• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Beer Appreciation Thread

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And how were those beers, Malthus?  Personally, I've had a lot better luck with Mikkeler than Yeastie Boys.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
And how were those beers, Malthus?  Personally, I've had a lot better luck with Mikkeler than Yeastie Boys.

I've not had anything from Yeastie Boys that's been more than servicable, personally. Not bad, just a bit middle of the road.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^They definitely take some risks.  I've accidentally been at two different tap takeover events they had at two different bars, so it provided a lot of opportunities for sampling things that I wouldn't have shelled out for a full pint.  Some interesting, some I detested actually, but couldn't find anything that was supremely drinkable.  I hear they've got some great offerings for fans of sours, but that's not me.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
I hear they've got some great offerings for fans of sours, but that's not me.

There's no style I don't like to some extent, with the possible exception of fruit beers, which I don't mind but just don't get much out of. Similar reasons why I don't like cider... just doesn't taste like something that needs to be alcoholic.

A good sour is right up my street, but it does depend on what type. I like them as dark, complex beers (like flanders reds) more than for light refreshment. Though the latter is fine if I'm in the mood.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ll not be appreciating beer for another 30 days. When we returned from holiday the weekend before last, the wife and I decided we needed a break. It’s already been 10 days and we’re going until at least the end of September. With lockdown we had gotten in the habit of having a few drinks every night and we decided to break the cycle. Still, I enjoy reading about others’ appreciation!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:

Both were really drinkable. I've personally been a fan of the Yeastie Boys output for the last couple of years after meeting the team at a variety of beer festivals

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I’ll not be appreciating beer for another 30 days. When we returned from holiday the weekend before last, the wife and I decided we needed a break. It’s already been 10 days and we’re going until at least the end of September. With lockdown we had gotten in the habit of having a few drinks every night and we decided to break the cycle. Still, I enjoy reading about others’ appreciation!

Good luck! I've had at least 12 drinks a day for years, spread out though. Taking a break sounds undoable for me

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since the pandemic, I haven't hit up any craft beer bars, so this local selection has been my go-to. I highly recommend it if you can find it.
e8dmDxV.jpg

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Good luck! I've had at least 12 drinks a day for years, spread out though. Taking a break sounds undoable for me

Thanks. It’s not bad at all for me. It wasn’t so much the volume as the fact that my wife and I had developed a habit of drinking something every night and we wanted to break that cycle. Plus we may have flattened the curve here, but I’ve certainly rounded the belly.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's been awhile, how are all you beer drinkers doing? Keeping the bellies under control, I hope.

libertas.jpg

Wanted to give a shoutout to Libertas Golden Ale, a local-ish beer that has consistently impressed me this past year. Fruitier and more complex than a lot of other golden ales I've had, this makes a great thirst quencher on a hot day.

What's been good for you guys lately?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm visiting family in cornwall so had a couple of old favourites, but generally not drinking much at the moment. Brought a beer down with me by Kernel, one of my favourites, but yet to crack that out yet.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A very pleasant one I had recently. Lighter than I'd have expected, but the flavor was very good. It was served ice old so I had to wait and wait and wait for the flavor to come out though.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've thankfully only had absolutely fantastic (in a different way) guides in the distilleries I've visited in Japan, Ireland, Singapore, and the US. Seems like quite a different experience than in Scotland.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Yeah, I got that, but I figured she's doing the bit because it resonates with those familiar with it. I assume there are "Craig"s out there guiding tours and she's doing a bang-on impression.
(Only Scottish tour I ever had was a walking tour of Edinburgh, and the dude was amazing, a real verbal artist. Guess I've picked some good tours!)

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My wife was gifted a big bottle of the Cherry Delirium and i thought it would taste like medicine, but was pleasantly surprised. I like most of their offerings!

Prost!

Top Bottom