbit The Biblical Cut) and we get a movie of a length of 3hours and 22minutes.

LF

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lfm2m6m said:
Hi,
i'm working on a version of the hobbit "3 in 1" on HD, this is an assembly of my previous work with my friend "PegiP" (The Hobbit The Biblical Cut and we get a movie of a length of 3hours and 22minutes.

LF

This is a warning. I have removed your links to your site where direct download links are available. This is not the first time you've done this. Read the rules and don't let it happen again or you'll be facing a temporary ban.

Read Using This Site. Also General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

radium226

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought I'd add my quick two cents to this one.  My favorite edit over all is the 'ElDusto84' edit, which for some reason isn't listed on this site (there's a recent blog post on his site mentioning he submitted it in December for review?  It certainly deserves recognition, so I hope it will eventually be listed).  It's a mostly-book cut (the appendices are cut away, but there are still a few liberties taken here and there).  It's not perfect, but it's a great edit and I'm very happy with it.

My perfect edit would be a mix of mostly this edit, with a few key scenes from Spence's edit.  Spence's edit is not at all a book edit, however it's a brilliant work and many of his cuts do make the story much more book-like.  The 'ElDusto84' edit is perfect right up to Laketown.  Once you get to Laketown, Alfrid is fairly minimized, but the Master is still an over the top, mustache twirling, "forget the people, save the gold!" villain.  This I would replace this with Spence's treatment.  Once they leave Laketown, everything goes fine (with a few added scenes left in, but nothing egregious) up until the slaying of Smaug, where, again, I'd splice in Spence's treatment (arrow fired directly from his bow rather than balanced on son's shoulder).

Aside from those two scenes, I was really happy with the 'ElDusto84' edit.  Full disclosure: I actually -have- done the changes I mentioned above and created my own "perfect" edit, but the quality is not quite up to where I'd like it to be, plus I've recently been inspired by Billy Batson's and the Bilbo Edition to make a few more changes.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m currently reading the Hobbit to my kids and, as we’ve done with the first two Harry Potter books, I want to let them watch the movie after we’re done reading it. So I’m shopping for an appropriate edit. 

My wish list:
- as kid friendly as possible. My kids will be just about six when we watch it. 
- as close to the book as possible.

- if those first two criteria are met (they are really the most important), then I’d also prefer it to be as short as possible. One or two movies at most. 

I’ve read  about all the films on IFdb and many in threads that aren’t listed.  But there’s just so many out there it’s tough to wade through. If you knownof one that fits the bill, I’d be most appreciative.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^^^^^ I’m bumping this once to see if perhaps some missed it because it was posted on the weekend. Thanks in advance!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
^^^^^^^ I’m bumping this once to see if perhaps some missed it because it was posted on the weekend. Thanks in advance!

Please refrain from bumping threads. If someone missed it, it will show up in their unread threads. Thanks

Flubly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I’m currently reading the Hobbit to my kids and, as we’ve done with the first two Harry Potter books, I want to let them watch the movie after we’re done reading it. So I’m shopping for an appropriate edit. 

My wish list:
- as kid friendly as possible. My kids will be just about six when we watch it. 
- as close to the book as possible.

- if those first two criteria are met (they are really the most important), then I’d also prefer it to be as short as possible. One or two movies at most. 

I’ve read  about all the films on IFdb and many in threads that aren’t listed.  But there’s just so many out there it’s tough to wade through. If you knownof one that fits the bill, I’d be most appreciative.

I haven't seen many, but I really like "The Little Hobbit" :  https://ifdb.fanedit.org/the-little-hobbit/

Under 3 hours and very lean and brisk. Hardly any stand and deliver monologues I hated from the originals, it just keeps moving. The benefit of cutting out so much fat is it feels much like a storybook again instead of a weak-ass LOTR.

There's a couple weird things from so much being gone (the black arrow coming out of nowhere, no eagles first time round because no pale orc until end, Kili suddenly gone because death scene was removed to get rid of Tauriel) but I was hardly bothered by any of that. Getting rid of the tree escape is unfortunate because that's a book scene, but it's worth it to get rid of the pale orc as much as possible.

I'd say it's the closest to the feeling of reading the Hobbit even if it isn't strictly a book cut. Focuses more on the broad strokes of light myth that the book exudes in its atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure it's fine for kids. This cut takes so much out that anything in it is pretty essential. If you're seeing it here, it'll most likely be in a longer cut. As far as I know, there's no cut that exists specifically to take it from PG-13 to PG.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flubly said:
I haven't seen many, but I really like "The Little Hobbit" :  https://ifdb.fanedit.org/the-little-hobbit/

Under 3 hours and very lean and brisk. Hardly any stand and deliver monologues I hated from the originals, it just keeps moving. The benefit of cutting out so much fat is it feels much like a storybook again instead of a weak-ass LOTR.

There's a couple weird things from so much being gone (the black arrow coming out of nowhere, no eagles first time round because no pale orc until end, Kili suddenly gone because death scene was removed to get rid of Tauriel) but I was hardly bothered by any of that. Getting rid of the tree escape is unfortunate because that's a book scene, but it's worth it to get rid of the pale orc as much as possible.

I'd say it's the closest to the feeling of reading the Hobbit even if it isn't strictly a book cut. Focuses more on the broad strokes of light myth that the book exudes in its atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure it's fine for kids. This cut takes so much out that anything in it is pretty essential. If you're seeing it here, it'll most likely be in a longer cut. As far as I know, there's no cut that exists specifically to take it from PG-13 to PG.

