• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Beer Appreciation Thread

Evil Twin is one of my fav breweries... so many interesting brews and especially collabs. I recommend buying their Ying and Yang separately, and then pouring them yourself to make an at-home Black 'n Tan.
Yang-Yin-by-Evil-Twin.jpg

Speaking of Evil Twin, had their "Low Life" pilsner recently and it's a killer. Still light and quashable, but with some hoppy funk that I really dug. Immediately one of my fave pilsners ever.
5624019-EVILTWINlowlifepilsner_580x.jpg

makgeoolli-makgoli-allla-banana-in-lattina.jpg

If you've ever wondered what fizzy alcoholic banana milkshake would be like, then a chilled can of Korean banana 'Makgeolli' (sparkling rice beer) hits the spot.

It paired well with a bag of sweet & spicy 'Tteokbokki' crunchy dried rice cake tubes. A lingering spice heat and sweet to the point of being almost candied.

1613830133-068278400.jpg

Ha! Wow, that brought back a wave of nostalgia for me. Fresh tteokbokki is great (ever had it, @TM2YC ?), though I never gravitated towards the dried snack version. Used to have a tteokbokki vendor cart outside my apartment in Dongdaemun. Never had banana makgeolli, but I can imagine it cutting the spice well.
I wouldn't personally describe makgeolli as "beer" though, it's more similar to unfiltered (cloudy) sake. The non-canned version is pretty low alcohol too, like 2%, real old skool working man swill. Looks like you got a pretty premium import store near ya!

We’re in Dublin so I picked up a bottle of bourbon barrel aged Guiness, which I’d never seen before. As I suspected the stout is, well, not stout enough to stand up to the bourbon barrel aging. I prefer imperial type stouts for that. Guiness is great for what it is, but I don’t think barrel aging like that is where its strengths lie.

Last edited:
This thread is getting far too dusty.

Cracked open St Austell brewery's 2021 "vintage" imperial stout the other day and it was right up my alley. These days I find imp stouts tend to lean toward being either much too sweet and sickly, or just a bit gimmicky, with various crap being thrown into the mix. This was a no nonsense stout, cranked up to 11%. Very nice to take my time with, if a slightly odd one to pair with Mission Impossible 4.

That being said, I was very surprised when I recently had an aged balsamic stout. Yup, as in balsamic vinegar. It was honestly pretty balanced and gave the beer a nice character. Not too far away from what you'd expect from a dark wild ale but still set apart.

Wasn't sure anyone cared about his anymore! I'm doing a dry month after 2 weeks of drinking and partying in Cartagena, but I did pick up a Fuller's 2017 Bottle-Conditioned Vintage Ale Ltd. Ed. and it's aging on my shelf. Label says best to drink before Dec. 2027, so I'm thinking to hang onto it for another year or two... anyone have any experience drinking these ales meant to be shelf-sitters? This is the first time I've had strength of will to try it...

Sale by dates can largely be ignored with beer and whether they get better with age is really just matter of preference. The hoppy character of pale ales will fade and so they are generally better drunk fresh and are unlikely to gain a more desirable character over time, but they won't go "off". Darker beers you can definitely keep for as long as you want and will take on a new character with age. The main thing is that they are kept in a dark place at a consistent temperature, preferably one that's relatively cool. Beer's unlikely to spoil unless it's exposed to air or sunlight.

^Well, what I was referring to is that since this is Bottle-Conditioned, the secondary fermentation process is changing the character of the beer the longer it sits. To my knowledge, this means that the longer it sits, the more carbonated it's going to get, and the hop character will die down. Some funk and off flavors may start to take over as well after a really long time. So I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Fuller's Ales like this so that I can guestimate the best time to pop it. I tend to like some hop character and dislike the dank that can come from aged yeast, so it's tricky.

Thanks for the reminder, I have an Omegang chocolate stout I've been aging for 10 years that I forgot about in the back of my beer fridge. Time to break it out!

