• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Best FanEdits Top 5

1. Star Wars Revisited by Adywan
2. Dark Knight Remixed by Jorge
3. T3 The Coming Storm by UA
4. Batman Consecution VA
5. Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Nemesis UA

1. Star Wars: Revisted
2. Attack of the Phantom
3. Batman Begins: Dark Cut
4. T3: The Coming Storm
5. The Dark Knight: Remixed

1. Shadow of the Sith
2. Temple of Doom by infodroid
3. A New Hope Revisited
4. Kong by TMBTM
5. Star Wars 30's serial dusty version by TMBTM

Captain Khajiit's Top Five Fanedits

1. David Lynch's Dune: The Third Stage Edition by Phineasbg and Nighthawks
2. Titanic: The White Star Extended Edition by Adigitalman
3. Alien 3: The Hybrid Cut by Leonenut
4. Heat: A Los Angeles Crime Saga by Gekko
5. The War of the Stars: A New Hope Grindhoused by TMBTM

Jelios Top Five Favorite Fanedits

1: Kerrs Lord of the Rings "book cuts" (all 6 parts)
2: Uncanny Antman - Terminator 3 The Coming Storm
3: Star Wars: Episode 2 Attack of the Phantom
4: CBB War of the Worlds extinctive cut
5: Twilight Zone: Planet of the Apes collective by tranzor

TV's Frink said:
1. Star Wars EP 4 Revisited by Adywan - A professional-quality DVD, with new special effects, edits to get rid of some of GL's worst ideas, fixes to continuity errors, fixes to color problems, and much more. A masterpiece. Replaces my offical EP 4 SE DVD without a second thought.

2. Matrix Dezionized by CBB - This is exactly the movie I wanted to see in the theaters. No Zion scenes at all, and it works great. Will easily replace both my Reloaded and Revisited discs.

3. Batman/Batman Forever by Dluppers - A fresh new take on the classic Burton films. The two movies are expertly weaved together so the the plots run concurrently. Doesn't replace my discs, but sits proudly right next to them.

4. Star Wars EP 3 Revenge of the Sith by ADM - A very good film becomes even better with a lot of minor annyoing bits removed. Anakin no longer has doubts when he turns to the dark side, and that alone allows it to take the place of my official copy.

5. Star Wars EP 1 The Phantom Edit by the Phantom Editor - Worth it just for the history and the commentary.

Great work all!
Wow I need to update this. I think ANH:R is the only one that would make my top 5 now.

Top 5 FanEdits:
1. Where the Wild Things Are: The Wild Rumpus Edition, by njvc
2. Jaws: The Sharksploitation Edit, by The Man Behind the Mask
3. Attack of the Clones: The Super 8 Cut, by Rogue-theX
4. Transformers (UA Edit), by Uncanny Antman
5. Star Wars: Episode I - The Ridiculous Menace, by TV's Frink

Honorable Mentions:
Batman Begins - Dark Cut, by JMB
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: The InfoDroid Edit, by InfoDroid
Quantum of Solace: Bond's Revenge, by LastSurvivor
Star Wars: Episode IV 2004 Special Edition Revisited, by Adywan

I still have a long list of edits to watch...

Watchmen: Midnight! I thought that was an amazing edit of an otherwise near-masterpiece.

In no particular order of merit these are the fanedits I enjoy most over the originals.

1 Dune Third Stage Edit
2 Love Actually Bloated and Flatulent Edition
3 Anchorman: Whammy Edition
4 Waterworld Ulysses Cut
5 Re-Animator: Re-Animated

Keeping in mind I haven't seen too many yet, and others are no longer available, here's a temporary top 5, just to pitch in:

1. Superman: Son of Jor-El
2. Superman II: Booshman Redux
3. Star Wars IV: Revisited
4. Blade Runner: Electric Unicorn Cut
5. Blue Skies on Mars: A Total Recall Edit

Wow. No one has listed a top 5 here since 2012! Well here is mine:

#1-- War of the Stars by TMBTM. At this point I have rewatched this version of A New Hope more than I have even seen the original. I really love this. A lot of people prefer the sequel, but I missed the Grindhouse effects. The trick this pulled off is amazing. It turned Star Wars into what should have been a crappy cheap 70s drive-in movie, but somehow all the excitement of the original remained in tact! In fact, for me, it is better than the absolute classic that is the original Star Wars

#2-- Robots vs Kung Fu by matrixgrindhouse. I am very eagerly awaiting the sequel to this one. Hysterical at times! The Grindhouse edit is my favorite type of edit. This is a different beast than War of the Stars; this is funnier and stranger. It has a wonderful feeling of tremendous ineptness about it! But in a good way! A clearly intentional way!

#3-- Tears in the Rain by Ranger613. This is the first "serious" one on my list. This fanedit is just beautiful to look at and tells a different story than the original Blade Runner did. The stark high contrast black and white really look amazing here. This blew me away visually and the emphasis in the story was on philosophy and what it means to be alive. The title is excellent and really effective when that line of dialogue is spoken. It's kind of an a-ha moment. Really beautiful.

