• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best/easiest software/program for rotoscoping?

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gonna do some new things for my Superman 2 fan cut which will require using shots from Superman 3. I want to take Superman out of those locations and put him in different ones. Which program is best for doing this with rotoscoping?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not sure that this is rotoscoping exactly, but I would imagine that you would need After Effects for this.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
I am not sure that this is rotoscoping exactly, but I would imagine that you would need After Effects for this.

Yep the new after effects should be able to handle this very well, i believe it has a new feature designed for the same type of job you wish to perform.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. This whole time I've been telling people it's called rotoscoping. Ugh. Anyway, thanks for the advice, the name if the effect, and of course, the website.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This post is over 10 years old now, so I'm curious what is recommended now for rotoscoping or masking?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used after effects recently for the first time to remove Fred Durst from an old MTV video to put him in Return of the Jedi (long story). I managed to get good results in a fairly short amount of time. Other people I've talked to who seem to do more of this kind of stuff always talk about After Effects. I presume After Effects is the best, but I haven't particularly looked too far into it.

Before after effects I did this using premiere a couple of times which took a long time as I'm pretty sure it's not meant for that.

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but I need to know this story.
Well, I was making an edit of Return of the Jedi where Luke is completely cut out. Vader and The Emperor just die anticlimactically on the Death Star, so Vader is never redeemed. Thus, I had to remove Anakin as a force ghost from the ending, leaving an empty space.
Additionally, I thought it would be funny to replace Yub Nub with Neil Cicirega's mashup Limp Wicket, which pairs the Meco rendition of Yub Nub with Limp Bizkit's Nookie. I re-edited this song to cut out the added Meco verses.
Then, I figured, why not insert Fred Durst as a force ghost?
I looked through some Limp Bizkit music videos and live performances, and they all either weren't the right angle, or the shots weren't long enough. Eventually I found an old vhs quality clip from some MTV show, and it was perfect. I figured the quality wasn't a big deal since it'd also have a blue glow and be somewhat transparent.
Here's the clip as of when I last worked on it, it still needs some work definitely.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ Ha! Love it. Is this edit still gonna happen @Jrzag42 ? (feel free to reply on a more apt thread, lest we go too off topic)

Top Bottom