• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Alien 3 edit

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm planning an Alien rewatch marathon. For Alien and Aliens I'll just stick to the theatrical cuts as they're both excellent. However, for Alien 3 I'm looking for opinions on which fanedit to watch.

If it matters: I don't think I've even seen the entire film before. It'll be a pretty much new experience. Meaning: seeing a deleted scene reintegrated will have not have the intrinsic value for me it would have for a diehard fan. Longer/extended is only better if it truly improves the film as a whole. But if a deleted scene truly improves on character development or mood, I can accept inferior picture/sound quality on these scenes.

So which one would you recommend to an Alien 3 n00b?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
- I did not see the last Alien3: Q2 edit yet, but on paper it sounds like a good choice (at least to my taste), and there is an HD version (if that interest you).
- For Alien 4 I'm afraid you'll have to wait until march! ;)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm looking forward to your Resurrection edit, TMBTM!

For A3, HD isn't really a point with me right now since my TV is crap. The Q2 edit sounds similar to LeoneNut's version to me who doesn't know the film by heart. Has anyone seen both? And how about other versions, or even the theatrical?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really liked the A3 Bluray workprint or SE or whateveritscalled. Much better than theatrical.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havent seen q2's release yet but xeno-alpha's alien 3 re-assembly cut is my favorite version to date.

I for some reason really like alien 3. its probably my favorite of the series.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool info. Thanks. And you all prefer these to any officially released cut?

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Figured this would be the best place to post this. Here's a really great examination of the theatrical cut of Alien 3.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great vid! I agree. I've been getting flack for my love of A3 for decades. Its the "drama" of the series. Best writing/characterization and realized themes. I love alien 3.

and one minor nitpick about that video - theres only one tiny scene of CGI in A3 and its when the cracks form on the xeno's skull. the rest is a lousy looking matte around a rod puppet added into the scenes chemically [pre cgi effect] which gives the alien an odd "crappy cgi appearance" throughout the film. IMO the effects are amazing its just that lousy chemical treatment/matte that stands out like a sore thumb. Lots of info is available on this in the DVD/Bluray bonus documentary Wreckage and Rage.

Top Bottom