#4-- Riddles of the Lost Gods by TMBTM. My 2nd TMBTM edit in my top 5! This is the first on my list that is a little more like a straight fanfix edit. The previous 3 were all great movies, edited into something drastically different. This starts with a bad movie and repairs it wonderfully. I cannot watch any version of Indy 4 where Mutt is Indy's son anymore.

#5--(a tie!!) Ridiculous Menace/Attack of Ridiculousness by TV's Frink. These are hard to separate as the vision of one is carried over into the 2nd one more consistently than most sequels ever are.

That's my top 5 list, but I'd also add that all of BionicBob's TOS Star Trek edits are really really great.

As this list shows, I tend to love drastic edits with scenes from other movies thrown in. The edits I love tend to be well under 3 hours---under 2 frequently. I am overjoyed to find other fans of MST3K here and to find that same sense of humor in several of my fav edits.

I'd been thinking recently about starting a thread like this. Glad there already is one and that there's some renewed interest in it.

While I haven't seen very many fan edits (yet), I love making lists, so I've been itching to write out my top five and it seems now's the perfect time.

5. Star Wars Episode III: Dawn of the Empire (L8wrtr) - Plain and simple I've included this edit on the list because I think it is the very best Star Wars prequel edit there is on the site (granted I haven't watched all of them, but that's who needs to when there are detailed cut lists on IFDB). It's not perfect (I actually prefer Hal 9000's edit of ROTS in some respects), but it is the best. I was blown away when I watched this edit. Notably it made Anakin's fall to the dark side more believable than any other. Most importantly, though, it the film great, and worthy of the Star Wars franchise.

4. Where the Wild Things Are: Wild Rumpus Edition (njvc) - I feel kind of weird putting this on here because I still have yet to see the theatrical version of this film. The thing is though, I don't want to. Njvc's version is perfect. It's amazing and exactly what I'd want from an adaptation of the book.

3. Saga of the Apes (bionicbob) - I am deeply in love with the original five Planet of the Apes films, but I will admit they're not all perfect. Bob wisely jettisons Battle and then plays with the first four, combining them through sheer brilliance to produce a three hour, two part epic that represents the very best of the Apes franchise in a (relatively) concise and exciting manner.

2. Star Wars: A New Hope Revisited (adywan) - I had considered for a second not including this at all, as it is more of a "special project" than a "true fan edit" if I were to use older terms. But, when you consider the amount of time and hard work put into this edit, and how much it pays off when you watch it, it's impossible not to include it. This is the real special edition.

1. War of the Stars Part II: The Future in Motion (TMBTM) - It was truly an amazing experience watching this edit. I was seeing a new Star Wars story unfold before my own eyes, and it was done using preexisting footage! Yes of course, it was preexisting footage, it's a fan edit after all, but that's what I mean. WOTSII is, to me, what fan edits are all about: making something new from something old. Am I making sense? This edit felt more original than any others of seen, and I loved that. Great fun too. All in all my number one favorite.

This list is subject to change.

OK, sure:

1. The War of the Stars - TMBTM - For general Awesomeness.

2. The Shadow Strikes - Bionic Bob - Same

3. Danny Canon's Judge Dredd - TM2YC - Same

4. Batman - Descent into Mystery - Dwight Fry - Same

5. Jack and Jill Extended - Neglify - BUURP, why not?

Great thread!

1. Provisionally booked for: The Empire Strikes Back: Revisited (Adywan)
Editing skills that put the professionals to shame. Coming 2014... maybe?
2. Robots Vs Kung Fu (MatrixGrindhouse)
So much fun, I've easily watched this twice as often as any other fanedit.
3. Kick-Ass 2 - Justice Forever (BionicBob)
I've yet to see a fanedit shift a movie so far on the bad-to-good swing-o-meter as this. Heroic, emotion filled and action packed.
4. Heaven's Gate - The Butcher's Cut (Steven Soderbergh)
Did what I could not and rescued this much maligned epic Western. More fanedits please Mr Soderbergh!
5. Exorcist - 40th Anniversary Preservation (Dr. Sapirstein)
Oh the colours, oh the image quality, oh the mono soundmix! The only way to watch this film.

[MENTION=28628]Anarchemist[/MENTION], [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION] - I'm incredibly honored to have made your lists! I really need to sit down and think about my own personal top five. Always in progress....

1. Dark Knight Remixed by Jorge - One of my first, still my favorite. Rearranging the story worked so well and this made the fight with the Joker at the end, which to me, is perfect.

2. Pulp Empire by njvc - Seamless editing, great shot and music choices. Just an awesome way to watch the movie. Even my wife who hates Star Wars liked it.

3. Robots vs Kung Fu by matrixgrindhouse - So much fun. This edit embodies the imagination in fan edits. This was a fresh, new experience of the movie and I loved it and laughed throughout.

4. Two Exits from Pan's Labyrinth - CBB - Genius. Taking a fantastic film and reinterpreting it in interesting and also fantastic ways.

5. Daredevil: The Man Without Fear by Uncanny Antman - This is different. It took a mediocre film, made very smart cuts throughout and turned it into a really good one. This is now not a Marvel movie I'm embarrassed of, completely replaced the theatrical cut for me. I hadn't thought I would ever really like this film when I saw it in theaters; I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom