• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Best fonts for DVD menu's

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Currently with my T23D I used the font Lucida for the textual parts on my DVD menu's. It looks awesome on my computer, however on my tv screen it's looks like shit and it's very hard to read.

So what are the best fonts to use for DVD menu's that look both great on computer as on tv?

edit:
second question, what's the best font to replace my Lucida font with? Keep in mind that it needs to be readable on the tv screen while the perfect solution needs to be as width as the current one (in order to keep intact the widths that are used now).

I used Courier New for the DVD menus on my Hot Fuzz edit - showed up nicely on both my TV and my computer.

You could also try Gill Sans or Georgia.

I really think the font depends on the film. I try to make my font selection flow very nicely with the art that accompanies the menu. Although you do want to keep it somewhat simplistic so that the viewer can read it. I have always liked Franklin Gothic and Bankletter MT. But like I said, it depends on the film or DVD

ThrowgnCpr said:
But like I said, it depends on the film or DVD
I actually liked the font that I chose for my fanedit, but on tv it's just pretty unreadable while in DVD Lab Pro 2 it looks fantastic. Really annoying.

could you post a screen grab of the menu (even if on the "good" version on your PC). Maybe there is something similar that we can suggest that will look OK on TV

Are you using Lucida Console?

Courier New would be a good substitute. Ghostcut vouches for it showing up on both a monitor and a TV screen, and it is very similar in style to Lucida Console.

ThrowgnCpr said:
could you post a screen grab of the menu (even if on the "good" version on your PC). Maybe there is something similar that we can suggest that will look OK on TV
I just took a quick screenshot of the menu in DVD Lab Pro 2.
I'm using Lucida Sans, size 20.

screenshot

OK, I took a look at it. I don't think Courier New is going to be similar enough to Lucida Sans for your preferences. I would give Franklin Gothic a try. It may be similar enough, and I have used it with success on DVD menus for some of my projects. Looked just dandy on my TV. I believe that it is a free font. If not there should be many options for almost identical free fonts. you can PM me if you are having trouble finding a suitable font.

You're right. It looks terrible, even when ignoring the quality of the pictures. I probably wouldn't be able to read that from a distance.

I think it is not that bad. I can easily read it.

Perhaps I shall upload a vob file, and you burn it on a rewritable and check if it's readable on your tv?

The font looks good on my pc, but horrible on my tv.

I need 1 volunteer from the USA with a NTSC DVD player and a DVD-rewritable to burn for me and to test something. Who is willing to try something for me?

Back
Top Bottom