Eating Colston Bassett Stilton, which is kick-ass, and unwisely paired with Kernel's Imperial Brown (which is also kick-ass). While the malty, chocolate notes of the stout work really well initially with the cheese, the darker notes on the finish make the overall experience a tad salty. A sweeter example of an imp stout would have worked better.

post_5643396-156500988.jpg

Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Cask 51-day matured oatmeal stout is yum. 1 bottle down, 3 more to go.

When the original I&G came out, I was obsessed with it, then one day it was consistently skunky. Three six packs in a row: skunk, skunk, skunk. Something about the clear glass bottle and a change in handling (likely influenced by the increased popularity). I never went back to it. Maybe I should revisit?

When the original I&G came out, I was obsessed with it, then one day it was consistently skunky. Three six packs in a row: skunk, skunk, skunk. Something about the clear glass bottle and a change in handling (likely influenced by the increased popularity). I never went back to it. Maybe I should revisit?

Exact same experience here. I noticed this had gone back to the clear bottle and reinstated the "xx days aged" thing, which was dropped when it started to get more mass produced. Maybe I'm just imagining it tastes better :LOL: .

I'll buy some this weekend to add another data point. For science.

I’ve been training because I’m climbing the Matterhorn August, so I’ve been mostly off beer lately. However a friend gave me an American beer as he knows I have limited access to them here in Germany. It was a New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Fruit Force. It was undrinkable for me. I usually like the regular Voodoo Ranger even if it’s not among my favorite IPAs. But this was just awful. I don’t know if my palette just wasn’t ready for it since I haven’t been drinking a lot of bitter beers lately. But this didn’t taste like an IPA to me at all. I poured most of it down the drain.

Very rare for me not to finish a beer. The last one I dismissed was a truly awful raspberry imp stout from Cloudwater brewery. Just a horrible overload of sugar with overwhelming tart and bitter notes from the fruit. A very strange flavour and much too heavy. We actually have it on tap where I work currently, and I swear I haven't seen a single customer finish their glass. We should have finished the keg by now, but I think it may break the record for the longest a beer's stayed on our taps. Raspberry can work in stouts but I think it's a hard fruit to balance right. It doesn't work for these "throw anything at the wall" dessert beer concoctions IMO.

I’ve been training because I’m climbing the Matterhorn August, so I’ve been mostly off beer lately. However a friend gave me an American beer as he knows I have limited access to them here in Germany. It was a New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Fruit Force. It was undrinkable for me. I usually like the regular Voodoo Ranger even if it’s not among my favorite IPAs. But this was just awful. I don’t know if my palette just wasn’t ready for it since I haven’t been drinking a lot of bitter beers lately. But this didn’t taste like an IPA to me at all. I poured most of it down the drain.
Voodoo Ranger is an odd one. It would have a home in my top 20 if I ever decided to write that, but it doesn't quite come across like a proper IPA to me. It doesn't have the bitterness of the West or the fruitiness of the East. It's just Just kinda sitting out there on the swing, all alone, unsure what to make of itself, lol. But it's very easy to drink and a good gateway IPA. I usually grab a couple cold ones to compliment the other stuff. It's brewed by Steam Whistle in Toronto for this market, but only the regular IPA. I haven't tried any of the other ones.
Very rare for me not to finish a beer. The last one I dismissed was a truly awful raspberry imp stout from Cloudwater brewery. Just a horrible overload of sugar with overwhelming tart and bitter notes from the fruit. A very strange flavour and much too heavy. We actually have it on tap where I work currently, and I swear I haven't seen a single customer finish their glass. We should have finished the keg by now, but I think it may break the record for the longest a beer's stayed on our taps. Raspberry can work in stouts but I think it's a hard fruit to balance right. It doesn't work for these "throw anything at the wall" dessert beer concoctions IMO.
Honestly, I think I've dumped every sour I've tried. They find their way into the "mystery" bags sometimes, and I can't resist a good mystery.

Back
Top Bottom