Thanks. I’ll check that one out. I’m not against cutting a few things more if needed to make it appropriate for my kids. They never notice any continuity issues. For example, I edited out Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru dying in Star Wars and they’ve never once questioned why Luke would leave his Aunt and Uncle without saying anything. Maybe I should be a bit concerned about that.  :p

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We just finished reading the Hobbit to my kids. After previewing some Hobbit book(ish) edits, I found them to be mostly appropriate for kids. But I also found them pretty boring. We watched the 1977 Rankin/Bass animated version instead. Honestly, even at its brief runtime, even that didn’t hold their attention well. They did love the book. They’re clamoring to start Lord of the Rings but I think they’re years from being ready for that.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
We just finished reading the Hobbit to my kids. After previewing some Hobbit book(ish) edits, I found them to be mostly appropriate for kids. But I also found them pretty boring. We watched the 1977 Rankin/Bass animated version instead. Honestly, even at its brief runtime, even that didn’t hold their attention well. They did love the book. They’re clamoring to start Lord of the Rings but I think they’re years from being ready for that.

Perhaps you could show the Bashki Lord of the Rings and the Rankin/Bass Return of the King?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Perhaps you could show the Bashki Lord of the Rings and the Rankin/Bass Return of the King?

I meant that they aren’t ready to dive headlong into the LotR books. To be honest, I had never read the Hobbit and thought it was more of a kids book than it turned out to be. I was surprised my five year olds liked it.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my 12-year-old, who loves fantasy, modestly enjoyed reading the hobbit and fellowship. the two towers put her to sleep; and i remember my own struggles getting through that book.

much as i love tolkien, i have to admit the dude had pacing issues.

JXEditor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently submitted an edit, meant to be as close to the book as I could get it, for approval. If you're interested pm me.

Echoweaver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I meant that they aren’t ready to dive headlong into the LotR books. To be honest, I had never read the Hobbit and thought it was more of a kids book than it turned out to be. I was surprised my five year olds liked it.

Haha. My kid watched the Jackson LotR movies at the age of 5 and loved them. A little story there:

Up until that point, the scariest movie she had seen was Labyrinth, and that freaked her out. But I'm a very casual Lord of the Rings Online player, and one day she saw me shooting down crebain with my Hunter. She insisted on playing.

I warned her that this game was far more complex than any game she'd played. It was really for adults. She wouldn't let it go. Finally, I told her that she could only play if she watched all three movies so she could understand what the game was about. She agreed.

I figured she would be scared off quickly. Instead, we had a fascinating conversation about how adventure movies aren't about characters going into life-threatening situations and dying. They're usually about how characters *survive* life-threatening danger. She asked me if anyone died. I told her about Boromir. She was good to go. She watched straight through and then started back at the beginning. She loves them.

Moreover, she's actually quite a good LOTRO player.... And now at the age of 7, she can even read the quests on her own.

At any rate, you kids might (or might not) be ready for LotR :). But probably not the books yet.

ssj said:
my 12-year-old, who loves fantasy, modestly enjoyed reading the hobbit and fellowship. the two towers put her to sleep; and i remember my own struggles getting through that book.

much as i love tolkien, i have to admit the dude had pacing issues.

Word. My mother was part of the Frodo Lives movement. She gave me the LotR books in the third grade (Hobbit in second). I tried to read several times over the years and kept getting bogged down in TTT. Eventually I go all the way through. 

I reread them much later and loved them, even TTT. 

FWIW, I also have a Hobbit edit submitted. It's almost certainly not as faithful JXEditor, but closer to the book to than the source material, and fast-paced. My kid likes it. (Of course, she also would want to please me, so YMMV.) Available by PM.

Also recommended, though not listed on this site: FekketCantenel's 2-Hour Hobbit Edit. You can Google it. Rather than being a book cut, it's a cut to match the Rankin/Bass animated Hobbit. I think it's quite good, and I believe it's the shortest 3-in-1 Hobbit edit out there, but for all that speed still doesn't have whiplash pacing. (Not sure if that one's been recommended. I read the beginning and end of the thread, but not all the posts in between.)

bradwestness

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an old thread, but it feels incomplete without a mention of M4's book edit, which is easily the most technically accomplished 3-in-1 by-the-book edit I've seen, with surround sound throughout and new VFX created to avoid continuity errors, etc.

Reactions: M4_

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an old thread, but it feels incomplete without a mention of M4's book edit, which is easily the most technically accomplished 3-in-1 by-the-book edit I've seen, with surround sound throughout and new VFX created to avoid continuity errors, etc.
I haven't watched it yet, but would you say it supersedes eldusto's Maple Films 3-in-1 edit?

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched it yet, but would you say it supersedes eldusto's Maple Films 3-in-1 edit?
Can’t really answer don’t want to be bias but I will say this: I’d say it’s at least on par, but we still have creative choices that differ. In terms of being a book focused cut, I do technically follow that goal closer (extended Beorn, Mirkwood, and how Barrel scene/Azog/Smaug are handled), but that said, viewers may not always be looking for what’s closest to Tolkien.

IMO I still think I hit a good balance of being a good movie with action/drama while still being book accurate, but not everyone will agree with that balance, so in terms of 3-in-1 cuts in general there’s still lots of subjectivity.

bradwestness

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For my money it does - the Maple Films one is great and obviously "got there first" by a wide margin - but there are places throughout where the video quality drops with compression artifacts and some slightly less artful edits. I would say the Maple Films one is a close second, quality-wise, but M4's is just in another league in terms of the seamlessness and attention to detail compared to most.

Top Bottom