• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Beer Appreciation Thread

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
you can hardly tell you're not drinking a Budwieser.

I strongly prefer to be able to tell I am not drinking a Budweiser... ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
TM2YC said:

:D but you know what I mean. A light Pißwasser type beer/lager/pilsner, whatever brand you prefer.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
TM2YC said:

:D but you know what I mean. A light Pißwasser type beer/lager/pilsner, whatever brand you prefer.

yes, I knew what you meant, I was just poking fun. :) I've sampled the Warsteiner NA you mentioned. It's not bad. 

I'm generally not a big lager fan though, and if I want something light, I usually default to a session IPA. Not quite as light, Rogue's Juniper Pale Ale is one of my favorite summer beers.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oooh, session ipa. That's a good one, and it is rather light.

I can't stand pilsners anymore. I used to love them, but most bars/restaraunts around here only serve shitty pilsners or corona and i got burned out on the whole taste. Maybe it'll come back. I hate regular Budweiser, but once upon a time I did like the black crown variant.

I do enjoy a nice corona light though.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only place to drink a pilsner is Czech Republic. Some of the lager I had there was a revelation.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't much like IPA or Hoppy/Citrus tasting beers in general. The rich/malty/chocolatey end of the flavour spectrum is more my speed.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't dismiss any style - entirely depends on my mood - but I'm not anywhere near as keen on IPA's as most seem to be. However, a good IPA is hard to beat on a hot Summer's day (however rarely they might occur over here).

Typically though, the dark spectrum is my favourite. A nice, barrel aged imperial on a winter (or British) evening always goes down well.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm an ipa guy, at least for the Moment. So you can once again get nae naed

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
get nae naed

V3R0H3y.gif

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a hot day and there's not a lot of choice, so I went with an Amstel. Boy, did I forget how bad this tastes.

The cold does not mask the chemical taste.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't much like IPA or Hoppy/Citrus tasting beers in general. The rich/malty/chocolatey end of the flavour spectrum is more my speed.

I had a bottle of Elgood's Cambridge Dark IPA yesterday. It was "rich/malty/chocolatey" + "Hoppy/Citrus" and it was frickin' delicious, so now I'm confused :D .

31416c179394d6b382041d698fb54901_c_746670303_640x640.jpg

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black IPA's can be awesome. Kernel India Porter and Buxton Imperial Black are particularly good.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
17043207.ko_.island.hopper.12oz.bottle.12pk.bottle.3d.u082418-1024x822.jpg

This has been my go-to beer for the last month or two. Liquid Aloha. Yummy yummy yummy.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
TM2YC said:

I had a bottle of Elgood's Cambridge Dark IPA yesterday. It was "rich/malty/chocolatey" + "Hoppy/Citrus" and it was frickin' delicious, so now I'm confused :D .

I'm very much in the rich/malty camp as well, and feel like the wall of IPA at the store just taunts me with its unappealing flavor.

Recently had this beer:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/959/14431/?ba=DoubleJ

Very nice one, reminds me of a cross between a Double Bock (Salvatore) and that one perfect Scotch Ale I had many years ago and have been trying for years to find its match.  Downside is it seems to actually lose some body if it warms up enough, and I'm not exactly sure how that works, but you have to keep it cool-ish.

Still on the quest for that perfect Scotch Ale.  The one I had was a pre-production batch that the brewery decided not to pursue, and it was fricken perfect.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Great beer names :D .

I'm currently experimenting with how long to put a bottle of beer in the freezer (from both chilled and room temperature starting points) to get it almost but not actually frozen. Obviously ambient temperature and the temps of the fridge and freezer play a part. I've achieved it in the past by simply forgetting to take the beer out and it was lovely ;) . I was reminded to try doing it again by this recent Mark Wiens video where they drink "snowy" beers in Thailand:

(skip to 11.30)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer my beer close to room temperature, especially darker beers. Chilling it too much kills the flavor.

CatBus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I prefer my beer close to room temperature, especially darker beers. Chilling it too much kills the flavor.

Which I think is the appeal of cold beer to some.  If you don't like beer, or you don't like the particular beer you have, drink it ice cold and it almost doesn't matter.  That said, there seems to be a fairly common opinion that beer should be cool like it came out of a dark cellar, not a fridge.  But I'm with you, room temperature is usually very good for the beers I like (except for the puzzling case of Magnificent Bastard, which lost some flavor above cellar temp).  Also, nobody ever tries to swipe my warm beer.  Or at least nobody tries twice ;)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warm beer. On purpose. Well now I've heard everything. :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
17936292._SX540_.jpg

Yeah a darker beer, a porter, a bitter, or ale etc is best at room temperature. You can taste all the flavours that way.

I had a hot/warm mulled beer in Poland once. It goes straight to your legs :D .

Top Bottom